Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 03:29 PM

19 posts, read 40,704 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I may possibly move to Chester County Pa for work (convenient for both jobs). I grew up in Delaware County so I generally know what the area is like. School districts are a major priority (hoping to be in Unionville-Chadds Ford School District). I am not sure if we can afford to live there and send our kids there. I have heard that Kennett SD is Ok, but not great.. Thoughts and opinions- is it worth paying the extra money to be in the UCFSD? I know how great it is, but don't know much about Kennett. Also, are there any homes around the 400,000 (tops) price range in the district? We have searched on various sites, but have not seen many. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 12:26 PM

82 posts, read 159,915 times
I think Unionville would be a bit of a stretch in your price range. You may find homes on the market for under 400, but they're not going to be great. You will get more bang for your buck in Kennett.....School district is perfectly good (not as good as Unionville), and more diverse..which is probably a good thing as Unionville is quite homogeneous. May want to consider Avondale as well - good school, and more home for you money...It is a bit further out there though.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:49 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
You may also have slightly more luck looking in Garnet Valley. Excellent schools and a tad more affordable than Chadds Ford.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:09 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,690 times
Google "philadelphia area school district rankings." First five results tell the story.

BUT, if your kids are smart and take initiative, with your support and involvement they'll be fine in Kennett schools.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:23 AM

19 posts, read 40,704 times
Thanks for the insight..yea, on School Digger UCFSD is # 1, where as Kennett is # 225...

Old 02-15-2015, 12:38 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,690 times
Default You got the point

We have friends in the Kennett Consolidated School District whose children have done very well in college and, more important, in the "real world." But they were smart to begin with. And they took advanced and AP classes, so maybe their experience wasn't all that different from kids who go to Unionville/Chadds Ford. But overall, they are very different kinds of schools because the student bodies are so different.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:48 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
The well-to-do people I know out here in Kennett Square are very happy with the school district. You might find some "attitude" in your responses because there is more diversity here and a section of the student body does not have English as their first language (perhaps this has affected the rating). I believe we are a pretty closely knit community with a LOT of activities and richly cultured. As a teacher (in Delco), I REALLY like the kids out this way. Diversity here is a very cool thing, and the cultures meld exceptionally well, IMO. I'm selling my home (too big for just me) and will hopefully purchase something smaller in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia