Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2008, 03:58 AM

5 posts, read 24,331 times

Advertisements

Possibly looking to move to Philadelphia for school. I've been seeing alot of post about the crime rate in the city.. How Bad is it really? (i read about people being robbed at gun point, car jackings)..i've never heard of anything like this in Phoenix, everywhere has crime but thats unbelieveable..
Are there any crime free areas that one would recommend near Philadelphia University.. please feel me in..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 10:38 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,730,082 times
It's hard to believe you've never heard of an armed robbery or carjacking in Phoenix. According to this site, the crime-rate index there is almost double the national average. That's not to say that there isn't crime in Philly - there certainly is. However, Philadelphia University is in a pretty solid, mostly residential neighborhood called East Falls, and is close to Manayunk and Roxborough which are both popular with students and traditionally have a lower crime rate than much of the city.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:59 PM

186 posts, read 570,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLINDVISION View Post
Possibly looking to move to Philadelphia for school. I've been seeing alot of post about the crime rate in the city.. How Bad is it really? (i read about people being robbed at gun point, car jackings)..i've never heard of anything like this in Phoenix, everywhere has crime but thats unbelieveable..
Are there any crime free areas that one would recommend near Philadelphia University.. please feel me in..
I am jealous of you. I would love to move back to Philly but the wife doesn't want to live any further from family. I lived there for a couple of years and absolutely love it!!! I had to have a cheesesteak and an italian hoagie every single week. The food there is amazingly tasty.

It's such a fun city to explore too. Alot of good biking to do, plus you have Fairmount Park, the largest city park in the country.

As far as crime, you have to look at it like a circle, the inside is nice and safe but the outter circle of the city is pretty run down. Really all you have to do is use common sense. I never had any trouble and I went alot of places all over the city.

Good luck with the move and enjoy it, because it truly is a great city.

PS - I guess I should also mention that I lived in Gilbert AZ for 5 long years. You'll love it out east. I hated Arizona and don't ever want to go back, not even for a visit.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:23 PM

7 posts, read 90,289 times
Default heh?

Look- Philly is just strange and silly to most out of towners.
Roxborough/east falls aint all peaches and cream though , things just cost more but you can still get jacked.

Just stay out of bars during eagles games and don't get hammered in old city every weekend and your fine.Also, its best not to look like a tourist. and NO EYE CONTACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just kidding about the eye contact but all the same ,we don't like it when you stare. septa sucks when school lets out so between 3-6pm , if you don't have a car , I wish you luck.
the last crime I was a victim of was when some moron stole a part from my bike but if your not in the city city you should be fine.
And no-EAST FALLS is not city city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: