Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:40 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times

Advertisements

Yes, I do think it's a bit out of line and presumptuous bordering on condescending to dictate to people exactly what their "best interests" are.
Not so ironically, I think that if one gets past the knee-jerk "hey, how come there's no white history month??" type reaction to things like the term "lilywhite" quoted in the article, it's pretty clear that this type of behavior is exactly what the people featured in the article are complaining about, more than anyone's ethnicities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
For her part, Alda Ballard, isn't waiting on City Hall or Congress to ensure there will be black families in the neighborhood going forward. She refuses to say exactly how many, but Ballard has bought and sold a number of properties over the years. When she does sell, the buyers typically have long-standing ties to the area.

"I don't want to live in a lilywhite neighborhood, so I do what I can to try and not let that happen," Ballard said.

___

...lol

I understand that people are resistant to change, but it seems like the natural cycle of things. The same neighborhoods that people complain about gentrification pricing them out of were completely different places in the decades before they lived there too, but neighborhoods change. With such a strong renewed interest in urban living, access to amenities/public transportation, and the dramatic revitalization of Center City and the core neighborhoods it's pretty obvious that these people are fighting a losing battle just like the people who think they're going to stop the decline in Lawncrest or Oxford Circle, etc.

If wish I was besieged by strangers offering to buy my house. To me it's funny because if there's one thing Philadelphia isn't lacking, it's low and middle income neighborhoods and affordable housing, often minutes from these neighborhoods in question.
I think we actually have put a pretty good stop to the decline in Lawncrest and Oxford Circle. It has not gotten much worse since the initial decline. There's just not enough minorities who can afford to buy a house for them to take over the whole neighborhood. I don't think there will be too many of them who can afford to buy anything past Levick St. And there are still so many white people that live in the neighborhood I just don't see them leaving now after they've already been through it. The reality is the neighborhoods been stagnant for a while now. Look at recent killings that have happened and it's either drug related or black on black crime. White people in the lower Northeast aren't going anywhere. It's affordable and they've been here for a long time.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:54 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's go flyers View Post
I think we actually have put a pretty good stop to the decline in Lawncrest and Oxford Circle. It has not gotten much worse since the initial decline. There's just not enough minorities who can afford to buy a house for them to take over the whole neighborhood. I don't think there will be too many of them who can afford to buy anything past Levick St. And there are still so many white people that live in the neighborhood I just don't see them leaving now after they've already been through it. The reality is the neighborhoods been stagnant for a while now. Look at recent killings that have happened and it's either drug related or black on black crime. White people in the lower Northeast aren't going anywhere. It's affordable and they've been here for a long time.
Congrats on stopping the flow of minorities into your neighborhood.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:37 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Congrats on stopping the flow of minorities into your neighborhood.
Don't fall for the bait.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:50 PM

702 posts, read 540,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Don't fall for the bait.
Yeah, obvious troll is obvious.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:38 PM

744 posts, read 775,614 times
Letters: 'Temple Town' is the new Jim Crow

I can't believe they printed this nonsense. Temple = South African style apartheid...wow.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post

I can't believe they printed this nonsense. Temple = South African style apartheid...wow.
I agree that article is garbage.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:08 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I agree that article is garbage.
Where was the outrage when the avenue (and corresponding neighborhood) was changed in 1987?

Old 10-28-2014, 07:03 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post

Agreed. Wow. That was truly an incendiary "article".

Old 10-28-2014, 07:17 AM

677 posts, read 672,875 times
"Older residents like Ballard are used to being greeted by their neighbors, but newcomers walk past without so much as a nod. 'It's like we don't exist for them.'"
This old racist woman is ridiculous. Maybe the newcomers can sense the hate emanating from her. Not to mention, some people just aren't friendly. What's she want, people to bow down to her? Good luck with that ... She should be thankful the newcomers are improving her rathole of a neighborhood and making it safe for habitation for the first time in thirty-five years. She could have newcomers moving in looking to rob her, assault her, murder her, rape her daughters, beat her sons, drag down her property value and generally make life miserable for her ... that's the kind of change many good working people have had to deal with, past and present.

Whack, the pharmacist, said "They grin and say hi, because they have been promised that we will be gone soon."
Another sad excuse for a human being. I would think the white people moving in are pretty open-minded, accepting and tolerant of differing races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia