Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,482 times

Advertisements

This is America and Geno's absolutely has the right to post that sign. Just as I have the right to buy my cheesesteaks from Pat's, which I will do from now on. I did love Geno's but I can not support their attitude.

Personally I don't believe anyone attempts to order in another language, I believe they have a thick accent which most thick headed people can't get past. Hard to understand because many people from south Philly also have an accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,620,398 times
Ok, I'm sorry as I know I'll get a lot of recourse for this comment but we do live in the USA, our language is English. When I visit other countries I either find a translator or really do my best to study up on some basic conversational words / phrases. It absolutely drives me nuts if I'm in line somewhere and the person ahead of me doesn't speak a lick of English or understand it hence holding everyone up. I feel if you are going to make your life here, fine, no problem but do it the right way, do it legally and learn the language! I was at the drivers license center one day updating my license and there was a woman there trying to get a license and no kidding, did not speak a single word of English. The employees there was so annoyed, and not that they are the pictures of personality themselves but come on! I think the cheeseteak guy has every right to ask people to speak English. It's his business and to be honest I'm glad he did it. I feel bad that it's turned so ugly but he does have that right and maybe he got fed up with people ordering and not understanding them. Who can blame the guy? You know what they say, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" - Speak English if you are in the United States of America!!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:28 PM

162 posts, read 682,422 times
Or better yet, how about the foreigners who own restaurants who speak broken English. My coworkers spent 15 minutes on the phone trying to order food from the Asian cooks at a restaurant called "American deli". Obviously they were having trouble understanding the English speaking customers.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:25 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,335,811 times
I was on holiday in the US from England last month and had a few days in Philadelphia. A friend played tour guide and one of the places she took me to was Geno's and, while she got the drinks, I went to order myself a Philly cheese steak. I couldn't understand what the guy serving was saying to me! My friend had to come and translate! So perhaps Geno's should ensure that their staff can speak understandable English before judging others.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:42 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,193,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I was on holiday in the US from England last month and had a few days in Philadelphia. A friend played tour guide and one of the places she took me to was Geno's and, while she got the drinks, I went to order myself a Philly cheese steak. I couldn't understand what the guy serving was saying to me! My friend had to come and translate! So perhaps Geno's should ensure that their staff can speak understandable English before judging others.
That's how we talk. Sorry, but the British accent is incredibly difficult to decipher, especially compared to people from other countries.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:49 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,335,811 times
But the guy behind the counter had no difficulty understanding what I was saying. If he had I'd have said so in my post. And this was the only time in my four US visits that I haven't been able to comprehend what an American was saying to me.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:09 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,193,828 times
k

Old 11-04-2008, 12:20 AM

34,173 posts, read 18,460,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Those poor, oppressed Anglophones...their culture is dying.

Really? The International language of business is ENGLISH. If you want to climb the socio-economic ladder in the U.S. you must speak ENGLISH. Go anywhere in the WORLD and Air Traffic Control and pilots must speak ENGLISH.

Allowing immigrants the ease of speaking their native language in the U.S. dooms them to the lowest jobs avialalbe in society and is a huge disservice to them.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:23 AM

34,173 posts, read 18,460,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
That's how we talk. Sorry, but the British accent is incredibly difficult to decipher, especially compared to people from other countries.

I have no problem with proper UK English. However, I do have difficulty with some southern U.S. accents. South Philly, not a problem, but I've heard it all my life.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:42 AM

72 posts, read 316,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoulty View Post
That's actually a gross over-simplification. Alot of first generation immigrants actually never learned English at a conversational level. They lived in ghettos where they didn't have to.

People don't really understand that, after the age about 12, it is very difficult for someone to become "native" in a language, and after about 20 real fluencey in a near impossibility. The human brain is tuned into picking up language at a very particular age. There are individuals who do much better, but they aren't very common.

Of course, if you achieve multi-lingualism at an early age, then it becomes far easier to learn new languages later in life, but, again, most people, even in Europe never learn that much.

How ironic that you make a statement about over-simplification, and immediately follow it with one of your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia