Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 06:36 PM

14 posts, read 38,395 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to the Philly metro as part of my new job. I would be shuttling between Philly downtown and Radnor, PA. Looking to find a place in an upscale suburb which is:

a) Close to Radnor, PA
b) Has a thriving Indian community
c) Has a good school district ( I have a 2 year old with me)
d) Has a good train connectivity to downtown Philly

Can the gurus in this group please advice on what are the suburbs I should look at ?

Thanks,
Rasin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 PM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasin View Post
Hi,

I am moving to the Philly metro as part of my new job. I would be shuttling between Philly downtown and Radnor, PA. Looking to find a place in an upscale suburb which is:

a) Close to Radnor, PA

Can the gurus in this group please advice on what are the suburbs I should look at ?

Thanks,
Rasin
Upper Merion (King of Prussia)

Old 04-06-2015, 07:52 PM

Thank you ElijahAstin. Any apartments that you would recommend I check out at King of Prussia ?

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:26 PM

386 posts, read 266,942 times
I second Upper Merion/KOP. It doesn't have everything you're looking for but it's a middle class area with pretty good schools, a sizable Indian population and is close to Radnor. The train situation isn't the best but supposedly SEPTA will be working on improving connections to the area soon.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:33 PM

Thank you guys. KOP is surely on my shortlist. How do the following compare to KOP:

1) Plymouth meeting
2) Bryn mawr
3) Norristown

Are these posher/having better train connections/having bigger Indian communities ?

Thanks !

Old 04-06-2015, 09:11 PM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
I second Upper Merion/KOP. It doesn't have everything you're looking for but it's a middle class area with pretty good schools, a sizable Indian population and is close to Radnor. The train situation isn't the best but supposedly SEPTA will be working on improving connections to the area soon.
There is the high-speed line, which connects to Center City via the Market-Frankford El. It's not as convenient as taking the train (and parking + riding from a Main Line station may still be preferable for the OP), but it's an option.

Quote:
Thank you guys. KOP is surely on my shortlist. How do the following compare to KOP:

1) Plymouth meeting
2) Bryn mawr
3) Norristown

Are these posher/having better train connections/having bigger Indian communities ?

Thanks !
1) equal/no/no
2) yes/yes/no
3) no/yes/no

Old 04-06-2015, 10:55 PM

ElijahAstin - Thanks to your replies, I am getting more and more convinced that KOP is the way to go. I know you did this earlier, but would you elaborate a bit more on the train options I have from KOP to Philly Market Street. I could not completely follow your suggestions on the train routes above.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:29 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:

1) Plymouth meeting
2) Bryn mawr
3) Norristown

Thanks !
There's no Indian community in Byrn Mawr that I know of. If that is really important to you take it off your list.

Forget Norristown altogether. Norristown has some well-cared for Victorian Era houses but doubt it would have anything you want. All the real amenities it had are long gone. All its, for example, shopping drifted to Plymouth Meeting and KOP malls over the years.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:37 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Hi,

a) Close to Radnor, PA

Thanks,
Rasin
Probably does not pertain to you but, FYI only, there is a huge Sikh community in Upper Darby which is just beyond Philadelphia's western border.

There are also a lot of Indians in New Jersey. I had an Indian work colleague who commuted from NJ to the Univ.of PA everyday. She seemed fine with it.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 11,880 times
Quote:
ElijahAstin - Thanks to your replies, I am getting more and more convinced that KOP is the way to go. I know you did this earlier, but would you elaborate a bit more on the train options I have from KOP to Philly Market Street. I could not completely follow your suggestions on the train routes above.
There are two trains you can use. The R6 is a regional rail line, which has two stations in Norristown. The R6 line is the most direct and fastest way to get to Philly. There is a parking garage and a few parking lots at Norristown transportation center. The other route getting to center city involves 2 trains. First you have to get on the route 100 train, which has roughly 3-4 stops in the KOP area depending on where you live. You have to take the 100 train to Upper Darby then transfer to the Market-Frankford line. This train known as the EL, is an elevated train that rides over Market Street. They are planning a train line to connect to KOP more directly to the city, but from what heard it could be up to 10 years before it s complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia