Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:38 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
13th and Market.

Also there's a huge useless lot between 5th and 6th from Chestnut north to Arch.
Lol. Indepence Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 06:20 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Are you aware that the saga of that space goes back 23 years and the One Meridian high rise fire, the years of litigation and the complete "foot dragging" to build something on that ugly corner? At least the Residences of the Ritz Carlton, which is sitting on the other part of that former mess, got built.
At least it got built? Isnt that what you should expect?
That parkinglot should be unnacceptable in the 5th largest city in the U.S.
Sometimes I think Philadelphians just accept things instead of shooting for the higher stars....

Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
At least it got built? Isnt that what you should expect?
That parkinglot should be unnacceptable in the 5th largest city in the U.S.
Sometimes I think Philadelphians just accept things instead of shooting for the higher stars....
That's precisely what I meant. It got built without the degree of insanity that seems to follow the "black hole" right next door to it. Who's accepting it? Most folks posting on this thread are tired of these lingering surface parking lots that seem to have no resolution.

And, yes, I agree completely that it is unacceptable to not start and complete a premier project on that parking lot.

A September breaking ground ceremony which would suggest a way forward? Okay, right. I'll believe that one when the cars are off of it, the land is being prepared for construction and cranes rise.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:24 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
A September breaking ground ceremony which would suggest a way forward? Okay, right. I'll believe that one when the cars are off of it, the land is being prepared for construction and cranes rise.
That's exactly where I am. The explanations shared by those posters about the overall development process are not news to me. Yes, the fact that hurdles such as financing, permitting, design finalization and others need to be cleared prior to actual construction is well-familiar. I've lived in a number of cities and have seen projects go from concept to completion, and though each city has its own unique permutations to this roadmap, there is nothing unique to Philly about the overall process.

When a developer announces a date on which conduction is ready to begin, in nearly every instance, this signifies just what it says. When a developer makes such an announcement and nothing happens for up to a year, however, it indicates there is some kind of snag. Sometimes the snags are overcome, and construction does take place, albeit later than the initial announcement. Other times, however, it is a sign that the project is not going to get off the ground. Like (I suppose) most of us positing, we'd like to see this project take off. But seeing a couple of developer-announced construction dates come and go doesn't instill the same confidence as seeing cranes on site. As confidently announced to the public on May 3, 2012:

“It is going through,” Katherine Tory, a member of Starwood’s development team, said Tuesday. “Construction is set to begin in about a year.”

She said the hotel could open as early as April 2014. The number of rooms, floors, and other details were still being worked out.

W Hotel planned for Chestnut Street - Philly.com

Finger's crossed, but given the moving target it's become over the past 2+ years, as kyb02 says: I'll believe it once the cars stop parking there.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:15 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
If the redevelopment of the Gallery is successful, I'm hopeful that the lot at 8th and Market will fill in:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...f514d88c3e58c1

As echoed by others, it's almost stupid that 15th and Chestnut looks like this:

The last lot to develop on my wish list is this one at 23rd and Cherry:

Good news for that one is that it sounds like it might actually happen: 2 New High-Rises Coming To Philly | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
I have emails from the developer of the W Hotel that I can share with you guys when I get back from my vacation if you guys would like. He never said early in the year. He originally said summer. And then narrowed it down to the month of August. But then project went through a redesign and it set is back a few weeks. Project will break ground by September.

The Waldorf Astoria was killed by the recession. So was the original W Hotel proposal and the majority of major projects across the United States.

You guys need to have a little more patience. These things take a long time. You can't compare Philly to New York City because it's not. NYC is one of the hottest cities for real estate in the world.

There are a ton of major projects happening in Philly right include a new tallest building. Philly is in a better position now to grow and for more to be built than it has been in decades. More projects will break ground. There is A LOT coming down the pipeline. If you don't think a lot of construction is happening in Philly take a stroll over to university city.

Stop being negadelphians.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:12 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
I'll never understand why folks are in such an ardent rush to have places they love change and/or be obliterated by development. Being slow to change is one of my personal favorite aspects of Philadelphia.*

*although in the case of vacant lots I typically make an exception. However, even vacant lots can add a lot to a city. Vacant lots and underutilized spaces are often magnets for creativity. They are largely responsible for the development of the mural arts program in Philly, for example. They are the sites for things like flea markets and other organic forms of urbanism. FDR skatepark came about because skaters reclaimed a space that noone wanted and made it unique and amazing. Commercial development of vacant lots can really kill some of that kind of energy in a city - it's not always a pure win.

Last edited by rotodome; 07-24-2014 at 01:21 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 02:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
However, even vacant lots can add a lot to a city. Vacant lots and underutilized spaces are often magnets for creativity.
While this can be true in a few instances, the OP is asking folks to point out the lots they'd like to see developed. Most of the examples I've seen suggested are magnets for a parking during the day and dark and abandoned blocks at night.

As for this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I have emails from the developer of the W Hotel that I can share with you guys when I get back from my vacation if you guys would like. He never said early in the year. He originally said summer. And then narrowed it down to the month of August. But then project went through a redesign and it set is back a few weeks. Project will break ground by September.

The Waldorf Astoria was killed by the recession. So was the original W Hotel proposal and the majority of major projects across the United States.

You guys need to have a little more patience. These things take a long time. You can't compare Philly to New York City because it's not. NYC is one of the hottest cities for real estate in the world.

There are a ton of major projects happening in Philly right include a new tallest building. Philly is in a better position now to grow and for more to be built than it has been in decades. More projects will break ground. There is A LOT coming down the pipeline. If you don't think a lot of construction is happening in Philly take a stroll over to university city.

Stop being negadelphians.
Great, but an mail is not a construction crane. I'll still believe it when I see it. I've grown to be that way, because at my age, I've seen several "sure things" fall through the cracks. Does this make me negative or pragmatic? I see lots of positive developments occurring across the city and really want to see this one take off as well. It will provide a burst of energy to a centrally located nexus of CC that is only getting better as it is. Is it really true on this site that asking a few questions about a project that's fallen behind schedule without public comment from the developers labels me a "negadelphian?" I thought negadelphians never see anything positive about the city and root for failure. I don't see my posting history on topics related to my adopted city reflecting this behavior, so I can only conclude my questions on this particular development are not welcomed. I guess I'm just supposed to drink the kook-aid, keep my trap shut and accept the developers at their word?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:46 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
While this can be true in a few instances, the OP is asking folks to point out the lots they'd like to see developed. Most of the examples I've seen suggested are magnets for a parking during the day and dark and abandoned blocks at night.
Of course. But there was discussion after the original post which, along with the preponderance of posting on this forum, was the context for my remarks (which you only partially quoted up there).

Old 07-24-2014, 02:48 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I guess I'm just supposed to drink the kook-aid, keep my trap shut and accept the developers at their word?
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia