Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 02:36 PM

68 posts, read 88,470 times

Advertisements

I'm a newer resident of the Graduate Hospital neighborhood with my wife, and we have really enjoyed the city and the 'hood. One thing that is continually frustrating (among some other things) is one that doesn't seem to be contained to just my neck of the woods:

No one keeps the outside of their homes clean.

It's actually shocking to me. I grew up in the south, and my dad literally spent every Saturday making the house nice and tidy. Mowing the lawn, raking the leaves, picking up tree limbs, etc... I know I'm not the only one who grew up like this.

How come I feel like the only one on my block who gives a damn about the state of my property? After trash day, it's like a damn bomb went off. When we first moved in, I was annoyed that people would toss their trash in my recycling bin or trash can but now I almost beg for them to do it just to keep it off the street. (I have seen people straight-up throw trash out onto the road on Grays Ferry from their car). There's one row of homes that didn't organize their garbage a few months ago, and remnants of the trash still float around. I end up sweeping down a few houses, but I'm getting sick of it. I don't mind sweeping and cleaning up a public space that isn't occupied, but I shouldn't have to clean up for someone else.

Where is the sense of pride?

I really want to stay in the city with my wife, but as we start to age and the lack of neighborhood care rise, I feel like the inevitable slip to the 'burbs will come.

Does it all boil down to the fact that there is just no sense of pride in keeping a clean/presentable home? I mean, my whole life it has been my goal to own my own house and take care of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 02:48 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Looks like you picked the wrong hood to live in. Neighbors around us take a great bit of pride in their home's appearance. Maybe we just investigated more thoroughly before buying?

Old 01-24-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Looks like you picked the wrong hood to live in. Neighbors around us take a great bit of pride in their home's appearance. Maybe we just investigated more thoroughly before buying?
Perhaps. We are on the edge of G-Ho...so I guess that might explain it.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:59 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARS View Post
I'm a newer resident of the Graduate Hospital neighborhood with my wife, and we have really enjoyed the city and the 'hood. One thing that is continually frustrating (among some other things) is one that doesn't seem to be contained to just my neck of the woods:

It's actually shocking to me. I grew up in the south, and my dad literally spent every Saturday making the house nice and tidy. Mowing the lawn, raking the leaves, picking up tree limbs, etc... I know I'm not the only one who grew up like this.

How come I feel like the only one on my block who gives a damn about the state of my property? After trash day, it's like a damn bomb went off. When we first moved in, I was annoyed that people would toss their trash in my recycling bin or trash can but now I almost beg for them to do it just to keep it off the street. (I have seen people straight-up throw trash out onto the road on Grays Ferry from their car). There's one row of homes that didn't organize their garbage a few months ago, and remnants of the trash still float around. I end up sweeping down a few houses, but I'm getting sick of it. I don't mind sweeping and cleaning up a public space that isn't occupied, but I shouldn't have to clean up for someone else.

I really want to stay in the city with my wife, but as we start to age and the lack of neighborhood care rise, I feel like the inevitable slip to the 'burbs will come.

Does it all boil down to the fact that there is just no sense of pride in keeping a clean/presentable home? I mean, my whole life it has been my goal to own my own house and take care of it.
Are most of your neighbors renters?

Old 01-24-2015, 04:00 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:

Maybe your neighbors have other life goals? Maybe their sense of pride is tied to something other than what the few square feet of sidewalk looks like outside of their house? Maybe your pompous attitude annoys them and they do it just to spite you?

IDK but myself and my neighbors keep our block nice and clean.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Maybe your neighbors have other life goals? Maybe their sense of pride is tied to something other than what the few square feet of sidewalk looks like outside of their house? Maybe your pompous attitude annoys them and they do it just to spite you?

No need to call me pompous. I wasn't attacking you. I wasn't attacking anyone really, just seeing if anyone else faced this problem.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:43 PM

677 posts, read 672,621 times
Quote:

It doesn't take much time or effort to keep the front of a rowhome clean and tidy. People who don't are simply apathetic, lazy slobs.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
No need to call me pompous. I wasn't attacking you. I wasn't attacking anyone really, just seeing if anyone else faced this problem.
Fair enough. My point was simply that the attitude of "where I come from in the south people have pride whereas Philadelphia is dirty" is annoying and unlikely to get you much help. And frankly kind of pompous, thus why I labeled you as such.

There are plenty of dirty houses in the south and plenty of clean ones in Philadelphia.

Saying something more along the lines of "I like to keep the area front of my house clean and my neighbors don't, what can I do?" Would probably be a better way of attacking this.

My honest advice is to go out there with a trash bag and some gloves and clean up the entire block. Probably wouldn't take more than half an hour. Do it on Sunday too when most of your neighbors are home. People are much less likely to litter on a clean street than a dirty one. Plus you'd probably be surprised how many allies you might have on your block who desire a clean and tidy street. But they might have given up on that fight long ago. Seeing you out there cleaning up might inspire them to do the same.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
It doesn't take much time or effort to keep the front of a rowhome clean and tidy. People who don't are simply apathetic, lazy slobs.
See. Your comments on the subject up to this point have made you an ally of this guy. You're new to the forum so I'll just let you know that this guy is an admitted racist. These are not the types of people you want to associate with.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:54 PM

677 posts, read 672,621 times
Quote:
See. Your comments on the subject up to this point have made you an ally of this guy. You're new to the forum so I'll just let you know that this guy is an admitted racist. These are not the types of people you want to associate with.
I haven't noticed anything "racist" (such a strong accusation) about his posts. Anyway, is he "racist" or does he have preferences?

Last edited by Better Than You; 01-24-2015 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: