Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 03:35 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,638,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
I was using the quotes because a couple of posters deemed the parade 'racist' the other day.

I agree with some that a little more diversity would help the parade, but it needs to be done fairly, not through some sort of affirmative action nonsense.
I agree, but think that adding diversity is less important than removing the stuff that is offensive to people. ie: aforementioned ethic routines, redface, immigrant comments, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 03:36 PM

677 posts, read 670,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I agree, but think that adding diversity is less important than removing the stuff that is offensive to people. ie: aforementioned ethic routines, redface, immigrant comments, etc.
But that's what makes it so much fun!

Old 01-31-2015, 03:39 PM

4,771 posts, read 3,279,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
This is a good answer, other than the part about the Mummer Parade being one of the best things about Philly. It's nice to watch on TV or at the performance stand, but once they got past the crowded areas they seemed to lose all class. There's nothjng enjoyable, IMO, about watching fat middle-aged men walk down Broad Street while getting drunk and smoking.
Some of that in the Comic division. Other segments of the parade include professional costuming, choreography and musicianship.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I do not see how an ethnic theme is being racist against a particular ethnic group. I look at it more as paying a "tribute" to an ethnic group. Ethnic themes have always been popular in the Mummers and have never seen anything offensive about them.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:45 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,416,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I do not see how an ethnic theme is being racist against a particular ethnic group. I look at it more as paying a "tribute" to an ethnic group. Ethnic themes have always been popular in the Mummers and have never seen anything offensive about them.
It's that you, Dan Snyder? Owner of the Washington 'Redskins'?

Old 01-31-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
It's that you, Dan Snyder? Owner of the Washington 'Redskins'?
No No, you don't want to get me started on that!!

Old 01-31-2015, 03:54 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,416,563 times
I don't think a parade can be racist.

However, the people in the parade... or the people watching the parade...

I grew up in Philly, my dad grew up in Philly. I don't know a single black person who ever attended a Mummers parade. Take that for what it's worth.

For those of you that know Chicago, that city actually has two parades for St Patrick's day. The official one that goes through downtown, and which you will likely find people of all shades attending. And the South Side Irish parade, which no one of color would be caught dead attending.

I think the reputation of Chicago's South Side Irish, and Philly's Mummers parades, are that they are loaded with drunk white people. People of Color know that drunk white people behave differently than they do when sober, and often say and do things they would never say or do when sober. Courage is often found in a bottle.
So smart POCs avoid those situations.

Does that make the Mummers racist? Call it what you want.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:

I grew up in Philly, my dad grew up in Philly. I don't know a single black person who ever attended a Mummers parade. Take that for what it's worth.

For those of you that know Chicago, that city actually has two parades for St Patrick's day. The official one that goes through downtown, and which you will likely find people of all shades attending. And the South Side Irish parade, which no one of color would be caught dead attending.

I think the reputation of Chicago's South Side Irish, and Philly's Mummers parades, are that they are loaded with drunk white people. People of Color know that drunk white people behave differently than they do when sober, and often say and do things they would never say or do when sober. Courage is often found in a bottle.

There are racist people in all facets of life and events. Sports, the arts you name it. It should be noted that blacks have been involved with the Mummers for years. The brass bands that back up the Comics consist of mostly black musicians. They have those "high stepper" groups that consist of mostly blacks. I personally know of a few blacks that have marched with the string bands.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:07 PM

677 posts, read 670,536 times
Quote:

White people know that drunk people of color behave differently than they do when sober, and often say and do things they would never say or do when sober. Courage is often found in a bottle. So smart white people avoid those situations.

I don't know any white people who would walk into a black or Hispanic bar, especially after a certain hour. Take that for what it's worth.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:42 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,638,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
But that's what makes it so much fun!
Noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia