Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 07:44 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,522,797 times

Advertisements

I don't necessarily believe that he doesn't remember anything. Great defense, eh? Regardless, whether he remembers going over 100mph or not, he still was going that fast which is absolutely absurd. I hope that justice occurs swiftly for the sake of everyone affected by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 08:04 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,743,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
here we go.. dead people and people are polticizing the accident!
funding was passed to add the controls to slow the trains down. They have not updated
that part of the tract at his time!!!!
You are missing the point entirely. Japanese trains, for example, have had similar systems , to control train speeds, for FIFTY YEARS. They haven't had an accident causing deaths in all of that time. Why? Because the tech was available, they implimented it and it had support and proper funding for years ,thereby saving lives , while we limp along with 40 year old Amtrak trainsets, for instance, that are, only, fit for 3rd world countries.

We don't properly support transit, of any kind, in this country. Yes, this horrific event was most likely caused by speeding but at the same time we're not doing all we could to make the entire system safer.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:06 AM

32,077 posts, read 34,661,478 times
"I have no recollection of that. That's the term you have to learn."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKsDjpKr2Mk

Old 05-14-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I don't necessarily believe that he doesn't remember anything. Great defense, eh? Regardless, whether he remembers going over 100mph or not, he still was going that fast which is absolutely absurd. I hope that justice occurs swiftly for the sake of everyone affected by this.
It's a similar kind of defense those CC gay bashers, last fall, tried to throw up. Shift blame. Don't take responsibilty.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
it was recorded on the black boxes.
Yeah, we know that now. However the NTSB will say more definitively what the data shows after they have finished their investigation.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
so was your liberal Pa governor. he didnt stay long.
Maybe because he has a real job and is in the middle of the budget process with the PA legislature with supposedly, the budget needing to be passed by June 30.

Look, I'm not crazy about Bob Casey either and I'm a Democrat. He's nothing like his dad.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:04 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,153,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The worst we would do as kids is flatten pennies on the track and sled down the hill dangerously onto the tracks.

Or maybe that slight fear came from a pretty terrifying educational movie (for a Kindergartener anyway) a few years before about the dangers of playing on the train tracks. But it was definitely cemented after the tragic story mentioned.
(The following is pretty off topic). Grew up with tracks a quarter mile away, in the woods behind my neighborhood. Did the penny thing. We (3 girls) would also go up to the tracks, pretend we could hear it coming by putting our ears to the tracks, and then run screaming shrilly the minute we saw the light of a train in the far distance. Trains have always been a source of cheap thrills, I guess.

And I bet I saw the same educational movie. So ominously shot, and terrifying.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,247,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Maybe because he has a real job and is in the middle of the budget process with the PA legislature with supposedly, the budget needing to be passed by June 30.

Look, I'm not crazy about Bob Casey either and I'm a Democrat. He's nothing like his dad.

and Timoney doesn't have a real job either?

Old 05-14-2015, 10:58 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 29 days ago)

43,600 posts, read 44,324,560 times
Amtrak train derailment: Body of 8th victim found in crash wreckage | abc7.com

Old 05-14-2015, 01:20 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,971,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Having rocks and snowballs and other crap launched at your windows is indeed one of the most interesting parts of riding on the regional rail through North Philadelphia. I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that it had anything to do with the accident - but it would be great if they would clamp down on it. Usually the engineer or a conductor just sticks his head out the window and yells the equivalent of "Hey kids, get off my lawn!", even though the very common occurrence is incredibly dangerous to all involved.
You're kidding me. That actually happens? People throw stuff at the trains? What is wrong with people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia