U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:22 PM

5 posts, read 10,390 times

Advertisements

We're likely relocating to Philly from Chicago in 2008 and I am starting our housing search.

My husband and I have a 5-month old son so we want something safe and appropriate for families, but we also value diversity and would prefer to be near good restaurants, and some stuff to do. "Urban-suburban" living would probably be best for us--either a quieter area of the city or a not-too-far-out suburb. My husband will be working at One Liberty Place.

We're flexible and can be happy most anywhere, just not in a very urban area due to our baby, and we wouldn't like a cliquey, overly suburban area either. I don't want to say "money is not option" but my searches prove comparable pricing to where we live now so I won't pay much attention to cost at this stage.

We would prefer a historic type of town, with interesting architecture. We're looking for a brick or stone home.

I really appreciate it! I've looked through some old posts but I thought it would be more helpful and interactive to start a new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by casia; 12-17-2007 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 01:40 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,763,115 times
Whats your price range? Are you looking for Oak Park,Lincoln Park, Evanston? (I lived in Wicker Park 12 years). Is your Hubby planning on taking the SEPTA (our local Metra) to work or is he driving? How far of a commute does he want?

Old 12-17-2007, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the reply!

We are in very southeast Evanston and absolutely love it here, 2 blocks from city limit. (I lived in Chicago and Oak Park, too. I am a Chicago native and have only lived in this area and NYC.) I visited Philly in the spring to get an idea of the city and if I'd like to live there, but we were only in the city.

Public transportation strongly preferred. (He could drive, but SEPTA is less of a headache.) I'd say 30 min. or under for him. I will be working from a home office.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:52 PM

So you want a middle income Vintage neighborhood that is close to the city yet very close to a small downtown shopping experience, with cafes and stuff, with a university town feel and about a 20 minute drive from Target, is that right? I'd suggest Ardmore but the cost may be a bit more, its right on the SEPTA R5 line, so 25 minutes to Suburban Station, a 15 minute walk to Liberty. (Ardmore is on the Maineline, which tends to be more expensive, The Mainline is like a drive from Downtown Evanston, thru Winnetka, Wilmette money). Maybe others have some better suggestions.....

Last edited by leighland; 12-17-2007 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: added the R5 stuff

Old 12-17-2007, 02:54 PM

Sounds nice, I will look into it. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:15 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,323,383 times
If you are considering S. Jersey as well, Haddonfield is a beautiful, historical town, very family-oriented, and just 20-25 min. outside of Center City, Philadelphia via PATCO. It has a cute downtown area as well with some very nice BYOBs and boutiques. Also along the PATCO line, in the same general vicinity but less expensive: Collingswood and Westmont. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2007, 03:22 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
West Mt. Airy would be another good option. Your husband can take the train into center city (The R8 line). Liberty Place is right across the street from Suburban Station.

http://www.wman.net/movingtomtairy.htm (broken link)

Old 12-17-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Liberty Place is right across the street from Suburban Station.
Its 2 city blocks from S Station. I like it but, fyi Casia, Mt Airy is a bit Lincoln Park-y, without the bars.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:02 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Its 2 city blocks from S Station. I like it but, fyi Casia, Mt Airy is a bit Lincoln Park-y, without the bars.
Not to nitpick, but you can go up the steps at 17th and Market, which is across the street from Liberty Place. And I have no idea what Lincoln Park is, so I can't offer any comments about that.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:11 PM

992 posts, read 3,287,613 times
Most of those historic towns are Cliquey. Riverton on the Jersey side is pretty nice, and there's a light rail stop right there.

Light rail takes you to Camden and you get downtown from there by bus or train I think... I'm not that hip on public transportation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia