Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 3,483 times

Advertisements

So I'm 24 and starting a job in June in Bryn Mawr, which means I absolutely need a car (also because my job will require me to travel around the main line). I've pretty much decided that I'd like to live in either the art museum / fairmount area or Manayunk. I was leaning towards the art museum area because it is closer to center city.

However, today I was driving around the area and didn't see many parking spots open at 2 in the afternoon which really concerned me. I knew it would be packed, but I figured a lot of people would be at work and there would be some spots open. What does that say about finding a spot at 6/630pm?

I imagine it is already going to be a 40-45 min commute and I'd prefer not to spend another 45 minutes driving around looking for a spot. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm only in town for a couple days otherwise I would try to figure this out myself, but I'm guessing there is someone on here with firsthand experience. Thanks for your help / insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 04:41 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,432 times
Parking is tough in that area. Pretty much any CC neighborhood has parking issues, although Bella Vista (technically South Philly but it might as well be CC) isn't too bad.

Getting a permit helps a little bit. If you can afford to park in a lot, it helps more.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:25 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,054,579 times
Spring for garage parking and save the headaches. Or rent on the main line with a parking spot.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:44 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
It depends on what's more important to you. For Fairmount, do you want to have to commute 45min 5 days a week, just to have a shorter commute to Center City on the weekends? Or for Manayunk, you could commute about 20min 5 days a week and it's a 20-25min commute to Center City on the weekends.

I've lived in Manayunk for over a year and commute to CC for work. The commute absolutely does not prevent me from getting there on the weekends either. If you park in a lot/garage/etc, that will make things easier. Manayunk has its own Main St which occupies me if I don't want to go to CC. But it depends what you want. For me personally, I can't even imagine a 45min daily commute, so that's a dealbreaker for me. It may be worth it to you.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:25 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
People park in fairmount and take the bus downtown during the week which means spaces are occupied during the day as well. It's cheaper than parking downtown.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:35 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
People park in fairmount and take the bus downtown during the week which means spaces are occupied during the day as well. It's cheaper than parking downtown.
This.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:54 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Don't they have permit parking in Fairmount? I know permit parking in my neighborhood (Graduate Hospital) has cut down on people parking here to go to their jobs in CC.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Don't they have permit parking in Fairmount? I know permit parking in my neighborhood (Graduate Hospital) has cut down on people parking here to go to their jobs in CC.
Depends on the street in Fairmount, I think. Having permits seems to mean, in Fairmount or Spring Garden, that once people get one they just leave their cars parked unless they need to do big errands on weekends. Street parking is extremely tight as others have said, in any case. Even up to Girard Ave and further east on Fairmount Ave toward Broad St. Increased development has made it worse.

I don't know what the situation is with the parking lot, on Fairmount Ave, between 22nd and 23rd Sts. though.
Is there monthly parking there? Is there monthly parking in the Art Museum garage?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:57 AM

364 posts, read 732,676 times
Leave your car in Bryn Mawr and take the train out. Plenty of little side streets near the main line train stations.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:38 AM

96 posts, read 360,586 times
The commute from Fairmount to Bryn Mawr isn't anywhere near 45 minutes. However, I echo that street parking for a daily driver is untenable. Think about the cost for that off-street parking + what you'll be paying in city wage tax. And then run that number through an interest compounding calculator to see what you are giving up by not sticking (some of) that money into an IRA. And then go look at rentals in Conshoocken, Haverford, Bryn Mawr and Ardmore.

Sincerely,
A 40 year old who looks at her retirement account balances and wishes she had saved more money in her 20s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia