Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Meatheads in Philadelphia
Strongly Agree 8 36.36%
Somewhat Agree 8 36.36%
Somewhat Disagree 3 13.64%
Strongly Disagree 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:30 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's your definition of Meathead?

Seems like everyone has a slightly different definition.

I'm asking, because Baltimore surprises me. I always heard it was a bit laid-back and really quirky. Which seems kind of opposite of any definition of meathead.

But, maybe I don't know Baltimore then.
A meathead is working class. Not an intellectual. Not terribly well educated. Being bigoted is an option.

When this was a nation of factories there were large numbers of meatheads. As I said before, the whole premise of All in the Family was that Archie was a meathead who constantly called his college-educated son-in-law Meathead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 09:11 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Definitely. Go to an Eagles game, Mummers parade or spend time in Souf Fluffya. Meatheads are proud of their meatheadism with every fall-down drunk, fight they start or act of road rage

I took a plane out of Philly to West Palm Beach and the Meatheads were actually cursing each other and threatening to fight because the front Meatee's werent putting their luggage away fast enough. When a young Meatlette girl fell over drunk in a row of seats, I thought this was the coolest flight I have ever been on in my entire life !! Lolz

Old 08-24-2014, 12:17 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Definitely. Go to an Eagles game, Mummers parade or spend time in Souf Fluffya. Meatheads are proud of their meatheadism with every fall-down drunk, fight they start or act of road rage

I took a plane out of Philly to West Palm Beach and the Meatheads were actually cursing each other and threatening to fight because the front Meatee's werent putting their luggage away fast enough. When a young Meatlette girl fell over drunk in a row of seats, I thought this was the coolest flight I have ever been on in my entire life !! Lolz
Yeah they are loads of entertainment.

There are just as many if not more, proportionally, in Baltimore. They call them good ol' boys/girls. In fact in Philly they are more often called good ol' boys/girls. Meathead is more of a NY/North Jersey term.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:36 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
"Meathead" - from a native Texan marrying a 'Jersey girl:

A male from 21 to 65 years of age. He's of European descent but his ancestors arrived in the United States after 1840; more likely after the Civil War. Typically darker hair, sometimes a full head of hair and other times balding. Hairier than the average man. Stocky build of any height, but prone to developing a pot belly. Either loves sports, or betting on sports (or both). Typically a die-hard baseball and football fan....iffy on basketball and hockey.

He's not "dumb" but doesn't like people that underestimate his intelligence. Tends to have a blue-collar background and may work in a blue collar occupation.

Basically this describes half of the men in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:37 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Meathead is in the eye of the beholder. The term wasn't new but gained popularity with All in the Family. Yeah, that long ago. . .the irony was that Archie called Mike Meathead when clearly it was Archie who was the meathead.
Archie the meathead and Mike the left-wing moonbat.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:48 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post

I don't know, Lion-O. JFK to Ft. Lauderdale would probably be just as bad, if not worse.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:56 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I don't know, Lion-O. JFK to Ft. Lauderdale would probably be just as bad, if not worse.
For sure . . .
And Miami probably even worse than that

Last edited by thunderkat59; 08-25-2014 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 07:05 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,135 times
Let's let the Urban Dictionary settle this: Urban Dictionary: meathead

Old 08-28-2014, 08:24 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,971 times
Meathead = Working/lower class, Eastern or Southern European ancestry, high school degree or trade school/associates at the most, obsessed with sports, treats women like crap, drinks heavily, short temper.

Philly has a recognizable meathead population, Nothern New Jersey/NYC and even Pittsburgh has a higher percentage of meatheads.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 AM

23 posts, read 37,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
Meathead = Working/lower class, Eastern or Southern European ancestry, high school degree or trade school/associates at the most, obsessed with sports, treats women like crap, drinks heavily, short temper.

Philly has a recognizable meathead population, Nothern New Jersey/NYC and even Pittsburgh has a higher percentage of meatheads.
So only people with Eastern or Southern European ancestry can be "meatheads"? Please, enlighten us some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia