Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:01 AM

15 posts, read 22,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf3971 View Post
Well said....Additionally, I think the media completely distorts the reality of what is going on in the region...then you get yoyos like the guy above who make completely uninformed comments based on nothing in reality..But he has no basis for his misinformation other than the the US media...so his perception is his reality....its a sad commentary

A visit to the region would find the VAST majority of Jews wanting peace. To say that Jews hate all Muslims is insanely uninformed and prejudiced. I'd venture to say the reverse is the same for the Palestinians.

When people are no longer being used as pawns for the powers that be, maybe there will be peace. Hamas is a serious impediment, but the Israeli right wing certainly doesn't help.
Totally agree mate, ive yet to meet a jew that hates muslims and yet to meet a muslim who hates jews. But the problem is islamists and zionists who dont care about anything or their people. No religion teaches to kill another religion, infact islam states if you kill someone from another religion you are killing all of humanity.

Also as you say we have a media who brainwashes people, main problem is money and religion os used as a an excuse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 08:34 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kankalar View Post
Hi Guys

I just wanted to ask the residents of Philadelphia the above question, why is Philadelphia so different from other cities not only in America but worldwide that muslims wont get many problems living there?

For what its worth I don't care what religion anyone is, I have friends of all religions and im muslim myself. Im from Scotland and especially with whats going on in Palestine/Israel , Iraq, Afghanistan , Syria etc muslims are getting a bad name these days.

Majority of muslims are like all other religions in that we just want peace and to get one with our lifes, unfortunately the minority of idiots give us a bad name.

Ive never been to philly so im only going on what ive read online, im hoping to visit one day to see a sixers game and do the Rocky tour :-)
More qualified people can address this. But I suspect a couple of reasons are that the Muslims here are majority native born. That is not only are they native born Americans but they are native born Philadelphians.

Many Muslims here are black and I do not sense any friction between black Christians and black Muslims either.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
The rapper freeway has a cool beard lol
Haha, yeah and is actually a pretty cool guy from what I've heard; My brother met him at Austin SXSW. He also seems pretty true to his faith-has travelled to Mecca, doesn't drink, etc.

Give Us Free: Philly Rapper Freeway Reps the City Hard | Features | Music | Philadelphia Weekly

Freeway

Old 07-22-2014, 10:06 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Because muslims are awesome people. Isn't it really only Israel that hates the muslims? Why should we hate muslims for them?
"Israel" doesn't hate "Muslims." Read up on the conflict before making statements like that.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:22 AM

154 posts, read 215,338 times
We have freedom of religion in this country. What are supposed to do, harass people?

Most of the "Muslims" in Philly aren't "real" Muslims...they're a bunch of guys who went to prison and "converted" to the FOI gang. You gotta do what you gotta do to survive.

Many of the young people seem to do it as a fashion trend. When I see someone wearing Timberland boots under Islamic style of dress, I'm not really impressed.

Then there's the NOI guys who wear bow ties and sell Final Call newspapers. They remind me of Hurricaine Schwartz.

I leave people alone and they leave me alone. I even let my children buy ice cream from the immigrant Muslims (true Muslims) who have the Mister Softee routes in the neigborhoods.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:40 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Rock View Post
We have freedom of religion in this country. What are supposed to do, harass people?

Most of the "Muslims" in Philly aren't "real" Muslims...they're a bunch of guys who went to prison and "converted" to the FOI gang. You gotta do what you gotta do to survive.

Many of the young people seem to do it as a fashion trend. When I see someone wearing Timberland boots under Islamic style of dress, I'm not really impressed.

Then there's the NOI guys who wear bow ties and sell Final Call newspapers. They remind me of Hurricaine Schwartz.

I leave people alone and they leave me alone. I even let my children buy ice cream from the immigrant Muslims (true Muslims) who have the Mister Softee routes in the neigborhoods.
Black (really, African American) Muslims and the Nation of Islam are two very different things. The former is true Islam with an African American cultural focus. The latter is a reactionary hate group whose tenets are repugnant to mainstream Muslims.

That said, I would like to see what a bean pie tastes like one of these days.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,815,184 times
Jailhouse Islam - The Radicals Among Us | Articles

Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Hi Guys

I just wanted to ask the residents of Philadelphia the above question, why is Philadelphia so different from other cities not only in America but worldwide that muslims wont get many problems living there?

For what its worth I don't care what religion anyone is, I have friends of all religions and im muslim myself. Im from Scotland and especially with whats going on in Palestine/Israel , Iraq, Afghanistan , Syria etc muslims are getting a bad name these days.

Majority of muslims are like all other religions in that we just want peace and to get one with our lifes, unfortunately the minority of idiots give us a bad name.

Ive never been to philly so im only going on what ive read online, im hoping to visit one day to see a sixers game and do the Rocky tour :-)
It's largely due to Philadelphia's long history of religious tolerance going all the way back to the Quakers of the 17th century. It's not that uncommon in certain parts of the city to see Muslim women in full burkas like this one for example. Philly is a lot more tolerant of different cultures than a lot of people give it credit for.

http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00...2a4e970b-800wi

Old 07-22-2014, 12:58 PM

15 posts, read 22,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's largely due to Philadelphia's long history of religious tolerance going all the way back to the Quakers of the 17th century. It's not that uncommon in certain parts of the city to see Muslim women in full burkas like this one for example. Philly is a lot more tolerant of different cultures than a lot of people give it credit for.

http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00...2a4e970b-800wi
A think some of the issues above like the prisons is true, but as you say i think the city deserves more credit. Even normal muslims are quoted as saying they have not had any issues there.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:58 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Rock View Post

Most black muslims converted to Sunni Islam by the 80s. Saying most muslims in Philly are fake prison converts is pretty disrespectful.

I'm sure you have no problem with people wear crosses yet murder steal and fornicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia