Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:47 PM

108 posts, read 227,907 times

Advertisements

I am trying to amass a list of Black Gay Establishments of the past, PRIOR TO 1990. The white gay experience is often written about but not much Black Gay History in this country is known. If you know or have the names, addresses, pictures or ANY OTHER information about Black Gay Clubs, Bars, Lounges, Bath-Houses, Theaters or ANYTHING ELSE...PLEASE LIST THEM IF YOU DON'T MIND.

Where are/were the Black Gay communities in your town?

Anything prior to 1990, although current establishments would be welcome also.

I would definitely appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 11:40 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
Philadelphia has for a long time been a very Gay city. I never viewed a separation in the scene between Black nd WHite. Spruce, Locust, and Walnut sts are the prime Gay areas. A PGN is available on all the downtown street corners. Plus a Gay club like Woodys on 13th and Spruce has the paper available at no cost. I've always wondered about this, but that's another story.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Philadelphia has for a long time been a very Gay city. I never viewed a separation in the scene between Black nd WHite. Spruce, Locust, and Walnut sts are the prime Gay areas. A PGN is available on all the downtown street corners. Plus a Gay club like Woodys on 13th and Spruce has the paper available at no cost. I've always wondered about this, but that's another story.

Excuse my ignorance but I don't know what a "PGN" is? (LOL)

I don't live in Philly so does this paper have a website?

Could you name some of the clubs that Black folk frequent? Is Woody's one of them?

You said you have never viewed a separation, you mean there are NO predominantly black gay clubs in Philly? If true that would make Philly probably the ONLY major city where gay whites and blacks mix liberally in ALL of their clubs...would love to hear more.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:47 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
PGN = Philadelphia Gay News. The paper has been around a long time, and may be a good source for your research.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
PGN = Philadelphia Gay News. The paper has been around a long time, and may be a good source for your research.

Great resource, thank you very much. I really do appreciate it!

Old 06-23-2014, 07:53 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
Woody's, which is the main gay bar/club in the city, always has a strong black presence. Every time I've been it's always been a mix of black, brown, and white. Same goes for iCandy and Tabu as well. There isn't really a racial separation in the gay scene in Philly, at least from what I've noticed.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:06 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Woody's, which is the main gay bar/club in the city, always has a strong black presence. Every time I've been it's always been a mix of black, brown, and white. Same goes for iCandy and Tabu as well. There isn't really a racial separation in the gay scene in Philly, at least from what I've noticed.
I'd agree for the most part. However Philly is plurality black city. There are more blacks here than any other race, so it stands to reason that there are more gay blacks here than gays of any other race. So while I'd agree that those places have a lot of black people in them, I'd still say that the crowds there are mostly white. This leads me to believe there must be some gay bars, somewhere in the city that are mostly black. Unfortunately I don't know where they are or what they're called, sorry I can't be of more help, but I have to imagine they exist somewhere.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:11 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I'd agree for the most part. However Philly is plurality black city. There are more blacks here than any other race, so it stands to reason that there are more gay blacks here than gays of any other race. So while I'd agree that those places have a lot of black people in them, I'd still say that the crowds there are mostly white. This leads me to believe there must be some gay bars, somewhere in the city that are mostly black. Unfortunately I don't know where they are or what they're called, sorry I can't be of more help, but I have to imagine they exist somewhere.
Philly's gay scene is surprisingly small for a city it's size. Its basically concentrated in the Gayborhood (Washington Square West, if you will) and thats it. I have never heard of any gay black bars or clubs, but they could exist. I think the smaller scale nature of the Philly gay scene makes racial mixing much more of a normal thing then other major cities. I went to a bar in Dupont Circle in DC once, and the whole bar was completely white. Not a single Black, Asian, or Latino guy in sight. While I don't think it's to that extreme normally, I don't think that most cities have as mixed a gay social scenes as Philadelphia does, which makes it far more interest in my opinion.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post

MB1562
Thanks for the reply! I found all three of the clubs you mentioned and will add them to a list of current clubs/bars that Black Gay Friendly

but I think phillies2011

is correct that those are probably NOT predominantly black gay clubs. I will keep up my search and I thank both of you for taking the time to reply and help me out.

I agree with phillies2011, there has to be some black gay club hidden somewhere that has been around for ages as Philly is an old town with a lot of black folk in it. My grand uncles and aunts relocated to Philly in the 1920's and 30's and there was a large black community there then so??? I don't know but I will find them.

Still, I really do appreciate everybody's help and comments. They really are appreciated.

If you think of anything else, Black gay neighborhood, hang out areas...anything; Please don't hesitate to post it.

Loose Cannon I just reread your post and forgot to thank you. I will definitely check out those streets you mentioned. Back in the 80's New York's Village Voice cost a dollar everywhere except in Greenwich Village (NY's Gay Mecca at that time), down there the paper was free so...? I wonder about that also, maybe they just wanted to support the gayborhood.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:13 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Unless predominantly black gay bars advertise in the PGN or similar publications, I sense that their status is either on a "need-to-know" basis or they are non-existent. Good to know that the social scene in Washington Square West and thereabouts is diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia