U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:25 PM

160 posts, read 288,704 times

Advertisements

http://cbs3.com/topstories/Genos.Steaks.Sign.2.610918.html (broken link)

PHILADELPHIA (CBS3/AP) ― The Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations held a public hearing Friday to address a controversial sign at the popular Geno's Steaks that has garnered worldwide attention.

The hearing was scheduled after allegations were made accusing Geno's Steaks of discrimination for posting a sign that reads: "This Is America. When Ordering Speak English."

Geno's owner Joey Vento said it is "free speech" and defended his policy during Friday's hearing.

Your comments please.

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-27-2007 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Printing out whole articles is a copyright violation of our TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 07:10 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,843,304 times
Those poor, oppressed Anglophones...their culture is dying.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:07 AM

20,322 posts, read 18,322,261 times
I can see his point. The place is a big tourist draw and they like to keep the lines moving. Kind of like the soup nazi, except that most locals say both Pat's and Geno's steaks are pretty poor, especially's Pat's. So you get somebody jabbering and you can't understand them, what do you do? Have them point at pictures, or slowly repeat everything on the menu until they nod in agreement? That will slow down the line for everybody.
Of course, foreign tourists should be given some slack, but I'm pretty sure they aren't too numerous. Hello, this is Philly so you expect some attitude. I think the city goverment showed it still has its priorities upside down and backwards by not rallying to defend him from the malcontents who had nothing better to do that target him for being politically incorrect.
Now that being said, he probably has a dozen illegals working for him in the kitchens like every other city restaurant.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:13 AM

992 posts, read 3,287,613 times
Pat's steaks are terrible.

Tony Luke's or Jims are much better.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:32 PM

1,943 posts, read 7,906,526 times
I think it's fine. And I'm not racist- my best friend is 100% Mexican. However, I am tired of going to stores and having the workers barely, if at all, speak English and do not know what I want or are not able to help me! So as a business owner, I can see how he feels that people come and he can't understand them, and then if they get the order wrong there are arguments...if we went to another country we couldn't expect them to understand English...

Old 12-28-2007, 03:40 PM

11 posts, read 50,298 times
"Geno" is the man. And I (along with other people) actually respect him for his decision to not hire a bunch of immigrants like Pat's does (at least it was like that last time I checked), even though I think Pat's is better. God I miss me a cheesesteak. Here in Bensonhurst, there are canoli's and hoagies (or what they call heros here) everywhere, which is phenominal, but I'd kill for a good steak sandwich right now.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:22 AM

2,937 posts, read 3,161,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
cbs3.com - Geno's Owner Defends 'Speak English' Sign (http://cbs3.com/topstories/Genos.Steaks.Sign.2.610918.html - broken link)

PHILADELPHIA (CBS3/AP) ― The Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations held a public hearing Friday to address a controversial sign at the popular Geno's Steaks that has garnered worldwide attention.

The hearing was scheduled after allegations were made accusing Geno's Steaks of discrimination for posting a sign that reads: "This Is America. When Ordering Speak English."

Geno's owner Joey Vento said it is "free speech" and defended his policy during Friday's hearing.

Your comments please.
It absolutely is free speech. Its his business, he can do what he wants with it. Its also everyone else's right to speak with their wallets and not patronize Geno's if they don't like the sign. If he loses enough business, you can be sure he'd take down the sign.

Personally, I agree with the sign and am more likely to stop at Geno's for a cheesteak for the stand that Joey Vento is taking. Pat's sucks anyways. Pat's is downright horrible. Jim's is my favorite.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:03 AM

57 posts, read 374,068 times
Quote:
a bunch of immigrants
nice...how far we have come. unless you are a full blooded Native American, you are the product of immigrants.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:18 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,879,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachespeaches View Post
nice...how far we have come. unless you are a full blooded Native American, you are the product of immigrants.

Even the "Native" Americans are immigrants, it just depends when you came here.

Anyway, the difference is that my German ancestors and my husband's Italian ancestors didn't come here and expect everyone to speak German and Italian...they learned English! They also worked hard and didn't expect handouts from anyone.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:29 PM

353 posts, read 751,363 times
Normally, I would scorn all things Philly and wouldn't even bother with a thread about it... but this one caught my attention.

I am as big a defender of immigrant rights as you are likely to find and even I have to say that the man has a point. You can't expect the person taking your order to speak Spanish, Arabic, Malagasy or whatever the Hell else. I have always defended people who are speaking thier own language amounst themselves... and there are people who say that "this is America, speak English (period)" and they are just ignorant jerks. But when you are conducting business, ordering something, working with those who don't speak your native language... well, then this is America... speak English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or