Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 09:13 PM

275 posts, read 415,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I respect Jane Jacobs opinions on keeping the architectutal style and keeping "eyes on the street" is an important concept of hers. Which i get. However I don't think she could have imagined the manufacturing industry to completely dissolve as a whole. IMO more suburban style housing is more appropriate for the area now a days. The project towers are finally being tore down. It's a good thing. Give these people a front yard to take care of. I am always surpised how well these type of neighborhoods are kept up compared to a row house block a street away. There is no way in the foreseeable future that there will be enough jobs to support the population so it's time to make the neighborhoods reflect the density. Also I dont agree with you about the vine street expressway either. To say an entire part of the city is inaccessible because of a highway entrance on the main road is silly. You know there is a cross walk on the other side of the street, buses, and a subway. Idk maybe I am wrong though
Well Philadelphia (with help from the federal government) followed your logic. Through the Hope VI program, they stuck suburban style housing projects one mile away from Reading Terminal. This will probably go down as one of the worst planning mistakes in the city's history as the surrounding areas (Temple, Northern Liberties, "the Loft District", etc) become rehabilitated. At least New York City had the sense not to do something that radical in (let's say) Brooklyn or the Lower East Side.

And have you every walked from Old City to the Northern Liberties? It's deserted and unpleasant around the expressway. Whether it's NYC or DC or Philadelphia, highways create barriers and cut cities and neighborhoods in half. No one wants to live by an interstate and no one likes to walk by an interstate.

Last edited by Frank Bones; 09-22-2014 at 09:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 04:22 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
That's the Met (Metropolitan Opera House). It's what's left of a formerly grand building, and is/was most recently used as a church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropo..._(Philadelphia)

Given the recent fate of historic theatres in the city (eg the Boyd/Sameric on Chestnut Street), it's doesn't look too likely...but it would be wonderful if it could somehow be restored.
I recall reading that the Met building is now owned by EB Realty Management Corp(Eric Blumenfeld) the same developer that is going to remake the Divine Lorraine. So maybe something will happen with it eventually.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:24 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
Well Philadelphia (with help from the federal government) followed your logic. Through the Hope VI program, they stuck suburban style housing projects one mile away from Reading Terminal. This will probably go down as one of the worst planning mistakes in the city's history as the surrounding areas (Temple, Northern Liberties, "the Loft District", etc) become rehabilitated. At least New York City had the sense not to do something that radical in (let's say) Brooklyn or the Lower East Side.

And have you every walked from Old City to the Northern Liberties? It's deserted and unpleasant around the expressway. Whether it's NYC or DC or Philadelphia, highways create barriers and cut cities and neighborhoods in half. No one wants to live by an interstate and no one likes to walk by an interstate.
Yes, People hate that section of Suburban housing. What is it called Yorktown? However that wasn't what I meant. IMO there is a really big difference between lower north philly and upper north philly. They should have never built that style of neighborhood so close to CC. If this was in Nicetown or farther up near Fern Rock, IMO this would be a desirable place for the residents of the area. Those sections are far and away the most dangerous parts of the city these days and people being crammed in isn't a good thing for the future of IMO.

Also, That side of broad would not be a pleasant walk, and no I haven't ever walked that stretch. But there isn't much to walk to except for residential areas in the lower part of Northern Liberties. Flip it to the other side of broad and I have walked up 20th plenty of times to go to Whole Foods. The highways do suck though I agree. Hurrying across Columbus Blvd. at night time is something I have done a number of times from Northern Liberties and It is not pleasant at all. Just my thoughts.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:19 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Yes, People hate that section of Suburban housing. What is it called Yorktown? However that wasn't what I meant. IMO there is a really big difference between lower north philly and upper north philly. They should have never built that style of neighborhood so close to CC. If this was in Nicetown or farther up near Fern Rock, IMO this would be a desirable place for the residents of the area. Those sections are far and away the most dangerous parts of the city these days and people being crammed in isn't a good thing for the future of .
I definitely get your negativity about Yorktown because it seems inappropriately placed nowadays and, therefore, has not aged well, IMO.

The Preservation Alliance website has an interesting article about its history if you care to look at it.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:40 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The Met. That was my Grandmother's church. It is absolutely humongous inside. It would be nice to see it restored for cultural events.
That was my grandmother's church also.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:00 PM

245 posts, read 311,067 times
Global city vs 1st-tier American city. The question is "what do YOU want"! One is not necessarily "better" than the other.... I have lived and worked in the NY area most of my life, and appreciate all that makes it A great city: Great museums, economy, diversity, the Yankees, etc...But, you need to put that against the trade-offs: massive expense, massive city to deal with, insanely fast pace of people (and workaholic attitude), and the need to use mass transit many times. and I HATE mass transit. You are competing against tourists, rich foreigners, and wide-eyed 25-year olds from Oregon trying to "make it" in everything you do. That's what drives up the cost. I've always hated Manhattan, but now the SUBURBS have gotten so expensive that it's unaffordable for many people. It used to be you could afford to live in a decent home in the suburbs with a working-class job. Not anymore. It costs us $1,300 per month to rent a 1-bedroom an hour outside of Manhattan at rush hour. I'm actually trying to relocate to Philadelphia right now because I'm tired of all this. It's just not worth it for the privilege of going to a NY museum or show twice a year. Philadelphia is just one-step more normal than New York in many ways, while still providing a lot of cultural opportunities: world class museums, 4 sports, and you get most of the same concerts/comedy tours that go to New York. And they usually cost half as much. I really fail to see how the original poster's friends thought Philly was so boring! Unless they're intellectuals that could only appreciate New York's art Museums and are constantly going to Broadway shows. And btw, many top-notch Broadway shows tour through Philly (and other cities) throughout the year. I used to be a typical NY-type, who thought the entire rest of the country between NY, LA, and Florida was just an empty blur, but I now realize how stupid that attitude is.

Last edited by slapshotbob99; 10-11-2014 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: incomplete

Old 10-11-2014, 01:26 PM

33 posts, read 49,651 times
Even as a Phillyborn, I agree NYC is better. For every 3 comic book stores in Philly, there's 10 in NYC. For every interesting convention Philly holds, NYC holds 5. For every neat concert that happens in Philly, NYC has 3.

NYC is better as far as entertainment. The stores are always open, even late past midnight. In Philly, you'll only see the bars open that late.

Art? Culture? **** that **** - museums are boring and even if you don't think they are, most people will only go to museums once every few months at most. Strip that away and what's left in Philly?

Even NYC's street naming system is better. Its subway system is pretty workable too.

That said, I do prefer Philly. Its air is cleaner, its not as crowded, its a walkable city, its way cheaper, and there isn't as much pollution. But I do think NYC's entertainment areas and job prospects far outstrip Philly's.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:15 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
NYC's street naming system is better?

Old 10-11-2014, 04:04 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
NYC's street naming is totally insane, come on!
How many times have I had to explain to people that 5th st, East 5th St, and N.5th street are totally separate streets in Brooklyn... Or Broadway vs. West Broadway vs East Broadway in Mnhtn.
And forget about Queens, with like 58th st, 58th rd, 58th ave, 58th place all running in different directions and crossing each other...haha.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:33 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
It used to be you could afford to live in a decent home in the suburbs with a working-class job.
Now New York obviously has a huge metropolitan area - and it of course depends which suburbs you are talking about (so I don't doubt it's true in your particular case)- but I'm fairly certain the cost of housing in the suburbs of New York (taken as one single entity) has long been more expensive than the cost of housing in the city (as a whole), and that this is still true. As is the case in most (if not all) cities in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia