Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:58 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
I live in Greenville DE. For a living, I sell handmade items from foreign countries. People get paid a living wage to make those items.
Greenville DE is going downhill quickly, the next upper darby if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 07:36 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,405,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Greenville DE is going downhill quickly, the next upper darby if you ask me.
Greenville is where I live in summer. In my opinion it's nicer than anywhere on the Main Line, but I admire how Gladwyne is so hidden from West Philly despite being not far away. Unfortunately Greenville isn't nearly as hidden from the bad parts of Wilmington, but crime in Greenville is very very rare.

And the same freight train line that goes through Greenville also goes through Coatesville (yes through the really seedy part). Thank goodness it's a freight line and not a passenger line.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:55 AM

48 posts, read 65,652 times
Mr. (or Ms.) Motownewave,

Like many of the other commenters on our Philadelphia forum, I too am confused by the motivations behind your unique and mostly inaccurate assessments of the quality of life in many geographic locations around Philadelphia. I know that you previously listed your location as Gladwyne which is why you are asked about your estate there. It also seems you have a house in Louisiana and a summer home in Greenville, Delaware. You have worked at a Shop Rite in Upper Darby and also sell hand crafted items from artists in other countries (perhaps that is a job with Pier 1?).

Many commenters are trying to help the people who seek information on this forum. By introducing less reliable or unsubstantiated claims about the various locations, you are causing confusion which leads to reduce the overall credibility of the forum. Please help us understand your motivation for posting as you do. If there are no areas in the Philadelphia area which you would recommend as having an acceptable or exceptional quality of life, please let us know which areas of Louisiana or Delaware would fit your standards for acceptability. Please keep in mind that most individuals or families cannot afford Gladwyne.

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:40 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
Wow. Yeah, Monicapies (and someone else in 2014 with a name I can't recall). If you look up that poster's forum history (because what else would you do if you have one day off of work in which to pack for vacation), it's literally hundreds of posts that follow the lines of "Did this Bradlees use to be a Gimbals?" Not just for this area, but all over North America. I don't know about mental illness, but definitely a savant-like interest in and knowledge of retail history.

Definitely a fascinating person. Probably mostly harmless, if you take some posts with a grain of salt or skepticism.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:18 PM

329 posts, read 225,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Wow. Yeah, Monicapies (and someone else in 2014 with a name I can't recall). If you look up that poster's forum history (because what else would you do if you have one day off of work in which to pack for vacation), it's literally hundreds of posts that follow the lines of "Did this Bradlees use to be a Gimbals?" Not just for this area, but all over North America. I don't know about mental illness, but definitely a savant-like interest in and knowledge of retail history.

Definitely a fascinating person. Probably mostly harmless, if you take some posts with a grain of salt or skepticism.

The greater likelihood suggests that this poster is working on some sort of book and is utilizing the members of various forums to supply information for that purpose. An alternative theory is that the poster works in the field of marketing and is conducting a type of research - hence, the questions about Bradlees, etc.

This sort of ulterior motive pops up all over these forums. The person asking the question, it seems, is not really interested in knowing the answer(s) for him or herself; rather, this type of poster may use such information for inclusion in a reference-type book/ebook/ or whatever, on which he is working or, as stated above, for the purpose of studying consumer trends, marketing demographics, etc., etc. The possibilities go on and on...

Old 04-29-2015, 10:31 AM

I don't get this war on me... maybe I've offended because I tend to criticize towns that are "rich" if I feel they (despite their upscale status) don't deserve a reputation of greatness, either due to proximity to bad areas or anything else. And I think "rich" people who are SMART will choose where to live not based on a town being a (historically) prestigious college town, but will choose based on a number of factors, including quality of infrastructure (the parking situation and the pothole situation on the Main Line are both disgraceful, despite it being the Main Line), variety of retailers to shop at (the Main Line fails at this too, and King of Prussia does not count) and isolation from the hood... really, do the richer folks who live in Wynnewood in the neighborhood around Lankenau Hospital (just one example) NEVER worry about the crime in West Philly, which at least STARTS very close to their Wynnewood home? And again, these are rich people... certainly their cars are worthy of stealing, right? So in fact I think if Wynnewood were not as rich, it would be (in all probability) safer than it is as a rich place.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:42 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
I don't get this war on me... maybe I've offended because I tend to criticize towns that are "rich" if I feel they (despite their upscale status) don't deserve a reputation of greatness, either due to proximity to bad areas or anything else. And I think "rich" people who are SMART will choose where to live not based on a town being a (historically) prestigious college town, but will choose based on a number of factors, including quality of infrastructure (the parking situation and the pothole situation on the Main Line are both disgraceful, despite it being the Main Line), variety of retailers to shop at (the Main Line fails at this too, and King of Prussia does not count) and isolation from the hood... really, do the richer folks who live in Wynnewood in the neighborhood around Lankenau Hospital (just one example) NEVER worry about the crime in West Philly, which at least STARTS very close to their Wynnewood home? And again, these are rich people... certainly their cars are worthy of stealing, right? So in fact I think if Wynnewood were not as rich, it would be (in all probability) safer than it is as a rich place.

Aren't you late for your shift at Shop Rite?

Old 04-29-2015, 02:04 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Overbrook Farms is a pretty big buffer for those folks. Chances are they are a lot less paranoid than you are.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:47 PM

429 posts, read 719,522 times
LOL!!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Rustler View Post
Don't you mean the Shop Rite that used to be an Acme, but should've been a Giant, in the same shopping center next to the Fine Wine and Good Spirits with the Michael's Craft Store and Lowe's, which should really be a Jo Ann's Fabric and a Home Depot, where the moon's gravitational pull has shifted it .1cm away from its original location?
What's weird about that kind of discussion? Plenty of people (not me, but lots of others) have to talk that talk for their jobs. It may be pointless to someone NOT involved in such fields, but guess what... lots of people have to think about this stuff every day to put food on the table.

Oh and a "retail coming to Philadelphia" thread has gone on for (84!) pages and at least a year, and not because of me... oh wait, only rich arseholes who live in Rittenhouse Square or on the Main Line and are fashion experts are entitled to post to that thread. Supermarkets and the like are not worthy of discussion in that country club of a thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia