U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:32 AM

1,623 posts, read 5,966,382 times

Advertisements

You can post your one "con" article and I can post my five "pro" articles. I've already told you why they do it: teachers today are lazy. I had an English class in college with prospective teachers...even then I shuddered when I realized they would someday be teaching other people's children. Some teachers teach because they love children, but I think a lot of teachers teach because they can get the job, get tenure, make a half decent living and get the summers off. The smarter kids go into more lucrative fields, the middle of the road ones, teach.

There is plenty of evidence that being the oldest/biggest in the class can be just as detrimental as being the youngest; I never got picked on for being the youngest but if kids find another student is a full year older, they come up with some pretty good names/assertions as to why that is. Not to mention if they are big they get every hot shot challenging them to a fight.

And as I said before, I'm not advocating every child be early admitted, but if they are tested and the psychologist says they're fine, then they should be allowed to go.

Are you seriously going to tell me you're going to take the advice of a 22 year old with a bachelor's in Early Childhood Education over an older psychologist with a master's or more in one or more disciplines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 AM

70 posts, read 213,273 times
My daughter's birthday IS Sept 1 and she couldn't make the deadline for this year for K, but from what I am hearing, it's for the better, so she'll start next year I know some parents who's kids do make the cutoff, but are close to it in birthdays and choose to keep them back that extra year also. I know alot of times the kids might do well if you send them right away, but from what I've heard, usually by 3rd grade is when they will feel the drawback. IMO it also depends on each individual child. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 AM

Metmom, obviously the choice is yours but I wouldn't let the opinion of the school district or other parents, heck even me, color your opinion. But I would say if you think your daughter is smart and can sit still, you could easily meet with the principal/write a letter and have her admitted.

Your case points to how arbirtrary the cutoff system is...Oh she's ready on August 31 but not Sept 1? Give me a break already. And if it was so necessary, why don't they make it March 1 and push all of those kids on to the next year?

Nope I'm sticking with my assertion that they just want the kids to be self sufficient so the teachers don't have to "coddle" them...meanwhile I always thought part of a Kindergarten teacher's job description was to coddle...go figure...

Old 02-15-2008, 09:22 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,910,937 times
And how much experience do you have? Just saying, "I've already told you why they do it: teachers today are lazy." does not make you right.

I guess we could go back and forth on this one but my guess is that I'm not going to change your mind orrmol. I would suggest you read, "Boys adrift : the five factors driving the growing epidemic of unmotivated boys and underachieving young men" which suprisingly does not talk about lazy teachers but about America's education system.

For the OP, one question to ask yourself before you enroll your son in kindergarten is what's the worst that happens if he starts a year later?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:25 AM

I have no experience. I just know how to use Google and read...if you can come up with a large scale study, I'll buy it. But if you read the facts, you will find that such a study does not exist, therefore the hypothesis that kids should wait a year is just that, a hypothesis...Here's one of MANY articles I've found on the subject, and as I said, it should be on case by case basis, but the schools are too lazy to undertake such things so they just group the kids together regardless of the merit of such grouping...

"Results of such small-scale studies need to be replicated before educators will be able to make informed recommendations about optimum kindergarten entrance age. There is no clear-cut evidence that delaying kindergarten for the youngest entrants will provide some magical academic advantage. Because there is so little entrance age evidence, and because some of that evidence is conflicting, there does not appear to be a strong academic basis for delaying kindergarten entrance for summer-born children.

A responsible physician would not recommend any treatment that had not been scientifically tested and retested for effectiveness. She would need to know the specific symptoms for which the treatment was effective. She would need to know the success rate of the treatment and what complicating side effects and interactions were possible before prescribing the treatment.

Responsible educators also have a need to know the facts before recommending treatment for a child whose only symptoms are being born in July and being male. Nevertheless, the reality is that both teachers and parents are accepting the idea that delaying school entrance for summer birth date children is sound practice. "

Old 02-21-2008, 08:24 AM

70 posts, read 213,273 times
orrmobl...I totally agree with what you are saying. How can one day make a difference? IMO it can't. I chose to wait to enroll her for next year. And as I reviously posted, it depends alot on each individual child. Some may go to preschool and some may not. Either way, some kids need longer adjust than others regardless of attending preschool, starting K early or not.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:14 PM

12,767 posts, read 28,910,937 times
I'm just trying to say that kindergarten has changed. Whether it's because teachers no longer have the time or the energy to wipe noses, because many of the kids are held back a year or because the curriculum in kindergarten is now the first grade curriculum, it's different. It shouldn't be. As I said, my husband and I both were early starters and yes, we did fine, but times have changed. Wait until your kids get to be college age and you'll see how much they've changed.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:42 PM

I don't totally buy the "kindergarten is the new first grade" argument as in PA its still optional. I've asked the opinion of my son's teachers and family members who work in the schools etc. and they all think he's ready and I would fine in pursuing this. I will have him tested and petition the school near where we live, or I will send him to a private kindergarten. And Met, I don't think one parent can change the world but I do think one parent can change their child's life. And that's what I'm trying to do, give my son the opportunity I think he deserves without being overwhelmed.

Besides, nowadays they also offer a class in-between K and 1st for the kids who aren't quite mature enough, a tactic to weed out behavior problems if you ask me. So worst case scenario, my son would end up in this class...at least it would be in a public school with kids around his age and wouldn't cost me out of pocket for services my taxes are already paying for...

I just think its a shame that the "No Child Left Behind" crap and the constant devaluation of education in this country has led to a system that focuses on the lowest common denominator rather than allowing kids of all levels to learn and excel at their own pace.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:34 PM

992 posts, read 3,288,045 times
Quote:
And that's what I'm trying to do, give my son the opportunity I think he deserves without being overwhelmed.
Quote:
Besides, nowadays they also offer a class in-between K and 1st for the kids who aren't quite mature enough, a tactic to weed out behavior problems if you ask me. So worst case scenario, my son would end up in this class...at least it would be in a public school with kids around his age and wouldn't cost me out of pocket for services my taxes are already paying for...

My son is in a program like this... Developmental Kindergarten they call it. He turned 5 in September but really would have been overwhelmed had we insisted on enrolling him into Kindergarten.

The class he's in moves at a slower pace and has a PT, OT and a speech therapist right in the classroom.

He had a poor attitude about going to school and doing school type things previously, but he's done a complete 180

He'll probably wind up going to Transitional First grade, then regular first grade. At the end of the day he'll be turning 7 at the begining of first grade rather than just turning 6. Which is kinda what we wanted anyhow.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:30 PM

97 posts, read 514,586 times
Our daughter turned 5 in August before kindergarten. We sent her to K, and she's now in 1st.

She's younger and has some trouble with social skills, especially with the kids who have older brothers and sister. They're at least 8 months more advanced socially. Ten out of 21 kids are 7 already - almost a year older than she is. Some were held back so they would have that "oldest" advantage, and should really be in the second grade.

I wish we'd kept her back. She gets 100's on her math and reading tests, but unsatisfactory on the behavioral items like focus, "stick-to-it-ness" and group project participation.

My sister, a 25-year teacher, tells me that it's actually good for her. She'll learn coping skills, and will harden against failure and frustration. She'll be able to decide on her own whether or not she wants to be a big fish in a little pond or a little fish in a big pond. The children that are permitted to ease through because they are put in with younger kids are disadvantaged later. They think "it" will always be easy and that they naturally are smarter and more capable, when in reality they are simply older. Their early success is replaced with later failure. She teaches senior calculus.

I don't know, but I suppose we shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or