U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 AM

31 posts, read 82,904 times

Advertisements

I need help. My husband just got promoted and we have to relocate to philadelphia, pa. We currently live in georgia where houses and taxes are cheep. I am looking for a 3-4 bedroom house that has a yard for kids and dogs. Good school district. Small town feel. My husband would drive up to 1 hour commute from philly. I would like the houses to be under 200,000. I hope Iam not asking for a miricle. Please if anyone has any towns in mind let me know.
Thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,762,078 times
Where does your DH work in Philly? If he works downtown (Called 'Center City' by the locals) does he have a parking space at work? Most people who work in Center City take a SEPTA train due to lack of parking (think a smaller NYC).

Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM

27 posts, read 97,178 times
Bunny,

A 3-4 bedroom with a yard and a good school district for under $200,000 would be a bit of a miracle. How much of a miracle would depend on what part of Philly your husband works at.

The cost of living is much higher here than in GA. I hope he got one heck of a raise.

I'll do what I can to help, but need more info.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multitasker Too View Post
Bunny,
The cost of living is much higher here than in GA. I hope he got one heck of a raise.
Also, Any employee who works in the City of Philadelphia pays a Wage Tax out of the gross paycheck. Its more if the employee lives within the city of Philadelphia, less if the employee lives outside the city limits. The employee must pay that tax. The Tax is around 3% and is automatically taken out of your check, like social security.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:21 PM

31 posts, read 82,904 times
my husbands new job is off erie street. The taxing of the wages is new to us thanks for that tid bit of info. What towns are good up hwy 95?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 PM

96 posts, read 411,164 times
When are you looking to move? I live in Cheltenham, Pa..a suburb of Philadelphia..I am on the border of Philadelphia...Cheltenham is a good school district and has a lot of community events. there is many modes of public transportation near me..Rte 70, 77, 24 bus as well as a train station Ryers and Cheltenham (r8) that take you into Philadelphia. I am 10 minutes at most from intersate 95.
We have a young son and this neighborhood is FILLED with kids..few blocks down from us is a community center with library and playground. Anyway, if you are interested, feel free to send me a private msg..Best of luck!

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-10-2008 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: real estate ads only allowed in classified section

Old 01-10-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny1234 View Post
my husbands new job is off erie street. What towns are good up hwy 95?
Since he works on Erie Avenue (Erie Street is in Camden NJ), He'll probably be on either 95 or Rt 1 Roosevelt Blvd for his commute, both of which have nasty traffic, esp. at rush hour. Bensalem/Bensalem Township (zip code 19020) is suburban and has quiet areas, but also has access to a mall, target, etc. However, I don't know how much it'll cost you to live there. For a more rural feel, I'd go to Phillyblog dot com and ask in their Burbs forum. Good Luck!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 AM

690 posts, read 2,769,176 times
If he is working on Erie Ave in Philly - I'd recommend taking a look at a few towns over the Betsy Ross Bridge in NJ. You may be able to find a small older house in Cinnaminson, NJ which has a decent school district for under 200k. You can definitely find a 3br home for under in 200k in both Pennsauken, NJ and Palmyra, NJ, but the school districts aren't the greatest.

Are you able to buy a fixer-upper home? This may open up your options a little and get you in a better school district.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:05 AM

690 posts, read 2,769,176 times
Also, forgot to mention the commute from that part of NJ is easy. The Betsy Ross Bridge never has any traffic on it and you will be able to avoid I-95 for the most part which is a mess during rush hour.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 AM

992 posts, read 3,287,244 times
You make out better with the wage tax if you live in Jersey..it's 100% deductable against your state income tax.

You're going to have to move off of your number to get something in Cinnaminson. 220 gets you a ranch.. if you can get up into the 235 area, you should be able to swing a split level.

Single Family Home - Cinnaminson, NJ, 08077 - Realtor.com

As far as "small town feel" Cinnaminson isn't like that.. it's bisected by a 6 lane highway (Rt 130) and consists of a bunch of neighborhoods. Each of these neighborhoods has it's own park in most cases.

Within your own neighborhood, walking your dog or whatever you get that small town feel, freindly neighbors etc.

It's a pretty cool town though. We like it here, and the schools have been great so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia