Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:20 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times

Advertisements

When I was younger our family had a woman and her young Daughter come to our house late at night asking for money. But they were neighbors from the apartment building at the end of our street and my Mom was always a little too welcoming/giving to all the neighborhood kids. I'm sure they were just trying to take advantage of her kindness.

At my own house I have had people knock on my door asking for money to manicure my (tiny) front lawn but I've always just said no. I've paid people to shovel snow however. Other than that I would say it is a very rare occurence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 03:26 PM

95 posts, read 180,808 times
Not a regular occurance; I've never had it happen. I have had people come by and ask for money in exchange for some service, like washing the 1st floor windows, or sweeping the sidewalk, or shoveling snow. This at least has the veneer of respectability, even if its ultimately the same thing... I would not give money to such a person.

I generally don't mind opening the door to strangers knocking during the day. During the night I would not open the door.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:06 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
My husband and I live at 17th and Carpenter in the new town homes at Carpenter Square in the Graduate Hospital neighborhood. This Saturday morning a smiling and polite woman knocked on my door and told me she spent the last of her money on pampers and if asked if we had any money for food. Is this a common occurrence here in Philly? Have any of you experienced this?
Not sure where you're from but never open the door to strangers. Especially with the line about the pampers (which hopefully you're not finding the used ones on sidewalks over there-this is bad sign) given that most of the gov't checks had just come out for the month. You were targeted because you live in the new town homes (translation, people with money naive enough to open the door).

It's all a con-hustle job that could turn into a crime very easily once that door opens. Another one is the house-casing group that went around my area for donations for that ''youth mentoring'' b.s.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:13 PM

252 posts, read 234,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Not sure where you're from but never open the door to strangers. Especially with the line about the pampers (which hopefully you're not finding the used ones on sidewalks over there-this is bad sign) given that most of the gov't checks had just come out for the month. You were targeted because you live in the new town homes (translation, people with money naive enough to open the door).

It's all a con-hustle job that could turn into a crime very easily once that door opens. Another one is the house-casing group that went around my area for donations for that ''youth mentoring'' b.s.
I'm originally from more rural and suburban areas. This is my first time in a big city. Yeah thinking back on it, I shouldn't have opened the door. I can see through the glass and thought she looked harmless enough. I did have my Pit Bull by my side which may have deterred any escalation of anything.

When I was younger and living in a rural area with my parents, I didn't answer the door during the day time when someone rang the bell. Next thing I know, they broke into my house. Turns out they were probably ringing the door bell to see if anyone was home and since I didn't answer, they took it as the go ahead to invite themselves in. They made up a story about losing a dog and left, no physical harm done. Because of this, I stopped subscribing to the idea that not answering the door is the best policy. Man I have bad luck!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:16 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
I'm originally from more rural and suburban areas. This is my first time in a big city. Yeah thinking back on it, I shouldn't have opened the door. I can see through the glass and thought she looked harmless enough. I did have my Pit Bull by my side which may have deterred any escalation of anything.

When I was younger and living in a rural area with my parents, I didn't answer the door during the day time when someone rang the bell. Next thing I know, they broke into my house. Turns out they were probably ringing the door bell to see if anyone was home and since I didn't answer, they took it as the go ahead to invite themselves in. They made up a story about losing a dog and left, no physical harm done. Because of this, I stopped subscribing to the idea that not answering the door is the best policy. Man I have bad luck!
In a rural area, you might be more susceptible to being victimized by not answering the door. In Philly, its row house set-up diminishes that issue. It's good to monitor after not answering to what these grubs are really up to.

In Philly, still best no to open the door to these folks.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:18 AM

225 posts, read 395,090 times
I live in a city neighborhood in Philly. I would NEVER open my door to a stranger. The most that they get is me or my husband speaking though the security door.

Home invasions do happen in Philadelphia. Sure most are not random events by why risk it? There are desperate people who are down on their luck and really do not care about what they have to do to get what they want or need to survive. This is IMO going to get worse. At this point in time we do not even allow people to do odd jobs around our home. A secure locked door and windows keeps them out there and away from you.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:58 PM

252 posts, read 234,228 times
Thanks everyone for replying. I'll be sure to be more vigilant about not opening the door for anyone I don't know or am not expecting. I think what bothered me the most about it is that I felt my personal space and home were being invaded vs the homeless on the street who ask, which I've gotten used to since moving here. There are many things I like about an urban environment but this I could do without. Shrugs. I guess there's pro's and con's to every environment. Edit: I typically do not give money but there have been a few times I have when the spirit moved me, so to speak. Thanks all.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:41 PM

5 posts, read 4,639 times
Go ahead open your door for anyone .Trust no one !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: