U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:24 PM

10 posts, read 49,000 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of a move to Philadelphia. We'd like to live in a safe urban neighborhood. Safe and urban? Well, urban and not life threatening. I am a high school teacher in California and I'd like to hear from anyone out there that has information regarding the job situation both in city and directly outside the city. I'd be willing to commute 30 to 40 minutes.

As I said, we'd love to live in the city near services and culture but, sadly, we certainly don't have enough money to buy just yet. What neighborhoods have stimulating culture and somewhat affordable rents? What is culture? Culture is a wide variety of live music, arts, book stores (not just the mega chains) coffee houses (not just Starbucks). We want to live in an area with both a nostalgic feeling and with a certain buzz. We like crowds and activity. We like public transportation.

Thanks for any information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 05:48 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Center City fits your criteria as a place you want to live although its not cheap. Its a very vibrant community especially in the spring and summer. Depending on where you would be placed the Philadelphia public school system can be quite a challenge and thats putting it mildly. You might want to concentrate on private schools or the suburban school districts which are outstanding for the most part.

Center City neighborhoods are Rittenhouse Square,Fitler Square,Logan square,Washington West,Soceity HIll,Old City,Fairmount,Spring Garden,Art Museum,University City,Queen Village,Bella Vista. There also seems to be a decent amount of BaY area trasplants that reside in Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy neighborhoods which are in suburban-like NW Philly.

Suburban towns fitting your criteria to a degree would be Media,West Chester,Doylestown,Mainline towns.

Good luck.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 4,100,750 times
Teaching jobs are few and far between in the burbs. A lot of my friends majored in ed and can only find jobs as subs. What do you teach? The high school I attended recently got rid of a lot of their older teachers and hired many younger, minorities to fill the spots. C'est la vie?

Anyways, there are some not as good districts outside of Philly and then public schools in the city that always have openings. However, would you be interested in teaching inner city kids?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:25 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
You should probably look into taking the Praxis tests before you move here. Your California education credentials will probably transfer over but you need to be certified in your subject. Teaching in PA: About Certification for Applicants Prepared Outside of Pennsylvania (http://www.teaching.state.pa.us/teaching/cwp/view.asp?a=94&q=32455 - broken link)

Old 01-14-2008, 08:03 AM

34 posts, read 131,927 times
Also, please note our Commonwealth requires a 3.0 GPA for undergraduate coursework to be eligible for a license. Graduate coursework does supersede this as long as you have earned at least 12 credit hours.
If you have issues navigating the licensing website (it really is bad!) I found that calling really does work and the few times I needed answers they were much clearer than anything you'll find online, especially when it comes to out of state educated license transfers.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:17 PM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
NE Phila neighborhoods will be fairly safe & cheaper than Center City. As others say, teaching jobs in the Phila. suburbs are harder to get than if you are planning to work in the Philadelphia School district.
Good luck!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 PM

27 posts, read 30,639 times
Actually the pariochal schools in the city are really hurting for good talent. While they dont pay as well they are almost always better in terms of safety regardless of where in the city they are located. For the most part(charter and magnet excepted) they are better institutions as far as education goes as well.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 49,000 times
Thank you all for the great information. I'd be willing to teach in a school, any school, that has a handle on the students rather than the students running the show. Philadelphia seems like such a great place to live. I think that I will check out the parochial schools, Kilbillrain.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:55 PM

27 posts, read 30,639 times
I am confident youll not be disappointed. Be sure to let us know how it all turns out.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-23-2008 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Advertising for competing sites not allowed.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 AM

29 posts, read 126,369 times
It is next to impossible to get a good teaching job in Pennsylvania. I am certified in 2 states in a critical needs area and have been looking for a job for the past three years. It is even more difficult if you teach high school. The School District of Philadelphia now has a waiting list for Regualr Education teachers. The suburbs never have any openings and if they do then they call someone they already know. You need to have a family member within the schools to get hired. Private schools only interview often if they pay badly. I was offered a job the other day for $42,000 a year. That is with 9 years of teaching experience in Special Education, I speak a second language and have a Master's Degree. The cost of living is too high here for that type of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia