Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 05:04 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's probably what most people think when they think "exciting." It's parties, lots of people out and about, etc. I mean, some people on here admit L.A. is more exciting than Philly. Is that because of the museums and world-class transit? Or is it because L.A. has wild and crazy parties, girls, girls and more girls, and wild and crazy parties?

I definitely think Miami is more exciting in the sense that single adults actually plan trips around it. The same case could be made for NOLA though I wouldn't particularly enjoy living there.
In that sense, State College, PA is exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 05:13 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
In that sense, State College, PA is exciting.
Where are the Air Tran, Delta and Air France specials to State College, PA?

It's not much of a debate whether Miami is more exciting than Philadelphia. It's freakin' Miami. Whether it's a better place to live or not is a different question.

The things people on here would point to to say Philly is exciting--basically parties, clubs, bars, etc--Miami has in greater quantity and quality. Bars, perhaps not, but good neighborhood bars aren't what draw in hot chicks from London, Rome and Sao Paolo. Neither do a good orchestra or museum.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Where are the Air Tran, Delta and Air France specials to State College, PA?

It's not much of a debate whether Miami is more exciting than Philadelphia. It's freakin' Miami. Whether it's a better place to live or not is a different question.
And I'm saying a city's party scene is only one facet of its excitement.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
And I'm saying a city's party scene is only one facet of its excitement.
So you guys consider Los Angeles a more exciting city than Philadelphia because....

People think Los Angeles is exciting because it has parties and celebrities. It's not because they think it's light rail system is so great. Or that the tacos are really good. It's exciting because you might roll up on Kim and Kanye.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
So you guys consider Los Angeles a more exciting city than Philadelphia because....
I never said anything about Los Angeles.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I never said anything about Los Angeles.
So what makes Philly more exciting than Miami? The Barnes? A conference for the National Association of Geographers? A tour of Independence Hall?

Old 10-22-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
So what makes Philly more exciting than Miami? The Barnes? A conference for the National Association of Geographers? A tour of Independence Hall?
The whole package--a wide variety of sights and activities (including bars and clubs) that can appeal to an equally wide variety of people. I don't disagree that Miami is more exhilarating in the short-term, but boozing it up and hitting the clubs gets old for most people. While a city like Miami attracts your attention, a place like Philly keeps you captive.

That's just the way I see it.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
The whole package--a wide variety of sights and activities (including bars and clubs) that can appeal to an equally wide variety of people. I don't disagree that Miami is more exhilarating in the short-term, but boozing it up and hitting the clubs gets old for most people. While a city like Miami attracts your attention, a place like Philly keeps you captive.
What wide variety of sights and activities? How many times are you going to go see the Liberty Bell? I can't remember the last time I was in a museum. However, I can easily remember the last time I was in a club. The ratio of club to museum/historical site visits for the average 25-45 year old in the U.S. is probably 100 to 1. In New York, a lot of people go out to clubs 3 or 4 times per week.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
What wide variety of sights and activities? How many times are you going to go see the Liberty Bell? I can't remember the last time I was in a museum. However, I can easily remember the last time I was in a club. The ratio of club to museum/historical site visits for the average 25-45 year old in the U.S. is probably 100 to 1. In New York, a lot of people go out to clubs 3 or 4 times per week.
Some people need more variety than others.

In any event, we've strayed far enough from the thread topic that I think we can agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:52 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:

People think Los Angeles is exciting because it has parties and celebrities. It's not because they think it's light rail system is so great. Or that the tacos are really good. It's exciting because you might roll up on Kim and Kanye.
I live here right now......& uh...No you won't. Maybe lot's of B- List actors and a slew of wannabes. (Cough EXTRAS)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia