Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,611 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm a single mom of an autistic child (9). I've recently found out that PA is one of the best state for kids with autism.

Where would you recommend me to move based on my criteria? I'll be greatly appreciated on ANY advice! ^_^

I'm looking for a friendly town where my child can receive good special-needs education services yet, can enjoy museums (she loves art), zoo, theaters, parks etc (If possible). I'm not sure if I want to live close to Philly. Although it seems like Philly offers the most service but I'm used to small town and I'm scared to live in a big city (my biggest fear is the myth(?) that big city kids are mean; bullying on autistic kids are common in big city)

I'm not rich enough to afford an expensive house/ (is prop tax really a $1k a month?), any decent town that is more affordable than Phily?

When are you moving? within 1 year if possible.
Where are you coming from? Upstate New York
Why are you moving? For my daughter's better edu(Autism) and for a better quality of life (I'm tired of living in a tiny town with no place to go AND has -20F winter with feets of snow everyday for 6 months.)
Where will you be working? Not decided yet.
Have you been here yet? No, but I'm planning to visit during the summer to see.

Will you buy or rent? I want to buy if possible but renting for 1 year and buy later is fine too.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? A house. Max is only 200k.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Max is $1000
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
PA because they have a better service for autistic kids than NJ

Are you married or single? Do you have children? 1 child, single
Do you prefer public or private schools? Both, I've heard PA covers for Private school if the child is eligible.
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Yes if possible.
Are you keeping a car? Yes.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet but want bustling activity on weekends or within driving distance (as long as it's something I can enjoy with my child) is welcome

What do you want to be closest to? Good school for kids with special need in an Affordable neighborhood; Basic service absolute necessity plus a nice GYM that has yoga/zumba class, indoor shopping place would be nice for winter time.

Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
No preference as long as they are NOT racists or have biased opinon against special needs children

Coke or Pepsi? I quit soda for my daughter.^^

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 06:19 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
amorphic,

Pennsylvania does have good services for special needs children. Philadelphia, however, has generally bad schools and the suburbs will be too expensive. You will be hard pressed to find a single home in a good area for $200k. That leaves you back to small towns, and the further out from the city, the less expensive. I'd suggest my area, the Lehigh Valley, but then you are just about back in the snow zone that you wanted to avoid. We have a foot of snow on the ground here and I see no sign of Spring.

If you'll compromise on the small town criteria, I'd suggest Boyertown, Collegeville or Downingtown. You could just check out zillow to get an idea of the prices. I'd also go to this site for school comparison. It has a real estate link on it also: Pennsylvania Schools - Find a School in Pennsylvania - SchoolDigger.com

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:01 PM

93 posts, read 146,516 times
I dont have any suggestions on where to move but you can look into these services

The Center for Autism | The Center For Autism

and I have heard that this school is pretty good, but it is a private school

Green Tree School & Services | Philadelphia PA

I will say that i think it may be a difficult journey getting a public school system to cover private school for your child. the school will want to do their own testing and also try to meet her needs with an iep. I know of none and have only heard of one who have been able to get the public school district to pay for a private school for their special needs children.

good luck with your decision. i have a daughter with learning disabilities, im trying to decide what to do next year as she has made no improvement thus far in her first year of high school. i feel like at this point i cant afford to drag my feet and wait. she only has 3 more years of school! ugh. so hard to know whats right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia