U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:29 AM

718 posts, read 2,148,021 times

Advertisements

Joey Vento of Geno's is one of the few individuals with a spine who stands up for what he believes in. He is taking a stand against the laziness of newcomers who choose not to integrate their culture into American life and instead be lazy and expect Americans to cater to their un-American attitude. As a private businessman is doing what is best for his lines to run smoothly. English has been spoken in America for 400 years, and he is just continuing the tradition.

Philadelphia is not even Miami or San Antonio where you see signs in Spanish and do business in Spanish for your own benefit. Philadelphia is an English speaking city as seen by the street signs, local news, etc. For Joey Vento to cater to the few whiners means he has to slow down the quick flow of his 24 hour business. He would also have to train his employees in Spanish or hire all bilingual workers, possibly creating new costs. This would be inefficient business for Joey Vento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 12:32 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,996,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalwench View Post
This is America and Geno's absolutely has the right to post that sign. Just as I have the right to buy my cheesesteaks from Pat's, which I will do from now on. I did love Geno's but I can not support their attitude.

Personally I don't believe anyone attempts to order in another language, I believe they have a thick accent which most thick headed people can't get past. Hard to understand because many people from south Philly also have an accent.
I agree, I will not buy from Geno's any longer. Pat's is better anyway People seem to forget that Italians also had a hard time learning the English language for many years and many did business only in their native language of Italian. Someone should give Geno a history lesson.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:28 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree, I will not buy from Geno's any longer. Pat's is better anyway People seem to forget that Italians also had a hard time learning the English language for many years and many did business only in their native language of Italian. Someone should give Geno a history lesson.
Neither makes the best in Philly anyway.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
But the guy behind the counter had no difficulty understanding what I was saying. If he had I'd have said so in my post. And this was the only time in my four US visits that I haven't been able to comprehend what an American was saying to me.
lol, welcome to south philly. let's just say its a different dialect
was it the "wiz-wit?" part?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 AM

834 posts, read 2,042,378 times
What the heck are the employees of Geno's supposed to do? Learn EVERY single language out there so they don't "offend" anyone? How about people learn enough english to be able to order their food? Isn't that easier on everyone?
Also, I hate the argument that English is not the official language. When you are going to a country where 90% of the language spoken is english, you can consider it the language of that country.
Americans will go on vacation to France or Italy or any other country and they will spend weeks ahead of time trying to learn enough of the language to get by while they are on vacation! Can you imagine LIVING in another country for 10-15 years and not knowing one word of the predominant language spoken there? People would think you were a moron. Yet we defend people who live here who don't speak a word of English and worse.....have no interest in even trying.

I lived in Florida for 15 years and I can tell you that it gets on your last nerve to see people born in the US and still not know a word of English.
I give Geno credit for having the balls to stand up to the PC bull that has made its way into every crevice of the US. Go to even the most liberal country, live there for years and not know any of their language and see if you don't get attitude for your laziness and disrespect. I promise you that you will.

Anyway, the employees of Geno's have no way of knowing if a customer is here visiting from another country and sincerely doesn't know English or they are someone who has lived here their entire life and still doesn't care to learn. So again, what is he supposed to do? Install a computer with the Babelfish program so that customers can translate their language into English?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:56 AM

184 posts, read 327,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post

Philadelphia is not even Miami or San Antonio where you see signs in Spanish and do business in Spanish for your own benefit. Philadelphia is an English speaking city as seen by the street signs, local news, etc. For Joey Vento to cater to the few whiners means he has to slow down the quick flow of his 24 hour business. He would also have to train his employees in Spanish or hire all bilingual workers, possibly creating new costs. This would be inefficient business for Joey Vento.
Mark my words, Philadelphia will have both a latino and an asian mayor in the next 20 years

Old 11-15-2008, 11:05 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
No.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:57 PM

7,090 posts, read 10,963,706 times
This caught my attention being from Colorado/Portland where there's a huge immigrant population. I think there needs to be a standard language for commerce, it's hugely expensive in Colorado to have to hire an extra person to translate to Spanish...more so in Portland to have Spanish and Chinese.

I think immigrants are great, but we all have to speak the same language. If some one refuses to speak the language I don't think the business should be forced to accommodate them. For emergency services like ER care yeah, but for small businesses it's really prohibitive.

I learn languages even to go visit other countries, I'm doing a bad job now at Japanese because of it. You come to a country, if you live there you should know the language.

I've heard stories about cops not having a command of the English language before going out in the world, which is even more so because they carry a gun.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:57 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival survivor View Post
Mark my words, Philadelphia will have both a latino and an asian mayor in the next 20 years
god i hope so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or