Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 11:31 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Does he have any connection to Phila.?!
Nope, Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 04:18 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
It was Bill Cosby before the numerous, recent rape allegations.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:20 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
I just read that there is some talk about renaming the airport(PHL)after him.
I think you mean the train station (30th Street Station), not the airport.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:05 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
A few others:

Betsy Ross
William Penn
Thomas Eakins
Frank Furness
Rebecca Gratz
Leopold Stokowski
Eugene Ormandy
John Coltrane
Paul Robeson
Billie Holiday
Maxfield Parrish
Noam Chomsky
Dick Clark

... and ...

GRACE KELLY

... and ...

ROCKY BALBOA

Old 04-18-2015, 09:10 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I think you mean the train station (30th Street Station), not the airport.
Most people probably forgot this but 30th St Station was renamed The William Gray 30th St Station last year.
And, yes, I read an article last week about renaming the airport after Franklin.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
In modern times probably Will Smith and Tina Fey. Brian Dawkins is most likely #1 for sports. Jill Scott is probably up there for music.

Historically, I guess Ben Franklin but I agree with Blinx in that it's not really "beloved".
Honestly, regarding pop music, the only people who belong are Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
See, there it is right there. A lot of people don't even realize how many huge ideas Franklin basically invented. You've got him in a list there with a bunch of one-hit wonders, and yet he brought us the concepts of:

-free public libraries
-fire companies
-the US postal system
-the harnessing of electricity

Not to mention founding an ivy league university, a hospital, and being an influential figure in the revolutionary war.

Add to that a bunch of inventions like bifocals, swim fins, stoves, an improved odometer, and urinary catheters. Seriously. How do you go from "Gee, there should be a way for the general public to be lent books that would improve their minds" to "you know what hospitals need? A tube that helps patients pee". A lot of people just don't realize what a genius he was. He kind of puts most of the founding fathers to shame, in my opinion.
Didn't he also kinda discover the Gulf Stream ?

One other part about his history that I find interesting is that he came to Philadelphia as, essentially, a runaway teenager at 17.

Plus he had a tremendously charismatic personality. You get a real sense of what he was like in the HBO production of "John Adams".

Old 04-18-2015, 09:50 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Plus he had a tremendously charismatic personality. You get a real sense of what he was like in the HBO production of "John Adams".
In terms of charisma, Ben was his era's Bill Clinton.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
In terms of charisma, Ben was his era's Bill Clinton.
I'm in the minority. I was always turned off by Clinton's "charisma". I'm a Democrat and I hated a lot of stuff he did. DODT. The Branch Davidian mess. NAFTA. DOMA. Repealing Glass-Steagle. The Monika Lewinsky mess and being dumb enough to have an impeachment trial. The only thing I can think of that I liked that he did was selecting Ruth Bader Ginsburg for the SCUS.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:05 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
I'm in the minority. I was always turned off by Clinton's "charisma". I'm a Democrat and I hated a lot of stuff he did. DODT. The Branch Davidian mess. NAFTA. DOMA. Repealing Glass-Steagle. The Monika Lewinsky mess and being dumb enough to have an impeachment trial. The only thing I can think of that I liked that he did was selecting Ruth Bader Ginsburg for the SCUS.
I made no statements about his policies or effectiveness. Only about his charisma. Didn't want to turn this into a political thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia