Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:18 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Honestly, I think you guys are reading waayy too much into a random urban/suburban comment. It's really the least important aspect of what happened, and IMO shouldn't be dominating the discussion.
Agreed. Here's a part of the discussion that I haven't really heard that much about that I think is being totally overlooked.

After the basketball coach was fired (or resigned or whatever) the Archbishop Wood spokesman Kenneth Gavin said the following:

Quote:
We expect all those who work with students in our schools to model appropriate Christian behavior at all times.
Really? The same catholic church that teaches children that homosexuality is immoral and those who are homosexual will go to hell? Now I understand that the church definitely does not teach to beat up and assault gays nor anyone else for that matter. But while the church didn't teach that animal to assault a human being, they did give him the affirmation that homosexuality is wrong. It is this type of teaching that helps to foster the viewpoint that homosexuals are immoral and somehow less deserving of dignity and respect than other people.

I applaud Archbishop Wood for how they handled the situation by talking with the students after it was discovered that the perpetrators of this heinous beating were their alumni and their quick firing of McGlin. But I think it takes a lot of audacity to say as they fire him that he should have behaved more "christian" when their very institution is part of the problem. Sooner or later they're going to have to reconcile the fact that the very teachings of their faith are a big reason why stuff like this happens. You can't pour nonsense into these kid's heads and then act horrified when those chickens come back to roost.

Luckily pope Frank seems to be trying to move the church past their bigoted stance on the LGBT community but it seems some catholics especially in this area (ahemmm CHAPUT) are slow to receive the message.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:44 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Honestly, I think you guys are reading waayy too much into a random urban/suburban comment. It's really the least important aspect of what happened, and IMO shouldn't be dominating the discussion.
Agreed, sorry for contributing to the tangent everyone.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:06 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
The bashers are claiming self defense. I don't see that as being possible.
You are assuming a motive here with your use of the term "basher". I don't see how the accused group could have possibly known what the sexuality of these 2 men were, they were presumably strangers to them.

The police are investigating right now.

There are fights all the time in a tough city like Philadelphia, it isn't beyond the realm of plausibility that this could have just been exactly that. It could have been over anything.

That's why we have investigations and trials, and just don't accept the words of the side that got the worst of an altercation.

Jumping to conclusions before all the facts come in can make people look foolish, if you'll remember the lacrosse jocks in Durham and Tawana Brawley, both of which were initially labeled as hate crimes as well.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:43 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
You are assuming a motive here with your use of the term "basher". I don't see how the accused group could have possibly known what the sexuality of these 2 men were, they were presumably strangers to them.

There are fights all the time in a tough city like Philadelphia, it isn't beyond the realm of plausibility that this could have just been exactly that. It could have been over anything.

That's why we have investigations and trials, and just don't accept the words of the side that got the worst of an altercation.

Jumping to conclusions before all the facts come in can make people look foolish, if you'll remember the lacrosse jocks in Durham and Tawana Brawley, both of which were initially labeled as hate crimes as well.
Yea Rittenhouse square is a really rough and tumble part of town. Street gangs of corporate lawyers and wealthy yoga moms have been battling over turf for years.

The fight could have been over anything. Could have been over whether or not the moon was made of cheese. Could have been over any number of things except it wasn't. There were NUMEROUS eye witness accounts. Gay slurs were clearly yelled while at least a dozen people severely beat two people.

These are not just the words of the side that got beat up. These are the words of the side of EVERY witness that has come forward. The only people singing a different tune are the thugs who committed the crime.

Thanks for stopping by with your public service announcement on not rushing to judgement though. I'm sure you put forward the same message whenever a crime is perpetrated by people who aren't white suburbanites.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:54 AM

36 posts, read 43,734 times
Look I ain't trying to **** anybody off. I do believe this is wrong. If the gay people where minding their own business and where just attacked for being gay then that is wrong.

Although, being from Philly and growing in a christian faith based I do feel like the media is trying to hard to force "being gay is okay" on people. Especially within the northeast. Like its almost being straight now isn't cool and if your not going out of your to be nice to someone who is gay is almost a sin.

I personally do not agree with "homosexuality", but the Bible said we are to hate the sin, but lover the sinner. So anyone who claims to be of any religious faith shouldn't be bashing are trying to harm gays but better yet praying for them, because they are people too.

Although people need to respect the fact that not everyone is going conform with "homosexuality". Many religions not just Christianity are against the idea of it, so you can't expect people to just completely change their mentally over night.

I know many "non - religious" people as well who feel the same way. As if the media is going out their way to show how perfectly normal and okay it is being gay and how all of us should just accept it for what it is. Quite frankly its getting annoying and they really need to ease up on it.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:05 AM

111 posts, read 150,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

And there are still people that believe OJ was guilty

Old 09-20-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murda_Mook215 View Post
Look I ain't trying to **** anybody off. I do believe this is wrong. If the gay people where minding their own business and where just attacked for being gay then that is wrong.

Although, being from Philly and growing in a christian faith based I do feel like the media is trying to hard to force "being gay is okay" on people. Especially within the northeast. Like its almost being straight now isn't cool and if your not going out of your to be nice to someone who is gay is almost a sin.

I personally do not agree with "homosexuality", but the Bible said we are to hate the sin, but lover the sinner. So anyone who claims to be of any religious faith shouldn't be bashing are trying to harm gays but better yet praying for them, because they are people too.

Although people need to respect the fact that not everyone is going conform with "homosexuality". Many religions not just Christianity are against the idea of it, so you can't expect people to just completely change their mentally over night.

I know many "non - religious" people as well who feel the same way. As if the media is going out their way to show how perfectly normal and okay it is being gay and how all of us should just accept it for what it is. Quite frankly its getting annoying and they really need to ease up on it.

This assault has absolutely nothing to do with anyone's religious beliefs. To insert the views of conservative Christianity into the mix and to somehow make it seem that it was ok to beat these two men because the media is pro gay is absurd.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:22 AM

36 posts, read 43,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don163 View Post
This assault has absolutely nothing to do with anyone's religious beliefs. To insert the views of conservative Christianity into the mix and to somehow make it seem that it was ok to beat these two men because the media is pro gay is absurd.
You obviously didn't even read what I said. In no way safe or form did I condone what happened.
Read over again guy.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murda_Mook215 View Post
You obviously didn't even read what I said. In no way safe or form did I condone what happened.
Read over again guy.
I understand what you wrote. You're injecting the views of your brand of Christianity as if it has any bearing on what happened. It's totally irrelevant to the incident at hand. to imply that the media , because they're presenting a pro gay agenda is somehow responsible for this is wrong.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:32 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
I was raised Catholic and I'd have to agree with this article, just as it pertains to these individuals.

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...ng-gay-couples

"The Catholic Church has spent the last 30 years arguing that LGBT people who want full civil equality are attacking Catholics—that gay people, simply by existing, are doing violence to Catholics—and then they pretend to be shocked when Catholic young adults attack gay couples in the streets.

We shouldn't pretend along with them."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia