U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Philadelphia; seek advice on overall impression of city, crime rates, city in decline or on the rise, metro area positives and negatives

View Poll Results: Philadelphia Thumbs up-Thumbs Down- Ehhh not in my conciousness
Philadelphia city on the rise 51 67.11%
Philadelphia city in decline 15 19.74%
Philadelphia- Dont care 10 13.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Status: "Thou Shalt Not Lick the Surfaces of the "T"" (set 6 days ago)

31,055 posts, read 68,875,531 times

Advertisements

I've long hoped that Scranton/Wilkes-Barre could someday have passenger rail lines established linking it to both New York City and Philadelphia. There are now solid plans to link Scranton to Hoboken, NJ in about another 5-7 years, but there have never been any plans (to my knowledge) to link the fourth-largest metropolitan area in the state to Philadelphia.

I love Philadelphia. However, one thing that must be eradicated before it can ever be reborn is the WAGE TAX. Of course reducing the crime rate will help somewhat, but just look at Scranton as a prime example of a classic historic city with nearly no crime that continues to suffer from white flight due simply to its 3.4% city wage tax. Philadelphia could likewise cut its crime rate down to near zero, but as long as it has such an oppressive wage tax in place, very few will consider moving back into the city from the suburbs/exurbs. I know this firsthand because with all of those who I've come very close to clinching with a move to the city, all of those who fell through and wound up in the suburbs cited the wage tax as the deciding factor. Had Scranton's wage tax not been so high, several more families from this forum alone would have moved there. I'm sure the same could be said for Philadelphia. As long as it makes more sense from a tax perspective to live in the suburbs and commute into the city, people will continue to move out of Philadelphia---crime or not.

I personally like Philadelphia better than New York City, and I'm hopeful that linking Scranton via rail to both cities in the future will help our city to blossom. The City of Brotherly Love is definitely on the rise, in my opinion. This should be a warning sign though for those in the suburban areas to remain more vigilant---gentrification and rising home prices in the city proper will push lowlives and criminals into the suburbs. As Scranton has become an exurb of New York City and New Jersey, we've likewise been seeing more criminals moving here to find a less expensive avenue to peddle their drugs; heroin busts are commonplace.

With Mayor Nutter Butter (sorry...I couldn't resist!) at the helm, we can only hope that Philadelphia will flourish. As I said, the city needs to focus not only on crime but also on reducing the wage tax. It will truly flourish once both of these goals are accomplished, especially once gasoline hits $4/gallon at some point this year and suburbanites with their SUVs realize who expensive it is to live on their cul-de-sacs when they could move into a safe city neighborhood with a lower wage tax and be within a short walk of many conveniences or to SEPTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 12:52 PM

20,324 posts, read 18,322,261 times
My personal opinion is that the city has improved generally along with most major cities and benefitted from economic spill over from NYC and the suburbs. A lack of leadership and drive for change from its citizens still holds it back. Any type of national downturn economically will undo what gains its made. If Nutter does a good job and gets a competent staff behind him and gets the people on board, it can make good progress. If he's another John Street, then look for more of nothing much. I think the next year or two will be rocky, nationally and locally on the economic front. Real estate drop off, the credit crunch, fuel prices, crime, this will hit the city hard but not as hard as some.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:35 PM

88 posts, read 317,179 times
Sorry I'm late to the conversation...

I currently live in Northern NJ, 10 miles west of NYC. I work in NYC. I had to attend a meeting in Philly a few months back and my 1 hour stay turned into an all day affair!! I was amazed at what Philadelphia is all about!! I did the typical sightseeing in Center City but I really had the impression that it is a clean town...I know I will probably get laughed right off of here but I sincerely enjoyed Philadelphia. If it wasn't 2 hours from NYC(with light traffic), I would move there because its cheaper than where I live now and I could get more for my money. This opinion is from an outsider who never had been to Philadelphia. When I got back to NYC, I told a co-worker who is a Philly native how much I enjoyed Philly and she looked at me like I had 2 heads!! I think natives in ANY city have a tendency to hate more than an outsider with a fresh perspective...just my 2 cents.....

Old 03-08-2008, 09:33 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
^^^now that's what i'm talkin about!

Old 03-08-2008, 02:33 PM

186 posts, read 519,584 times
Default Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Curious to what the general concensus of Philadlephia is from a national perspective ?

From your point of view is Philadelphia a city on the rise, a city in decline, or a city you couldn't give two beans about.Some of the larger cities have very prestigious reputations others are horrific. Where does Philadlephia fit on the scale?

Seperate from the city poll question, expanding the subject a bit what is your perception of metro Philadelphia. If your workplace had to relocate you to metro Philadlephia what is your reaction. Ok with it,Severe depression, or I have no clue what I am about to get into?
Without question, I give Philly a massive thumbs up! It is my favorite American city by far. I make it a point to visit at least once a year. You can only get a real cheesesteak and hoagie in Philly.

I will be going this yr in May and never tire of seeing the sites and taking photos of the city. I've been to alot of cities and while they all have their places to boast about, I feel so alive and happy in Philly. First thing I do when I get off the plane is snag my rental car and go into the city for either steak or hoagie, depends on what I'm feeling like.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:06 PM

17 posts, read 64,925 times
we live in NYC now and will likely be relocating for job reasons in the next year or so. Honestly, we are not particularly thrilled about the move and I think a lot of it has to do with 1) the sadness of leaving a city we love and 2) the fact that my research has shown that philly sounds like more dangerous of a place than we're used to.

However, we are trying to be optimistic. We have heard that Philly food is fantastic (is it??)... and.... it's much more affordable than NYC.

And, finally, I spent most of my childhood in Ohio and I just remember that my perception of Philly was that it was a major city, but not that major.

I don't make much sense, I know. Either way, I'm trying very hard to be optimistic about our move to Philly

Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 PM

3,485 posts, read 8,318,272 times
NYCperson - in another thread you asked about living in Center City in the Rittenhouse Square area. Assuming you've been living in Manhattan below 110th Street, in one of the gentrified parts of Brooklyn or Queens, or in Hoboken, if you move to the Rittenhouse Square area, I think you'll really like Philadelphia (and you won't have safety concerns either). Seriously. Philly is not NYC, but then again NO PLACE in the U.S. is truly comparable to NYC. Likewise, Philly is a major city, but it won't seem so major compared to NYC (something that would also be true with every other city in the U.S.). It is a lot bigger and I believe has more to offer than any place in Ohio however.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 AM

2,804 posts, read 5,466,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
NYCperson - in another thread you asked about living in Center City in the Rittenhouse Square area. Assuming you've been living in Manhattan below 110th Street, in one of the gentrified parts of Brooklyn or Queens, or in Hoboken, if you move to the Rittenhouse Square area, I think you'll really like Philadelphia (and you won't have safety concerns either). Seriously. Philly is not NYC, but then again NO PLACE in the U.S. is truly comparable to NYC. Likewise, Philly is a major city, but it won't seem so major compared to NYC (something that would also be true with every other city in the U.S.). It is a lot bigger and I believe has more to offer than any place in Ohio however.
I LOVE Rittenhouse Square and the immediate area. The parking can be a challenge, but it's a great place to spend a sunny afternoon over a nice meal, drink, coffee or just people watching in general.

I spent a lot of time in the Philadelphia area back in the 90s due to work. After leaving the company, I didn't return to the region for almost 10 years since I associated the area with my old job. I recently visited last summer and a lot of positive changes are happening in the city and it was great to be back here, despite my bad feelings in the past. I really believe Philly is on a comeback and will be an even greater place to live, work and play. Now that I live in Pa. again, I hope to visit the area at least once a month.

Last edited by Gil3; 03-26-2008 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-26-2008, 09:36 AM

162 posts, read 633,618 times
A guy once asked me how was Philly when I lived there back in the 80's and I had one word- "chill"- Philly is alright with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or