Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:45 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

I'd like to make a few modifications to some of the recommendations above and add some of my own:

Regarding DiBruno Bros., the Rittenhouse Square store is absolutely fabulous indeed, but I think you should experience the original on 9th Street at least once. Its atmosphere is totally different and a throwback to an earlier time, but the cheeses are just as excellent.

If you can, bike the length of the Pennypack Park bike trail.

Go to John's Roast Pork (Snyder Avenue at Weccacoe Avenue) for either a cheesesteak (it's been called the best in the city) or better still, the eponymous roast pork sandwich.

Tour Eastern State Penitentiary.

Walk the length of Forbidden Drive along the Wissahickon Creek. Don't forget to stop for something at the Valley Green Inn about halfway along your journey.

Take a real trip back in time - visit the Wagner Free Institute of Science (17th Street and Montgomery Avenue, a few blocks west of the Temple campus), a perfectly preserved 19th-century science museum.

Take a walk through the city's free arboretum, the Awbury Arboretum in Germantown. (The Morris Arboretum up the road in Chestnut Hill is more impressive, but I'm trying to be gentle on your wallet.)

Take in the view of the city from the observation deck just below William Penn's feet at the top of City Hall Tower. (Yes, "touristy," but it's the only observation deck in the city, at least until the one now planned for the top of One Liberty Place opens.)

Ride the Route 23 bus for its entire length from Chestnut Hill to Broad and Oregon - you'll see a true cross-section of the city as you ride. And as you ride, imagine what this trip must have been like when this bus was the so-called "longest streetcar line in the world," a sobriquet it had through 1992. (Its southern terminus as a trolley was at 10th and Bigler streets.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 01:08 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'd like to make a few modifications to some of the recommendations above and add some of my own:

Regarding DiBruno Bros., the Rittenhouse Square store is absolutely fabulous indeed, but I think you should experience the original on 9th Street at least once. Its atmosphere is totally different and a throwback to an earlier time, but the cheeses are just as excellent.

If you can, bike the length of the Pennypack Park bike trail.

Go to John's Roast Pork (Snyder Avenue at Weccacoe Avenue) for either a cheesesteak (it's been called the best in the city) or better still, the eponymous roast pork sandwich.

Tour Eastern State Penitentiary.

Walk the length of Forbidden Drive along the Wissahickon Creek. Don't forget to stop for something at the Valley Green Inn about halfway along your journey.

Take a real trip back in time - visit the Wagner Free Institute of Science (17th Street and Montgomery Avenue, a few blocks west of the Temple campus), a perfectly preserved 19th-century science museum.

Take a walk through the city's free arboretum, the Awbury Arboretum in Germantown. (The Morris Arboretum up the road in Chestnut Hill is more impressive, but I'm trying to be gentle on your wallet.)

Take in the view of the city from the observation deck just below William Penn's feet at the top of City Hall Tower. (Yes, "touristy," but it's the only observation deck in the city, at least until the one now planned for the top of One Liberty Place opens.)

Ride the Route 23 bus for its entire length from Chestnut Hill to Broad and Oregon - you'll see a true cross-section of the city as you ride. And as you ride, imagine what this trip must have been like when this bus was the so-called "longest streetcar line in the world," a sobriquet it had through 1992. (Its southern terminus as a trolley was at 10th and Bigler streets.)
I ran across Mr. Wagner while doing some research & did some research on him. I'd recommend googling him before visiting the museum.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:54 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,966 times
The Philadelphia Museum of Art should be on this list, as should:
- Lunch at the Reading Terminal Market (any day except Sunday or Monday).
- The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts fits in there somewhere also.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:02 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,740 times
I should probably mention that I'm a foodie, so I did DiBruno's, John's Roast Pork, etc. pretty much my first month here. Lol

Old 01-29-2015, 04:03 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Have you had a lambsteak or fish hoagie from Sister Muhammad's Kitchen? Across the street from the Wayne Junction station and well worth it. Or you could go further up Germantown Avenue for vegan soul food at the Nile Cafe.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:55 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
I agree with hiking in the Wissahickon Park-maybe my favorite place. Try to find The Cave of Kelpius where "Philadelphia's first mystical guru came to live and await the second coming".

Cave of Kelpius

Also find the finger bridge, Devil's Pool, the only covered bridge in any major US city and the indian statue.

Fingerspan — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com

Devil’s Pool In Fairmount Park Makes A Cameo On The Front Page Of Today’s New York Times | Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More

Thomas Mill Covered Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-30-2015, 05:49 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
I never knew The Hermit's Cave had another name!

Old 01-30-2015, 05:55 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I never knew The Hermit's Cave had another name!
I only stumbled on it a few years ago (although probably have been there as a kid), but then looked it up and saw the history of the hermits that lived there who supposedly carried on ancient Egyptian knowledge and were awaiting something. Very interesting stuff!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:22 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
I love this thread. Thank you for starting it CarbonCounty, and I wish you good luck in whatever you have to take care of back home. Perhaps you can come back! Think of that when that Scranton cup o' tea is tasting especially bitter.
And thank you for all the contributions. I think I'll come back to this thread to go through these one by one, myself.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:31 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
The Philadelphia Museum of Art should be on this list, as should:
- Lunch at the Reading Terminal Market (any day except Sunday or Monday).
- The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts fits in there somewhere also.
I would consider these touristy things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia