U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 03:03 PM

333 posts, read 1,886,613 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I posted this in a general PA forum..but decided I should post it here..My family is being moved from MAryland to Philly where my husband will work. Honestly , i am not excited about this move..I have heard horrible things and I used to live in Southern Nj ...which I did not like and would not go back too. I don't want to bad mouth any area,...it is just my personal opinion and that is why i am here...to find out the good things. I am afraid it will be like South Jersey where everyone is in a hurry, bad traffic, no one has time for each other, rudeness...etc...I ended up moving to Pittsburgh which to my surprise I loved..Everyone was so genuine and friendly ..kind of a midwestern feel..which is what I am looking for...or get as close as i can.

Anyway, from what I understand..this will be where we will be for as long as my h ubby is with the company...so I gotta make the right decision on the area!!!

I am looking for a pretty area...hilly if possible with trees..Not where houses are built on top of each other..but not boondocks either. I have three kids<9.4 & 2> so a good school system is a must. I would like it to be safe of course...and I like conveniences close...but don't need them 2 minutes down the street. I like the suburbs..we are not city people..I want a great neighborhood or town where people care about each other and let "outsiders " in. We are looking in the 400-500,000 range..My kids play sports and dance..so need all that kind of stuff too..

I know it is a lot to ask for..all i am asking is for some suggestions..so i can start my search. My hubby would work in philly...he has an hour commute now from baltimore to where we live...so an hour is good.

Thanks so much you guys...help me feel better about this move! I need to get in a positive mindset!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 04:44 PM

35 posts, read 62,880 times
I would recommend looking in and around West Chester. Beautiful authentic Thomas Kincaid smalltown surrounded by rolling hills. The New Hope area is also off the charts but somewhat off the beaten path. If you traveled in the area between West Chester-Valley Forge-Chestnut Hill you will love it.

There are towns in South Jersey that I love like Woodbury Heights,Haddonfield , Moorestown etc but imo there is no comparison to the quality of life between South jersey and the Pa. Suburbs. The Philly Pa-side suburbs for the most part are very well designed, not your typical suburban sprawl, and the landscape of Pa. is miles ahead of flattish South Jersey imo.

Good luck I would make my starting point West Chester and mosey around to get a feel for Pa. Some towns to name. Exton, Chester Springs, Valley Forge,

Main Line is the most prestigious part of Philadlephia. Some towns that make up the Main Line: Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Villanova,Radnor,Bala Cynwd,narberth, Wynnewood, Gladwyne.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by both the suburbs and Center City Philadelphia which may be the best 100,000 person neighborhood in the entire country.

Last edited by Syrinx2112; 11-08-2006 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-09-2006, 08:24 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much...am starting to look ... West Chester seems a little pricey? What about Havertown?

Old 11-09-2006, 05:45 PM

Havertown is very nice family oriented neighborhood and worth a look. Narberth is the town just to the north of Havertown and is a great little town. Media,Nether Providence, and Swarthmore are south of Havertown and they are all great areas to raise a family. Media has a quaint small towncenter so does Swarthmore but Swarthmore is a more affluent expensive area. The area between Media and Swarthmore is filled with small boroughs that are very safe clean and affordable. Nice area

So you could add these towns to your list although they are not as hilly as the first towns that were mentioned.

Media
Swarthmore
Wallingford
Nether Providence
Havertown
Newtown Square
Broomall

Old 11-10-2006, 12:17 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,338,217 times
Thumbs up Conshohocken

Try Conshohocken, Montgomery County. It's just outside Philly (about a half hour drive) & a nice place to live. My sister-in-law is raising her family there (3 kids) & has no desire to move elsewhere (that's how much she loves it!). The schools are great, there are places to shop & things to do nearby, & the people are friendly. And the housing prices aren't all that horrendous ($200-450k). It really has a small-town feel for being that close to Philly.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:35 PM

Default So confused

I think i am obsessed with this site! Anyway I have been looking and reading on here all the suggestions. I love this site. Anyhow, I haven't looked in Conshohocken.

I know nothing about Pa except Western pa...and I know south jersey..so this is all new to me..and am quite confused.

Alot of the suggestions are in Chester County..I guess that is WestChester and those areas. ...But have also been told that you have to be careful in Chester county..not very safe??? Have heard the same regarding Delaware county...It's confusing cuz you hear both sides...

Bucks county seems to also be a top suggestion..but am having trouble finding houses in my price range..

But I do appreciate everyone's input and welcome more!!

Old 11-11-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post

Alot of the suggestions are in Chester County..I guess that is WestChester and those areas. ...But have also been told that you have to be careful in Chester county..not very safe??? Have heard the same regarding Delaware county...It's confusing cuz you hear both sides...

Bucks county seems to also be a top suggestion..but am having trouble finding houses in my price range..

But I do appreciate everyone's input and welcome more!!
Theres virtually no crime in Chester County I believe it is the 13th wealthiest county in the usa. . Maybe someone told you about the city of Chester(high crime rate) but thats in Delaware County and it's pretty isolated. 95% of Delaware County is extremely safe.

Areas you want to avoid due to crime/ low quality of life issues are concentrated on the cities in Delaware County that border west philly. Chester City is SW of Philly that is another area you do want to avoid. This is where it gets tricky. Chester is one of Pa. poorest cities- literally about a 1 mile to the NW you have Swarthmore/Rose Valley which are in the top 1% of the wealthiest towns in PA. Strange dynamic.

Basically Just avoid Chester City and extreme eastern delaware county and you can't go wrong.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:50 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
Hi,

I posted this in a general PA forum..but decided I should post it here..My family is being moved from MAryland to Philly where my husband will work. Honestly , i am not excited about this move..I have heard horrible things and I used to live in Southern Nj ...which I did not like and would not go back too. I don't want to bad mouth any area,...it is just my personal opinion and that is why i am here...to find out the good things. I am afraid it will be like South Jersey where everyone is in a hurry, bad traffic, no one has time for each other, rudeness...etc...I ended up moving to Pittsburgh which to my surprise I loved..Everyone was so genuine and friendly ..kind of a midwestern feel..which is what I am looking for...or get as close as i can.

Anyway, from what I understand..this will be where we will be for as long as my h ubby is with the company...so I gotta make the right decision on the area!!!

I am looking for a pretty area...hilly if possible with trees..Not where houses are built on top of each other..but not boondocks either. I have three kids<9.4 & 2> so a good school system is a must. I would like it to be safe of course...and I like conveniences close...but don't need them 2 minutes down the street. I like the suburbs..we are not city people..I want a great neighborhood or town where people care about each other and let "outsiders " in. We are looking in the 400-500,000 range..My kids play sports and dance..so need all that kind of stuff too..

I know it is a lot to ask for..all i am asking is for some suggestions..so i can start my search. My hubby would work in philly...he has an hour commute now from baltimore to where we live...so an hour is good.

Thanks so much you guys...help me feel better about this move! I need to get in a positive mindset!

I have friends who just moved from Alexandria Va to the Great Valley/Chester Springs/Valley Forge area and they love it. Its 10 minutes to King Of Prussia Mall- 10 minutes to Main Street at Exton and the Exton Mall. I would seriously give this general area a look.

As far as hearing terrible things about Philadelphia it does have its terrible area but Center City, Museum and Park area are tremendous.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:59 PM
hlo

5 posts, read 37,156 times
check out the glenside/elkins park/jenkintown area

Old 11-17-2006, 12:39 AM

51 posts, read 196,072 times
The Main Line is absolutely gorgeous.
I moved away ten years ago to NYC when I was very young.
I didnt know how good I had it growing up !
The only thing that kept me from moving home is the lack of a big dating scene in burbs.
But I like the whole Main Line so much that Im moving home and hoping there are cute guys nearby in Center City.
If the Main Line is too pricey, Havertown and KOP aren't too shabby.

Last edited by sleek; 11-17-2006 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or