Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
It's not possible to be a new yorker and not trash everywhere else and maintain sanity. Otherwise they'd have to admit they are over paying and move out
I'm not a New Yorker, but I used to live in NYC for a few years. Most NYers are quite indifferent to completely knowledgeable about cities outside of the U.S. that are outside of NYC. They seem to know more about non-American cities than domestic cities.

Never heard them trash other American cities, just not know anything about them. I think NJ people might trash other cities though, and a lot of NJ people sometimes get confused for being NYC people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 12:18 PM

74 posts, read 106,996 times
Default Insularity

Perhaps it is because so many of them live on islands, but after 18 years living in NYC and Long island, I agree that new Yorkers are insular in many ways when it comes to other U.S. cities and do not so much trash other U.S. cities as merely hold them all in disdain. Recently when asked why any part of me would possibly want to leave NY to return to Philadelphia, I responded "why is it New Yorkers cannot accept that people would want to live anywhere else." I then went into things like cost, inaccessibility of so many things and crowding. NY is great in many ways, but Nirvana it isn't

Old 09-16-2014, 12:47 PM

1,686 posts, read 946,677 times
Philly over NY for me for several reason that have been stated in this thread.

I lived all over in NYC - Manhattan (lower & midtown), Brook, Westchester etc. I was a broker on the NYSE for about 12 years.

My wife and I are moving to philly in the next year. We had a child that was treated @ CHoP (who we lost recently). We also have a daughter @ Pace in NYC. We're deciding to relocate to Philly based on a number of reasons but the most practicle one is the flat-out insultingly ridiculous cost of living in NYC. It's a joke. There is NO WAY a normal person with a reasonable job (sub $350k) could expect to live there. I'm there a lot as we still have tons of friends and family there as well as our daughter. There are 2 types of people who can move there now - kids, who don't mind piling 8 into a 2 bedroom or someone with A LOT of cash.

NY will always have a special place in my heart but I find Philly to be every bit as vibrant, charming and fun as NYC.

And I can access it for about a quarter or less of the cost as NYC. But even outside of that, NYC is fast-paced and crowded. It's part of it's charm and also it's persona. NY'ers embrace that and it works. Philly is bustling and vibrant. There's activity but it's not pushy.

The West Village of NYC is my favorite part of NY and I find CC and it's surrounding areas to be really similiar to the feel and mood of the village. And again, you can own a part of CC for a tiny fraction of what you would get in NYC.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-17-2014 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: Added the C to NY. There's a lot more of NY than the city. ;)

Old 09-16-2014, 09:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,797,374 times
based on what I hear from a lot of people who moved here from NYC, you can't make it in NYC making $40,000 to $60,000 a year because the studios and apartments are so expensive. So that's the one thing philly has over NYC, its cheaper

Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,831,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
based on what I hear from a lot of people who moved here from NYC, you can't make it in NYC making $40,000 to $60,000 a year because the studios and apartments are so expensive. So that's the one thing philly has over NYC, its cheaper
For us, it's more than just COL. It's QOL as well. Here are the things that stick out for us:

1. City of neighborhoods and the intimate feel you get almost anywhere in the city.
2. Little streets
3. Amazing list of affordable museums that challenge almost any city per capita.
4. More exciting food scene. NYC has more options and ultimately better food, but in Philly, it's a very exciting time for food. Grassroots effect due to reasonable rents.
5. Better location - Can get to Baltimore and DC more quickly. It's closer to home for us.
6. Working class, down-to-earth feel. NYC has some of this, but I think it's losing it in a lot of places. I feel at home in Philly because I grew up blue collar and I like the direct, but humble nature of Philadelphians.
7. Mural arts have covered the city in amazing displays of public art. This is something NYC has, but it has a different feel IMO.
8. Size of the city is more consumable for us. NYC is fun to visit, but we want short commutes to work and easy walks to key sites in the city.

That's not to say Philly is better than NYC in general, but it is to us.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:40 PM

31,896 posts, read 34,405,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
City of neighborhoods and the intimate feel you get almost anywhere in the city.
You don't think New York is a city of neighborhoods?

Old 09-17-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You don't think New York is a city of neighborhoods?
I do, but it doesn't feel intimate like Philly does to me.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:34 PM

23 posts, read 37,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
6. Working class, down-to-earth feel. NYC has some of this, but I think it's losing it in a lot of places.
Philly, like NYC, is also starting to lose that working class, down-to-earth feel.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORD View Post
Philly, like NYC, is also starting to lose that working class, down-to-earth feel.
I'm sure it is in Center City and University City (and other popular/transient neighborhoods), but a lot of the city still feels that way to me. I'm by no means an expert on the area btw, just my 2 cents.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:14 PM

275 posts, read 413,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORD View Post
Well yeah... Philadelphia, like NYC, is no longer an industrial city. It may not be working class or blue collar anymore, but I've always found Philadelphia to be a very down-to-earth city. It always has been, even going back to its Quaker origins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia