Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 12:05 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I'm not sure where Stuck lives but its probably not Chester or Montgomery County based on his comments. Crime is not a factor in either county unless you go looking for it. the exception might be parts of downtown Norristown(Montgomery).
Stuck is always complaining about the attitudes of people in this area. I've never had a problem with anyone. If you are nice and friendly to people and neighbors its usually reciprocated. Hmm, Perhaps thats part of Stucks problem.
Well currently I am having to live in one of the worst parts of the city of Philadelphia so I can only comment from experience. I am not saying that there is crime per se in those counties,I am just warning not to venture 'too close' to the City.
As for you 'not having problems' with people,perhaps you should read some other local forums here,there are Plenty of things to complain about even if you weren't looking for them in the first place.
So I am happy for those of you who are able to always avoid negative experiences,but in the natural progression of life I think very few are immune to all bad experiences. I am thinking people who say they have never had a bad experience are either too young or too sheltered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 06:28 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,896 times
Default Middletown, Delaware County!!

If you want hilly, a GREAT school district, convenience and a lovely, bucolic area to raise a family, I would go with Middletown, particularly the areas off Route 352. There are many, beautiful and well-constructed homes, architecturally pleasing, pretty, pristine streets and shopping nearby. Your husband could jump onto the Elwyn R-5 train and be in Philly in 40 minutes. The Rose Tree-Media School district has a wonderful rating. Short drive to "downtown" Media http://mediaborough.com and right off 352 is the very community-oriented Linvilla Orchards for additonal shopping of fresh produce and baked good, plus lots of really fun events for the whole family
www.linvilla.com

Old 05-01-2007, 10:58 AM
BFM

2 posts, read 11,759 times
Default North Jersey Move

I am interested in a similar analysis. I've always lived in North Jersey, but have a home in Cape May. I'm considering an area about equi-distant from Princeton, Cape May and the Hunt Valley region of Maryland. PA tax exemption on pension income is attractive, so southeast PA looks like the place. What are the choice locations there up to about 550k for a 3 BR, maybe new construction? Thanks!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:10 PM

42 posts, read 146,807 times
Since we just went through this, I thought I'd add my 2 cents:
I haven't heard many people mention Malvern on this thread..that's where we're going..just bought our house there and I couldn't be happier about it. We've been renting on the Main Line and I'm miserable. Coming from an area out of state where people are actually FRIENDLY, I had a shocking transition once we got here...people have even said to me that this area is NOT a welcoming place for newcomers...I've found that to be very true. This area looks great, seems great, houses and streets are beautiful, schools top rated. But try driving or shopping around here and you'll see what I mean. It's just snob city. Leaving the Main Line and going west, we found Malvern, and it's really just after the end of the Main Line. Great Valley schools rate JUST AS HIGH as T/E...so I'm very satisfied with that. The neighborhoods are very nice, the people seem a little less uptight, a little more down to earth (which I am used to and was desperately seeking) and there is plenty of shopping nearby. The homes are in your price range- you can get a very nice 4 bedroom home for 400-500K. At least in my experience. So we'll be moving over the summer, and hopefully things will feel better. Rainrock, I know you said people are very friendly, and you are the expert in my opinion on this board, but I just haven't seen it. It got really depressing to me after realizing that we were living right smack in the middle of that attitude. Lucky for us we decided to rent first. I didn't want to, but there's something to be said for feeling it out first. Good luck to everyone in the same boat! It's not easy but I guess eventually you find where you are meant to be

Old 05-02-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,364 times
Gladwyn will be perfect

Old 05-03-2007, 06:38 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matildap View Post
Since we just went through this, I thought I'd add my 2 cents:
I haven't heard many people mention Malvern on this thread..that's where we're going..just bought our house there and I couldn't be happier about it. We've been renting on the Main Line and I'm miserable. Coming from an area out of state where people are actually FRIENDLY, I had a shocking transition once we got here...people have even said to me that this area is NOT a welcoming place for newcomers...
Yeah, unfortunately that's the kind of attitude that a lot of Main Line people have. Lots of money and the ego to go with it. I'm glad you seem to have found your fit in Malvern, though. Don't worry, there are still plenty of friendly and down-to-earth people here -- you just probably won't find them at Neiman Marcus.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:58 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael247 View Post
Gladwyne will be perfect
In Philadelphia area its harder to make friends, yes very very hard. I grew up there and have some friends from high school and I don't think I'll ever make new ones. Wait I'm not going back there.

Yeah its image conscious and stuff like that, hard to make friends but you can make them through work, here and there.

For a big city area Main Line prices are high but not as bad as Chicago etc for your purchase power. Lots are ample sized too.

In the 400-500k range I can't recommend much in the area.

I love the fox hunting country of South Willistown (Radnor Hunt), the Willows area and south Villanova. Gladwyne is situated great to commute to an inner city law firm or medical center what have you. Gladwyne is truly an amazing location for what you can get for the price and proximity to a city. Few major cities have houses with 2 acres of land 10 miles out. Also you can take a few roads and pop out anywhere you want -- downtown Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Merion, the backroads do it all.

Remember these burbs date back to the 1700s and there are old money families. If you are wealthy though and want to live in a beautiful suburban area with character the Main Line is it. You simply can't beat the farmhouses and countryside estates, the rolling hills, and the Gladwyne/Villanova mansions.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yeah, unfortunately that's the kind of attitude that a lot of Main Line people have. Lots of money and the ego to go with it. I'm glad you seem to have found your fit in Malvern, though. Don't worry, there are still plenty of friendly and down-to-earth people here -- you just probably won't find them at Neiman Marcus.
Haha love the king of Prussia mall. We have all that kind of stuff there.

I like nice mens clothes. You got your Burberry, Hugo Boss, Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom all there and Saks in Bala Cynwyd. They have cool young stuff for college age kids like the Buckle, Puma store, Pac Sun, Diesel, Lucky.

Thing that sucks in Malvern is that all those smaller houses in town that used to be working class are now worth stuff like 300k. One of the reasons I'm never ever coming back home. Maybe if I get a big Philly firm job out of law school, but I want friendlier people and am moving South.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 17,830 times
i agree about malvern i live in kop getting to conjested moving out soon to royersford much quieter another nice community is chesterbrook.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 17,830 times
i dont know to much about bucks county but montgomery county and chester county have some great places not all that expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia