U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 02:47 PM

4,100 posts, read 7,499,723 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Philly from Austin, and would like to know if there are any neighborhoods with a lot of younger (20s and 30s) transplants. No offense against native Philadelphians, but as a transplant myself I think I would have more in common and make friends easier with people who moved here from somewhere else, like myself. Affordability would help too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 18,565 times
Some nice sections are Manyunk, Chestnut Hill, North East, and Mount Airy. Chestnut Hill is awesome but kinda expensive. I think you should look at Manyunk.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:16 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,774,932 times
Agree Manayunk is very popular with recent college graduates working in the area. Its an old milltown area that has made a very nice comeback. Its got a thriving mainstreet with lots of restaurants/bars/galleries/shops.

Center City and of course University City also has many transplants working and studying. U.Penn/Drexel/Temple/Thomas Jefferson/U of Arts etc. Most vibrant section of the city by far but its not cheap. Might want to try sharing a room or subletting to help ease your transition. Craigslist is a good source for renting/sharing apts.

If you arent a city guy you could look into West Chester which is a college town thats fairly lively and has a very nice pleasant atmosphere. The Mainline towns would also be good choices, there area 1/2 dozen small liberal arts colleges along with Vilanova and St. Josephs universities.

Good luck

Old 01-03-2008, 06:40 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,292,195 times
Also check out Conshohocken, which is in the 'burbs but full of kids right out of college (probably not as many from as far away as Austin, but there's still lots of graduates there). You'd be near 3 interstates (76, 276, and 476) as well as US 202 and US 422. This gives you access to many of the suburban office parks in places like Plymouth Meeting, King of Prussia, and Malvern. There's also a train station in Conshohocken; the ride to Center City Philadelphia is about 25-30 minutes.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:35 PM

7 posts, read 77,342 times
Default west

University City hands down! Nobody here is from here! you'd fit right in and you can get to everything from here. the only concern you may have is if you fear poor folks and immigrants, but thats an irrational fear anyway, right? besides chestnut hill, etc. cost way too much to be as (comparativley) remote as they are from the cool parts of the city.
Basically in UC (I live near walnut and 45th) there is a nice balance of people though the balance is now shifting and I am happy to raise my daughter here as she gets to meet people from thailand,india,morocco,china,california,new york ,mexico and many more places and this is one of the few neighborhoods I have lived in in the city where you see the police policing! nice coffeeshops a great little public school run by penn and the last video arcade in town-awesome. As always the teenagers just suck but thats just 'cuz I can't stand teenagers.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:44 PM

35 posts, read 221,330 times
I am also looking into moving to the Philly area from Austin. Are you an Austin native or did you end up here after attending UT or something? I can tell you now that Philly is nothing like Austin. But that can be good for some people (like in my case) and bad for others.
What kind of area in Philly are you looking for? Do you want something more suburban or more IN the city? I know that the Philly suburbs are different than here in Austin. Austin suburbs are pretty lifeless with endless amounts of strip malls. Philly suburbs have charm and are almost kinda like little cities outside of the city. Well, not all of them are...but they have them.

If you don't mind my asking, why are you looking into the Philly area? I'm personally moving to go back to the east coast where I grew up and to be closer to family. I'm looking into the Mainline area because of the train access into Center City and because I've heard there are plenty of restaurants, grocery stores, bars, etc. within walking distance. Also because there are a bunch of colleges around that area so there are still younger people/professionals around. At least that's what I'm hoping....being that I'm still in my late 20's.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:06 PM

4,100 posts, read 7,499,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelliott View Post
I am also looking into moving to the Philly area from Austin. Are you an Austin native or did you end up here after attending UT or something? I can tell you now that Philly is nothing like Austin. But that can be good for some people (like in my case) and bad for others.
What kind of area in Philly are you looking for? Do you want something more suburban or more IN the city? I know that the Philly suburbs are different than here in Austin. Austin suburbs are pretty lifeless with endless amounts of strip malls. Philly suburbs have charm and are almost kinda like little cities outside of the city. Well, not all of them are...but they have them.

If you don't mind my asking, why are you looking into the Philly area? I'm personally moving to go back to the east coast where I grew up and to be closer to family. I'm looking into the Mainline area because of the train access into Center City and because I've heard there are plenty of restaurants, grocery stores, bars, etc. within walking distance. Also because there are a bunch of colleges around that area so there are still younger people/professionals around. At least that's what I'm hoping....being that I'm still in my late 20's.
Check your PM's

I am planning on moving to be closer to my family as well. I'm a Northeastern expat too.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,398 times
if u dont mind me asking, What do you mean ur a transplant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or