U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,513 times

Advertisements

Looking to move out of the city..we have 2 small children & my husband works in KOP..I am staying home at this time. We want good schools, & also enjoy being outdoors/ walking,biking, etc...Also, we do not want his commute to be too long(1/2 hr tops if possible)..Downingtown is more affordable, but Malvern seems to have a nice town center.
Any recommendations helpful...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 02:47 PM

690 posts, read 2,770,010 times
Malvern is probably the better choice if you can afford it. The commute will be much shorter. It will be almost impossible to make it from Downingtown to KoP in 30min during the rush. Downingtown does have a newer, more affordable housing stock however.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:18 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,774,932 times
If you want a nice town center you should check out West Chester although it would be cutting it close to the 1/2 hour commute to KOP. Downingtown's town center has seen better days hopefully it will make all the way back someday but the surrounding area is beautiful. Plus Exton which has excellent shopping options is right next door. Id personally go with the Downingtown area, yeah its a little further than Malvern but it has a better vibe to it, less traffic, a bit more open, newer amenities and shopping etc..

Good luck

Old 01-16-2008, 05:39 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,504,016 times
You may also want to check out Royersford or Collegeville. Your husband could take 422 to KOP then. These are nice.
Downingtown is an older area, so if you had to chose between Downingtown and Malvern, I would go with Malvern.
Another nice area is Chester Springs. I don't think the drive would be too bad to KOP and they have excellent schools and the area is really developing without losing the rolling hills look. (think nice Lexus dealership and cute little shops BUT still the green that is so desireable)

Old 01-16-2008, 06:24 PM

9 posts, read 39,093 times
We live in Malvern and we love it. The people are very nice and I think there is a good variety of homes here in a good range of prices- I have seen homes in the 300's and up for a four bedroom home. I don't think you can beat the Great Valley School District. Some of the Malvern area is zoned for Westchester schools, but if you can get something on the Great Valley side I think you'd be very happy. I can be in KOP in morning traffic in 20 minutes from Malvern on 202. I don't know about the return commute, but morning is not bad at all. Hope that helps.
P.S. Downingtown is beautiful from what I have seen of it, but in my opinion the schools in Malvern and just the town and neighborhoods are probably a little more valuable in terms of re-sale down the road. Exton shopping is a 5 minute drive, by the way.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:26 PM

20 posts, read 97,007 times
Downingtown = Victory Brewing Company (Mmmmmm... Storm King Stout)

Downingtown and Malvern are both very nice. I would lean towards Malvern - don't underestimate the commute, traffic can be killer, get as close as possible. I love Collegeville but coming down 422 during rush hour is a mess... Great people here.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:07 PM
att

1 posts, read 4,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurrito View Post
Downingtown = Victory Brewing Company (Mmmmmm... Storm King Stout)
It's all about the Golden Monkey.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:31 PM

55 posts, read 160,937 times
God I miss Victory. I lived about 1.5 miles from there in '03 through '05 (Windridge subdivision). I loved Downingtown, but it was convenient for us (wife worked in Philly, I worked in Wilmington). For your situation, I'd choose Malvern.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 PM

16 posts, read 102,247 times
I would go with Phoenixville/oaks/collegeville. Since you are going to work in KOP there are many inner roads that would lead you directly (highway 23) to KOP.
Downingtown etc is in a major housing correction and people are finding it hard to sell their homes with the over supply of homes. (which will last a very long time). Malvern you will find more yuppie, very young families. Mostly townhome/carriage style.

Your best bang for the buck and longterm financial stability is 422 north. (don't believe in the traffic stories, 202 is just as bad, even 76). Also stay away from 476 north, builders cannot find any buyers.

bottom line, downingtown is a mini Las Vegas housing mess, Malvern is over priced and yuppish, chester springs is overly hyped and mediore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia