U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Pros and cons of living in Philly, cost of living, crime rates, job market, housing and rental costs, need information for possible relocation

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:40 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times

Advertisements

You are in the right city for healthcare. Univ. of Pennsylvania Health care System is enormous.Along with Thomas Jefferson Hospital and Hahnemann Hosital all in Center City makes for plenty of health care jobs. The problem is $700-$900 doesnt go very far in Center City rent. Studios and 1 bedroom apts can be found in center city in that rent range but your accomodations will be very modest.

Crime happens in center city but its fairly infrequent and not an epidemic. It will be a drastic change from Raleigh though, this is a big city with all the good and bad traits associated with big cities.

Homeless/multi millionaires walk side by side or perhaps more precisely the millionaires usually have to step over the homeless.

Picture perfect spring + summer days where thousands and thousands of people are enjoying the cityscape are eventually replaced with winters 25 degree overcast windswept grey where seemingly you wont see a soul all day.

World class museums and architecture on one street, dilapidated crumbling buildings the next block over. This city has a dual personality in just about all phases imaginable.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 07:15 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Yes, there are lots of retired Yankees who moved here in the past and still moving here (this area sees about 40,000 people, mostly retirees, moving here every year). And please people don't take me wrong...I do think all these towns like Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Raleigh etc are all quiet and charming, which is why I think they are a retirement haven for many. But for people who love big cities and who must work, this is not the area I'd recommend, unless of course one is desperate to get out of a city and wants somewhere to go for a while. What attracted me here personally is the cheap rent, I was not mature enough (7 years ago) to do my research in the other aspects of life here, like the job market, ethnic diversity, etc, etc.
I was under the impression that there were a lot of younger techies that went down there for the opportunities at the Research Triangle Park. But since you've been there for 7 years and I've yet to even pass through, I'm sure you know much better than me.

I think you'll find that Philly has more of that "big city feel" that you're looking for. Of course, as your title suggests, you'll have to take the "good" with the "bad".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia