U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casia View Post

We would prefer a historic type of town, with interesting architecture. We're looking for a brick or stone home.

I really appreciate it! I've looked through some old posts but I thought it would be more helpful and interactive to start a new thread. Thanks!
I'll suggest Chestnut Hill and nearby West Mount Airy(excellent choice newmarlig)They are both pleasant historic neighborhoods tucked away in NW Philadlephia. Very nice communities, Chestnut Hill is one of the top neigborhoods in the region.

The Mainline towns sound like a good fit for you as well.Relatively close to center City with Lots of character, architecture, decent shopping. Wayne,Bryn Mawr,Haverford,Narberth are a few of a dozen or so Mainline towns.

Media Pa. which is about 8 miles west of center city would be an additional option. Quaint, small town full of character which is surrounded by very safe upscale communities..

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 07:33 PM

5,673 posts, read 10,245,988 times
There are three train lines that run to Center City from Jenkintown, making for a very easy commute. Lots of stone and brick houses in the area as well.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:16 AM

27 posts, read 97,181 times
Swarthmore/Wallingford schools are phenomenal and Swarthmore sounds like what you are looking for town-wise. Septa has a stop there, or you can grab another line in Media, which can be important if one train line is down. Rose Tree/Media school district tends to be more expensive housing wise, but cheaper tax wise than Swarthmore, though you can mitigate this by buying an older home which will have lower taxes. Media also would be a fantastic town per your description. These two areas are very close to each other.

Though I am no longer an active Realtor, (we may be relocating ourselves and I just put my license in escrow today,) I'd be happy to point you in the right direction and give you a few names of people I've worked with who do a great job.

It's an exciting and anxious time.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 10,390 times
Thank you, everyone, for the helpful and detailed information! Your helpfulness alone makes me think I would like living in the area.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:48 AM

17 posts, read 64,666 times
Just a thought, not sure how long you plan on being in this house, BUT a word of caution on living in the actual city of Phila...the public schools are horrendous!

The inner suburbs such as Ardmore & Wayne are similar to where you are in IL with 2 of the best school districts in the state.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:39 AM

992 posts, read 3,287,613 times
Not sure where you're at money wise.

Moorestown NJ was voted best place to live by money magazine, last year.

It's pretty pricey though.

Last edited by billb7581; 12-19-2007 at 07:51 AM..

Old 12-19-2007, 05:58 PM

34 posts, read 92,660 times
Look at Newtown/Yardley in Bucks County. 30 miles from Center City with great little downtowns and great schools.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:31 AM

10 posts, read 41,360 times
I live in Ardmore currently but am moving in closer to the city to the Fairmount neighborhood by the Art Museum.

Given you live in Evanston now, I would certainly recommend towns on the Main Line. Narbeth, Ardmore and Bryn Mawr are all only a 20-30 train ride on the R5 to Suburban Station, right next to 2 Liberty Place. Schools are good, these are small walkable towns with decent dining and shopping options.

Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill are also great options. While located just within the City Limits of Philadelphia, they both very much have the feel of their own independent small towns. Again, a 20-30min ride on SEPTA's R7 or R8 lines to Center City.

I've personally decided to move to Fairmount, just outside the Center City (downtown). A great, safe neighborhood, where you can walk right into downtown. It is a more urban and dense that the other small downs listed above, but has a great community and should check it out.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:44 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
The public schools in center city are quite good.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 7,422 times
If you are willing to make a bit longer commute, you might look into Doylestown area or Central Bucks/Eastern Montgomery County. Its a bit less expensive then the Main Line area but not cheap. There is alot to do, good restaurants, lots of shopping and great schools and transportation to the city. Horsham Township is also a good area. Closer to the city is Chestnut Hill. Much depends on what you want to spend and quality of life vs. commuting time issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia