Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:52 AM

221 posts, read 400,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhaep View Post
eeeeeeesh lotta old-peopley advice here

ur coming from brooklyn , gawker agrees:

Northern Liberties = Williamsburg
Fishtown = Bushwick (kinda greenpointy due to polish heritage but not much surviving at the moment)

i would add

Fairmount / Art Museum = Fort Green / Park Slope
Bella Vista / Queen Village (South Philly but very close to Center City) = also Park Slope / Prospect Heights ? [edited]
Rittenhouse (more 'Center City') = idk like DUMBO ? Maybe more Manhattanish as most of Center City will be
most of West Philly = Red Hook / Downtown Brooklyn / LIC ?

Northeast Philly (the size of the rest of philly , not that close to Center City)
Greater Northeast = Queens (with a fraction of the ethnic diversity)
Lower Northeast = Long Island

Manayunk is basically a suburb. So is the Northeast. West Philly is the college town version of philly.

all of this is on philly scale so u realllllly gotta scale (down) the expectations / analogies . also realize that gentrification is not nearly as robust in philly , we never had a Giuliani and we are the poorest major city in the country (highest poverty rate). u can travel across the entire city in 45 minutes by car , no neighborhood mentioned above except the Northeast / far West Philly and Manayunk is more than 10-15 minutes to Center City by basically any method other than walking at most times. also public transit is deplorable.

With your budget you could easily live in center city or Rittenhouse but could also save A LOT of money and live in Fairmount / Art museum area , Bella Vista / Queen Village , or Northern Liberties / Fishtown and not suffer much at all.

Good restaurants all over but many def clustered around Rittenhouse / Center City / Old City and South Philly

Philly is a beer town so you wont have trouble really anywhere but Fishtown and Passyunk ave (South Philly) are definite hubs.

If Commuting to delaware, Fishtown / Northern Liberties are on the east side of the city right next to I-95 , Queen Village / Bella Vista are also East but South more (so he could get on 95 at a lower point and miss a lot of the rush hour traffic heading into the city from the Northeast and Jersey).

As far as running , Kelly Drive is the most popular path , along Fairmount Park , which is along the Schuylkill river (which separates West Philly from the rest of Philly). There are other trails along the Schuykill and a new boardwalk being built (first installment just opened) on the river that could be options. Other than that theres not many large parks with big trails in the city , though there are some nice bridges to run on the Delaware river (east side of philly, separating us from Jersey).

find a place with a reserved parking spot.

i may be out on a few shaky limbs with some of these comparisons but just trying to give points of reference
Is this 'young-peopley' advice? Comparing everything to New York then giving the same suggestions that people have already posted?

I think the most exciting part about moving to Philadelphia from New York, is that it is its own unique city, with unique neighborhoods and culture to offer, and not a scaled-down version of New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 11:44 AM

16 posts, read 18,203 times
agree with all of the replies to my reply , i was shooting from the hip (as i tried to caveat) and it was 5am , but 3/4 of my best friends live in brooklyn and im up there every couple of weeks , also regularly encounter ny transplants thinking of 're-transplanting to philly for the cost of living savings

i always stress the fact that a NYC > philly move is fraught due to drastic disparities in public transit infrastructure , cultural opportunities , nightlife , social (& actual) sanitation & general cosmopolitanism etc

so i agree , describing philly in NY terms is not the best way to understand and appreciate philly (which has its own , unique , sometimes subtle charms and imo more 'organic' and vital attributes) , but when someone speaks brooklyn , speaking philly might not help them when looking for a starting point (also lets face it , NY is the default universal american city for most intents and purposes , due to salience, despite its atypicalness)

/young-peopleyness

Old 10-19-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Manayunk is basically a suburb? What does that tell me? It's an old Milltown whose dense population clings to the hillside.
that its basically a dense post-industrial suburb clinging to the side of a hillside ?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:57 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:
that its basically a dense post-industrial suburb clinging to the side of a hillside ?
I live in Manayunk. It is not basically a suburb. There is nothing suburby about it, it is completely urban. I pay the city wage tax too, just to be sure.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:40 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
agree with all of the replies to my reply , i was shooting from the hip (as i tried to caveat) and it was 5am , but 3/4 of my best friends live in brooklyn and im up there every couple of weeks , also regularly encounter ny transplants thinking of 're-transplanting to philly for the cost of living savings

i always stress the fact that a NYC > philly move is fraught due to drastic disparities in public transit infrastructure , cultural opportunities , nightlife , social (& actual) sanitation & general cosmopolitanism etc

so i agree , describing philly in NY terms is not the best way to understand and appreciate philly (which has its own , unique , sometimes subtle charms and imo more 'organic' and vital attributes) , but when someone speaks brooklyn , speaking philly might not help them when looking for a starting point (also lets face it , NY is the default universal american city for most intents and purposes , due to salience, despite its atypicalness)

/young-peopleyness
You're very young, aren't you? It's easier to compare Philadelphia to Baltimore than NYC. The OP stated that they are in their 30s not their 20s.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're very young, aren't you?
not as young as i wish i was

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's easier to compare Philadelphia to Baltimore than NYC. The OP stated that they are in their 30s not their 20s.
maybe tru but OP also stated she was moving from nyc not from bmore so not sure how that comparison would benefit her

but this thread has clearly veered wildly outside of the realm of benefit to OP so y not go for it

on the point of manayunk's suburbyness , ill relent on this cuz i fear i doth troll too much buuuuut

"Manayunk is the place to be if you want both city energy and suburban charm."

"small town inside of the city"

"About 8 miles outside of Philly, Manayunk holds its own as a sort of "Little Philadelphia." Complete with a Main St and several little neighborhood-esque areas within the neighborhood itself, there is a lot to discover about this tiny place that runs along the Schuykill."

" 'It doesn't feel like Philadelphia' ...Manayunk feels more like its own town than an extension of Philadelphia."

- Manayunk guide, moving to Philadelphia | StreetAdvisor

"Compared with other sections of Philadelphia, a substantial portion of the Northwest retains a more suburban feel" [does not call out Manayunk however]

- Northwest Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Manayunk is a suburb of Philadelphia that sits on the edge of the Schuylkill River."

- this, apparently from a real-life Manayunkian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FS4PS08fjU

aaaaaand ill just leave this here: Urban Dictionary: manayunk. *devil emoji*

Old 10-20-2014, 01:18 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
not as young as i wish i was

maybe tru but OP also stated she was moving from nyc not from bmore so not sure how that comparison would benefit her

but this thread has clearly veered wildly outside of the realm of benefit to OP so y not go for it

on the point of manayunk's suburbyness , ill relent on this cuz i fear i doth troll too much buuuuut

"Manayunk is the place to be if you want both city energy and suburban charm."

"small town inside of the city"

"About 8 miles outside of Philly, Manayunk holds its own as a sort of "Little Philadelphia." Complete with a Main St and several little neighborhood-esque areas within the neighborhood itself, there is a lot to discover about this tiny place that runs along the Schuykill."

" 'It doesn't feel like Philadelphia' ...Manayunk feels more like its own town than an extension of Philadelphia."

- Manayunk guide, moving to Philadelphia | StreetAdvisor

"Compared with other sections of Philadelphia, a substantial portion of the Northwest retains a more suburban feel" [does not call out Manayunk however]

- Northwest Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Manayunk is a suburb of Philadelphia that sits on the edge of the Schuylkill River."

- this, apparently from a real-life Manayunkian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FS4PS08fjU

aaaaaand ill just leave this here: Urban Dictionary: manayunk. *devil emoji*

You don't get it. People have disagreed with your comparisons. I tried to subtly tell you that the comparisons don't work because Philly is more similar to Bal'mer. It doesn't help the OP to force a comparison. It is what it is. The OP needs to visit.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:40 AM

10 posts, read 16,719 times
Thank you for all of your responses. I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia