Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:13 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Gee, African Americans are still treated with contempt down there (as in all states south of the Mason-Dixon Line except maybe Maryland and Delaware) so why on earth would gays move down there? Most folks there (black and white alike) are religious and see homosexuality as something they want nothing to do with.
And you know this how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 07:13 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
People don't want to live in philly because of the drive in from the airport? Suspect thesis for sure.
I think lots of people say they like some other place but wouldn't want to live there. I've said it about nyc and I'm sure I'm not the first

Old 04-26-2015, 08:21 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
It used to be said of my hometown (Kansas City), "It's a nice place to live but I wouldn't want to visit there."

Old 04-26-2015, 08:46 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
People don't want to live in philly because of the drive in from the airport? Suspect thesis for sure.
The scenario given by the OP suggests its visitors to the city giving their opinion. Im guessing 99% of the visitors to Philly spend their time in Center City. Other than maybe Market East -which is improving-there isnt a whole lot to dislike in Center City.Old City,Society Hill,Rittenhouse,Art Museum etc etc..

I cant imagine someone saying ehh Rittenhouse or Queen Village is nice to visit but would not want to live there. So you have to search where the downside is. The downside is that the general vibe of Philly is a great downtown surrounded by a whole lot of grit and ugliness which quite frankly the city does very little to improve.

IMO most visitors flying into Philly commuting via Platt Bridge/26th St/ already have it in their mind they never need to come back to Philly ever again as they merge onto the Schuylkill Exp.. I mean you just passed junk yards,strip joints,sewage treatment plant,oil refineries,ghettsoes. I mean whew it is not a good scene.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:41 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
In my experience, most Americans would not consider living in a high density environment. I think it has less to do with Philadelphia itself, and more to do with Philadelphia being big, dense and fast-paced. So many Americans prefer their quiet and predictable suburban environments. Again, just my experience.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:57 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If you're talking to people around Asheville, my guess is they have little to no experience with Philly.
Nah, I've don't really take advice from most people I've met in/around Asheville anymore simply because they've steered me wrong so many times when it comes to good places to eat.

It's mostly my friends who have visited the city from all over. Places like Pittsburgh, Portland, Seattle & Washington, Alaska, Buffalo, NYC, Miami, Columbus, Northern CA, SoCAL, St. Louis by way of Africa, and so on.

My brother actually moved there from Pittsburgh and last I checked he didn't like it. Then again that was during the winter so maybe he's changed his tune by now?

Anyway I just thought it was odd since before I moved to Portland Philly was my second choice and once again before I came down to Asheville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
In my experience, most Americans would not consider living in a high density environment. I think it has less to do with Philadelphia itself, and more to do with Philadelphia being big, dense and fast-paced. So many Americans prefer their quiet and predictable suburban environments. Again, just my experience.
Thought about that and it might be for some, but it was also common with people from bigger and faster paced places.

It also struck me as odd that the details were so few as to why they didn't like it, almost as if they somehow had trouble articulating the reason(s).

Old 04-27-2015, 06:08 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Nah, I've don't really take advice from most people I've met in/around Asheville anymore simply because they've steered me wrong so many times when it comes to good places to eat.

It's mostly my friends who have visited the city from all over. Places like Pittsburgh, Portland, Seattle & Washington, Alaska, Buffalo, NYC, Miami, Columbus, Northern CA, SoCAL, St. Louis by way of Africa, and so on.

My brother actually moved there from Pittsburgh and last I checked he didn't like it. Then again that was during the winter so maybe he's changed his tune by now?

Anyway I just thought it was odd since before I moved to Portland Philly was my second choice and once again before I came down to Asheville.

Thought about that and it might be for some, but it was also common with people from bigger and faster paced places.

It also struck me as odd that the details were so few as to why they didn't like it, almost as if they somehow had trouble articulating the reason(s).
You've been asking people from the west coast about Philadelphia? That doesn't even make sense.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:54 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
The two reasons they don't like it should be OBVIOUS! First, it's a very hard city in which to travel by automobile. And secondly, there's so much crime and a general feeling of hopelessness.
The crime is the lowest it's been in 50 years.

"General feeling of hopelessness" (????) Try this. Go out and watch the Broad St Run this Sunday and tell us about how many hopeless people you see there. Even the ones who don't have a lot of money will be out there cheering folks on.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Gee, African Americans are still treated with contempt down there (as in all states south of the Mason-Dixon Line except maybe Maryland and Delaware) so why on earth would gays move down there? Most folks there (black and white alike) are religious and see homosexuality as something they want nothing to do with.
Gay people don't need to move to the south. They've always been there. lol.

I don't think my niece and her family would share your views about how blacks get treated in, say, Birmingham, Alabama. I've been there several times and I didn't feel any differently than I do here. And, yes,
I fully remember, and watched and heard, George Wallace spout, "Segregation now. Segregation tomorrow. Segregation forever!"

I avoid talking about politics when I'm there. But the pervasiveness of Fox News running nonstop does make me want to vomit.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You've been asking people from the west coast about Philadelphia? That doesn't even make sense.
Why not? They are all people I know personally and have visited Philadelphia. I'm not from Asheville. I've lived all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Gay people don't need to move to the south. They've always been there. lol.
This area is a bit odd. I work with a gay guy and most people at work seem okay with this, but whenever black people show up the racist jokes start. Personally I don't get how they can pick and choose what they are going to take issue with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia