Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:29 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimes8a View Post
I'm looking to freelance both in the city and the surrounding area, at least in the beginning while I get acquainted with how work is distributed in the region and find my niche.

Thank you for bringing this up, it helps a lot - taxes are something that I know I'm supposed to consider but have been procrastinating in doing so (out of sight out of mind). So it seems then that combined it would be roughly a 7.5-8% tax in addition to my federal taxes. That sounds a bit disheartening, but well, I have to deal with the reality of the numbers.

Is the Philadelphia Resident Tax anywhere within the city limits, or is it just the core of the city?
Which surrounding areas (where I wouldn't pay the Resident Tax) could meet the criteria for having a car-free or car-diminished life (except for work since my job would require me to travel to different places)?
Living in a walkable area is part of the allure that makes me want to move to Philly, so I definitely don't want to end-up in a car-dependent suburb since I have plenty of that here.

For those of you who pay it, is the Resident Tax worth it? Are you getting what you pay for?
For those who live in the surrounding areas, is the Resident Tax one of your main reasons for not living within the city?
Thanks.
You pay the city wage tax whether you live in Center City or the far flung Northeast. Anyone within city limits pays it.

As for a car free lifestyle, you'd be hard pressed to find any suburb that would be convenient to that kind of lifestyle. If you want to be car free, Center City, West Philly, South Philly, and the nicer parts of North Philly are where you should be looking. Most neighborhoods in those parts of the city make it easy to be car free.

I pay the wage tax (as a Philadelphia resident), and it sucks. I previously lived in a income-tax free state so I was used to having very little taken out. Now I get federal, state, and city taxes taken out, and it really can dig into your bottom line. I will always ***** about the City Wage Tax, but when I realize how much I love living in the city and all it provides, I look at it as a necessary evil. I'd rather pay the extra 3.9% out of my paycheck every two weeks and get the excitement of living in the city than keeping that extra bit and get stuck in the hellhole that is suburban America. Just my opinion though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 06:47 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
You pay the city wage tax whether you live in Center City or the far flung Northeast. Anyone within city limits pays it.

As for a car free lifestyle, you'd be hard pressed to find any suburb that would be convenient to that kind of lifestyle. If you want to be car free, Center City, West Philly, South Philly, and the nicer parts of North Philly are where you should be looking. Most neighborhoods in those parts of the city make it easy to be car free.

I pay the wage tax (as a Philadelphia resident), and it sucks. I previously lived in a income-tax free state so I was used to having very little taken out. Now I get federal, state, and city taxes taken out, and it really can dig into your bottom line. I will always ***** about the City Wage Tax, but when I realize how much I love living in the city and all it provides, I look at it as a necessary evil. I'd rather pay the extra 3.9% out of my paycheck every two weeks and get the excitement of living in the city than keeping that extra bit and get stuck in the hellhole that is suburban America. Just my opinion though.
I lived in Cherry Hill, near the Haddonfield border. When I was in college I also lived in Center City. I never minded paying the wage tax, which in NJ is credited towards the state tax. I was within walking distance of PATCO. TNJ coverage isn't very good, but, if my car was out of commission, I could get around. However, to make a living as a freelancer, I don't see anyone being car free whether they are in the city or the suburbs unless the OP can find enough freelance work within the city to get by.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:56 AM

11 posts, read 19,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
However, to make a living as a freelancer, I don't see anyone being car free whether they are in the city or the suburbs unless the OP can find enough freelance work within the city to get by.
Yes, I will more than likely need my car for my job if I want to get enough freelance assignments to make a living (at least in the beginning while I get familiar with where the assignments are). However, I hope that I use the car solely for work, and that everything else can be done car-free. This is why I find the wage tax a bit disheartening - I had already made peace with paying maybe $200/month for a monthly parking spot, but to know that I have to pay a 3.9% wage tax is a little discouraging. However, I may just suck it up as a necessary evil since I tend to have the same opinion as MB1562 who wrote "I'd rather pay the extra 3.9% out of my paycheck every two weeks and get the excitement of living in the city than keeping that extra bit and get stuck in the hellhole that is suburban America. Just my opinion though."

Thanks for the replies - keep them coming.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, I will more than likely need my car for my job if I want to get enough freelance assignments to make a living (at least in the beginning while I get familiar with where the assignments are). However, I hope that I use the car solely for work, and that everything else can be done car-free. This is why I find the wage tax a bit disheartening - I had already made peace with paying maybe $200/month for a monthly parking spot, but to know that I have to pay a 3.9% wage tax is a little discouraging. However, I may just suck it up as a necessary evil since I tend to have the same opinion as MB1562 who wrote "I'd rather pay the extra 3.9% out of my paycheck every two weeks and get the excitement of living in the city than keeping that extra bit and get stuck in the hellhole that is suburban America. Just my opinion though."

What industry are you planning to freelance in? That could make a difference.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:22 AM

11 posts, read 19,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What industry are you planning to freelance in? That could make a difference.
Mainly two settings: legal/judicial places and medical places - so mainly courthouses, medical centers, hospitals, jails, and law offices, but also in a variety of other places when getting statements from people.
Although this occurs everywhere, the majority of the work tends to concentrate in central areas.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:26 AM

4,506 posts, read 4,044,124 times
Quote:

If you want to live urban in america that's roughly about how much you'll have to pay in income tax. It's not just a philly thing. If I'm not mistaken when people do the math the reduction in rent / real estate taxes actually covers the increase in income tax. In other words if they eliminated the income tax and had suburban real estate taxes instead you'd be paying more to live in the same place. A lot of the burbs here have their own income taxes too actually.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:53 AM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
I'm an urbanophile of the first water who lives in one of the city's more interesting outlying neighborhoods: Germantown, in its northwest third.

But I happen to think that some of the railroad suburbs that ring this city are also nice places to live. Some are nearly as walkable as the best in-city neighborhoods. Haddonfield and Collingswood in New Jersey both score high in this regard; Haddonfield even has a supermarket at the edge of the town center, giving it an edge in the car-free derby. But if you want access to after-work vitality, there's no substitute for Center City, though the East Passyunk Avenue area comes extremely close.

Most of the railroad suburbs in Pennsylvania lack one key element or other that keeps them from being real alternatives. But there are a few I think might be worth a look, including Media, the Delaware County seat, and Lansdowne, closer in on the same Regional Rail line.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm an urbanophile of the first water who lives in one of the city's more interesting outlying neighborhoods: Germantown, in its northwest third.

But I happen to think that some of the railroad suburbs that ring this city are also nice places to live. Some are nearly as walkable as the best in-city neighborhoods. Haddonfield and Collingswood in New Jersey both score high in this regard; Haddonfield even has a supermarket at the edge of the town center, giving it an edge in the car-free derby. But if you want access to after-work vitality, there's no substitute for Center City, though the East Passyunk Avenue area comes extremely close.

Most of the railroad suburbs in Pennsylvania lack one key element or other that keeps them from being real alternatives. But there are a few I think might be worth a look, including Media, the Delaware County seat, and Lansdowne, closer in on the same Regional Rail line.
Haddonfield & Collingswood are both dry, but have BYOB restaurants.

The PATCO line runs 24/7, so in & out is no problem. I probably would have moved into Philadelphia long ago if it were not for the PATCO line & the tax credit for the wage tax. That combination kept me in South Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia