Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:00 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In the NYC local news TV broadcasts they have been saying that NJ Transit is cross honoring Amtrak tickets if one wants to travel from NYC to Trenton and that in Trenton one can catch SEPTA into Philadelphia. They didn't mention any problem with SEPTA service from Trenton into Philadelphia.
There are two SEPTA "Trenton" trains: West Trenton and(just)Trenton.

The SEPTA West Trenton Line is running with additional trains not on the normal schedule. The Trenton Line has been suspended for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 11:12 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,189 times
I read that the spot is accident prone. It was not only the incident in 1943, but also many more.
I also read in another article that in overall, AMTRAK accidents have increased year after year.
And in the same article, it is pointed out how the public transportation infrastructure in the US is obsolete, crumbling and needs to be updated. (Hence the increase in accident rates year after year) I will try to find where that article again.
I agree with the article. While our country boast one of the oldest public transportation system in the world (the prototype for other countries' public transportation system I would say), it also needs updating.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,189 times
The article I am talking about:
Why Amtrak trains derail - The Washington Post

Old 05-13-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I read that the spot is accident prone. It was not only the incident in 1943, but also many more.
I also read in another article that in overall, AMTRAK accidents have increased year after year.
And in the same article, it is pointed out how the public transportation infrastructure in the US is obsolete, crumbling and needs to be updated. (Hence the increase in accident rates year after year) I will try to find where that article again.
I agree with the article. While our country boast one of the oldest public transportation system in the world (the prototype for other countries' public transportation system I would say), it also needs updating.
Sure, post the link about the country's infrastructure situation but people who follow the nation's politics are already pretty familiar with that issue.

It's the same old thing locally and nationally: the Republican Party's right wing(most of that party now) has very little interest in government domestic spending wrt infrastructure. In fact they want to DECREASE Amtrak's budget. Their goal, is to eliminate it altogether and privatize it and get the government out of the business of running a railroad. Never mind that their thoughtlessness is putting people lives in jeopardy.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Look at how much the Chinese are spending on their rail system!

I don't understand how Republicans want to spend billions on the "military industrial complex" to defend the country when the country is crumbling from within. What's left to defend? Well to them, I imagine, it's for defending the 1%'s assets.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Here we go... I'm seeing it elsewhere online: the engineer is going to be scapegoated for speeding. I don't buy it. The train was barely out of 30 St Station, had crossed over the Girard Ave(trains are maybe going about 40mph if that) and was able to bypass 100mph as it reached Fishtown/Port Richmond? Really?

Old 05-13-2015, 12:44 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
The New York Times reports that the train was traveling upwards of 100 miles per hour when it derailed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/us...T.nav=top-news

Quote:
The Amtrak train that derailed in Philadelphia on Tuesday night was traveling at a speed of at least 100 miles an hour or twice the speed limit in that part of the corridor, according to two people with knowledge of the investigation.

The speed of the train was recorded in the so-called black box data recorders that were recovered from the wreckage, while emergency crews searched for more survivors and victims of a crash that killed at least seven people and injured more than 200.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:48 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Here we go... I'm seeing it elsewhere online: the engineer is going to be scapegoated for speeding. I don't buy it. The train was barely out of 30 St Station, had crossed over the Girard Ave(trains are maybe going about 40mph if that) and was able to bypass 100mph as it reached Fishtown/Port Richmond? Really?
I agree. 100 MPH? There? No way.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:51 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I agree. 100 MPH? There? No way.
I can believe it. Have you seen how mangled those cars look?

Amtrak train derails in Philadelphia - CNN.com

Old 05-13-2015, 12:57 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
There was a surveillance camera that caught the train on video right before the crash. AP analyzed and estimated the train was going 107mph. The speed before the bend is 70 and on the bend is 50. I definitely think speed is what caused this. But they will find out for sure since they got the black box. The train engineer also refused to talk to investigators. He's screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia