Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 10:00 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,664,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
People get hired over 40 all the time.
Actually I would argue that you're in denial if you think that. The discrimination only increases with each year and don't show any gray hair either.

I was lucky in that I had skills that my dept. really needed and, as I mentioned, layoffs are rare at Penn. In the private sector, I probably would have been laid off a bunch of times with the agony of looking for work knowing I would be competing against folks much younger than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Age discrimination is rampant right now. They are now asking for your date of birth &/or date of high school graduation. The US Supreme Court had a ruling a few years ago. Don't kid yourself.
God, I'm glad I'm out of the workforce.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Someone at my job just was hired recently and she is in her 50's so explain that?
She must be exceptional, had exactly what the job called for and there was no one younger who applied for it.
Look, all you have to do is google "age discrimination in employment" or something like that. I didn't say no one after a certain age gets hired but it is harder.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:15 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,782,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Actually I would argue that you're in denial if you think that. The discrimination only increases with each year and don't show any gray hair either.

I was lucky in that I had skills that my dept. really needed and, as I mentioned, layoffs are rare at Penn. In the private sector, I probably would have been laid off a bunch of times with the agony of looking for work knowing I would be competing against folks much younger than me.
Someone at my job was just hired three weeks ago and looks to be in her mid 50's so I don't get caught up in age discrimination.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:01 AM

44,886 posts, read 59,869,542 times
I'm not talking so much age discrimination, I hadn't even thought of that, but more staying at a job, especially his current governmental one, to vest in and accumulate a pension.

I'm now at the age where a lot of my contemporaries are retiring. Many of them job hopped for the last 40+ years and are now looking at having very little in savings and no pension or other plan except Social Security.

Until fairly recently retirement plans like a 401K weren't transferrable between employers so that wasn't an option for them.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Someone at my job was just hired three weeks ago and looks to be in her mid 50's so I don't get caught up in age discrimination.
Well good luck to you. Since you are determined to not listen to common sense advise about any of this it's pointless to go on talking to about it with you.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:55 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,427,591 times
Quote:
Someone at my job just was hired recently and she is in her 50's so explain that?
She got lucky, has exceptional skills, or she knows somebody.

Age discrimination has been in the news since 2008. If you haven't paid attention, we just told you.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:48 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,782,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Well good luck to you. Since you are determined to not listen to common sense advise about any of this it's pointless to go on talking to about it with you.
Why? Because I am telling you I seen people over 45 get hired in my last four jobs? I believe lots of people use age discrimination as an excuse to have a reason to say why they have not found a job instead of checking to see if it's their resume or interviewing skills.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:21 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,427,591 times
Quote:
Why? Because I am telling you I seen people over 45 get hired in my last four jobs? I believe lots of people use age discrimination as an excuse to have a reason to say why they have not found a job instead of checking to see if it's their resume or interviewing skills.
The Supreme Court made a ruling just before the economy collapsed that makes it impossible to sue unless there is more than one complaint. Businesses are now asking for date of birth & date of high school graduation, which they haven't asked for for decades. It's been on the national news, but go ahead & don't believe us.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:42 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,429,325 times
Quote:
Of course you've seen people over 45 getting jobs. Your current job is sorting out want ads to see which ones would suit senior citizens seeking employment via the city government office which employs you. Prior to that you worked for non profit organizations helping paroled convicted felons find employment. The private corporate world is vastly different from the rather limited sphere in which you've worked. Maybe you should stop arguing with people who are trying to help you and simply listen and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: