Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:52 PM

677 posts, read 672,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 206Coug View Post
Hello! My name is Michelle and I'm a 12, a Seahawks fan, who lives in Philadelphia. I've run into fellow 12s, so I know we exist in these parts. If the Hawks make the Super Bowl, I would love to watch the game with some fellow 12s.

I'd love to know from both Seahawks fans and non-Seahawks fans alike of bars or restaurants or other spots where you have seen Seahawks faithful gathering in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks for your help! Go Hawks!
Seahawk fans who call themselves a "12" are annoying. I hope Tom Brady and the Patriots beat your team's obnoxious asses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 06:40 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
Seahawk fans who call themselves a "12" are annoying. I hope Tom Brady and the Patriots beat your team's obnoxious asses!
because pats fans are not obnoxious

Old 01-20-2015, 07:11 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Hey now, no reason to be rude to the OP. Philly sports fans can certainly relate to being passionate about their teams. Seahawks fans just express it in a different way. At least their Owner/General Manager Paul Allen (of Microsoft fame) is willing to rally the crowd of 12's as I saw this past Sunday.

The true test of how many 12's are die-hard vs. bandwagon will be when the 'Hawks have a mediocre-to-bad season.

In any event, let's get back to the main discussion of finding Seahawks fans in Philly and where they might want to meet for the Super Bowl.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
This thread probably angered a lot of eagles fans wanted to see since most of them wanted Green Bay to beat seattle.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Seattle Seahawks fans well most of them anyway have been die hard fans for three years now, at least Philadelphia fans are not bandwagon even thou their teams don't win as many championships as other cities they ride and die with their teams and a true sports fan can respect that.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:11 AM

677 posts, read 672,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
because pats fans are not obnoxious
No, not really. Not like Seahawks fans.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:02 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
This thread probably angered a lot of eagles fans wanted to see since most of them wanted Green Bay to beat seattle.
Why would you say that? I'm an eagles fan and I rooted for Seattle. Don't like packers at all. I actually like Seattle's players. Just think their fans are pathetic, the whole 12 thing is just the worst. Disagree that they have more bandwagon fans than any other successful team though.

Also think it's absurd to say Philly isn't filled with bandwagon fans like any other city. When the Phillies started winning all the sudden everyone in this city is a Phillies fan. Now they sink, no fans. No one cares about sixers now but two, three years from now when they start winning how much you wanna bet everyone and their mother is suddenly sporting an Embiid shirsey.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:12 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Why would you say that? I'm an eagles fan and I rooted for Seattle. Don't like packers at all. I actually like Seattle's players. Just think their fans are pathetic, the whole 12 thing is just the worst. Disagree that they have more bandwagon fans than any other successful team though.

Also think it's absurd to say Philly isn't filled with bandwagon fans like any other city. When the Phillies started winning all the sudden everyone in this city is a Phillies fan. Now they sink, no fans. No one cares about sixers now but two, three years from now when they start winning how much you wanna bet everyone and their mother is suddenly sporting an Embiid shirsey.
Exactly, Phillies had no fans in 2002. It was all Sixers and Eagles

Old 01-25-2015, 03:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I'm a Seahawks fan who used to live in Philly - there are definitely some there, but Philadelphia wasn't a really good sports bar type city when I was there - I'm sure it's changed a lot in the decade since I've been gone

Since it's come up I'll throw out a little bit of history - Seattle when they started had a great, vocal fan base out of the gate. The team was owned by a local (Nordstrom family) and it was part of the fabric of the community. The city was small, isolated and more than a little blue collar. From the try anything nature of the Patera teams to Ground Chuck the team fit the city and the city loved the team.

The #12 was retired for the fans in 1984. The first organization to make such a statement to the fans and one the fans have embraced.

The Kingdome was so loud they created rules where it would be a penalty against the home team if the opposition couldn't get their play in - Elway would always go into theatrics. Esiason as well, although a less frequent visitor.

Then the Nordstroms sold the team to Ken Behring. A real estate guy from Southern California. He basically wanted to kill off the team and move them to Orange County where he could gain that market and make money on related development.

He absolutely butchered the team, alienated the community and destroyed the long term fans.

Seattle was also changing. It was cleaning up. A lot more transplants coming in, especially from CA. The economy was changing. Baseball was taking a strong hold with some really good Mariners teams.

If you were there in the early 90s it was an awful time for the Seahawks. They were putting out 2 win teams.

When Paul Allen bought the team one of the things he did was bring in Tod Lieweke. He had worked with the Minnesota Wild and other franchises. He's a great community guy. His job was to get the Seahawks back into view in the community. This ramped up from really 2003 and became very notable in 2005.

Last year they were a decade in to this and it's taken hold and become it's own thing.

Others are just noticing it now because Seattle is actually on TV and being covered.

Plus there is always bandwagon fans everywhere - it comes with success. Almost worthless to complain about this, just comes off bitter. As mentioned, I lived through some of the transition in Philly.

Buffalo has "Home of the 12th Man" all around their stadium - they have for as long as I can remember. Just no one talks about it because the Bills haven't been relevant in forever. If they went on a decade like the one Seattle is experiencing it then I'm sure it would be a similar story.

Anyhow, I'm sure there will be some friendly spots in the city and hopefully you enjoy the game.

Go Hawks!

Old 01-25-2015, 04:48 PM

301 posts, read 922,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
If you were there in the early 90s it was an awful time for the Seahawks. They were putting out 2 win teams.
I was there in the early-mid 90's, and yeah, there were no Seahawks fans...but I did run into a lot of Eagles fans from Seattle when the Eagles played in the Kingdome, LOL

if anything, the UW Husky fans deserved the 12 title back then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia