Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 01:56 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
and Timoney doesn't have a real job either?
His "job" is implementing the "Club of Growth" 's agenda. He doesn't represent me and I will never vote for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 02:51 PM

221 posts, read 400,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I don't necessarily believe that he doesn't remember anything. Great defense, eh? Regardless, whether he remembers going over 100mph or not, he still was going that fast which is absolutely absurd. I hope that justice occurs swiftly for the sake of everyone affected by this.
I agree. I could see presenting it as something vague like a "medical episode" from the beginning as a defense but simply saying he doesn't remember sounds a little ridiculous.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:56 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
I agree. I could see presenting it as something vague like a "medical episode" from the beginning as a defense but simply saying he doesn't remember sounds a little ridiculous.
I mean, I could see it being true since he did have head injuries. But it sure seems awfully convenient. And his lawyer is touting him as cooperating with the investigation which I think is an outright lie. He has refused to give a statement, even after the lawyer showed up. And now the lawyer is saying oh he'll talk to police when they ask. They already asked and he refused.

I know they're going to look into whether or not there were any mechanical issues that caused the excessive speed. I have a feeling that won't be the case. The engineer screwed up. Unfortunately his screw up killed 8 people and injured so many more. He has to take responsibility for that.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-14-2015 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: removed inappropriate language

Old 05-14-2015, 03:36 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
This was a national disaster on federal property on a federal carrier. Why does your local mayor feel the need to always jump in front of the camera and start spouting speculation and his personal theories on the case? Too much temptation in these types of national media circus events for local officials to extend their 5 minutes of infamy.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:32 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You're kidding me. That actually happens? People throw stuff at the trains? What is wrong with people?
Whenever I actually see the people doing it (which isn't every time) it's pretty young kids (late elementary school age, probably).

Lots of empty lots along the NEC and it's easy to sneak onto the ROW for adventure seekers. I know in the past couple of years I read about an engineer injured from something thrown through the window through North Philly, even. It was on a railroad forum I lurk on.

The spot along the Chestnut Hill West line as you approach Hunting Park Avenue is another popular spot, because the ROW runs right along a low traffic road lots of kids play in - although it's usually snow/ice in the winter as opposed to the rocks and hard things. Still jarring when it hits your window - but a little easier to appreciate as kids being kids when you can see it coming from ahead.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
This was a national disaster on federal property on a federal carrier. Why does your local mayor feel the need to always jump in front of the camera and start spouting speculation and his personal theories on the case? Too much temptation in these types of national media circus events for local officials to extend their 5 minutes of infamy.

I thought Mayor Nutter crossed the line in his little tirade but it did happen in his city, he has the right to comment even if it was misguided.

The "Federal Property" angle is not going to fly when it effects thousands of Philadlephia employees and emergency personnel.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:55 PM

Is it just me or does national media make Philadelphia out to be this crocodile infested moat that separates NYC and Washington. Ive gotten that impression watching coverage especially FOX and a bit CNN.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Is it just me or does national media make Philadelphia out to be this crocodile infested moat that separates NYC and Washington. Ive gotten that impression watching coverage especially FOX and a bit CNN.
How so? I haven't gotten this impression.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
How so? I haven't gotten this impression.
Impression I got when the accident first happened. A Fox News female anchor who gives off a bad vibe with me to begin with seemed to have Philadelphia in contempt. As if ugh Philadlephia is this useless jungle that needs to be navigated between all the important people in NYC and DC..

It was all NYC and DC. The fact that probably 1/3 of the people on that train had some type of ties to Philadelphia seemed to get overlooked to me.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Impression I got when the accident first happened. A Fox News female anchor who gives off a bad vibe with me to begin with seemed to have Philadelphia in contempt. As if ugh Philadlephia is this useless jungle that needs to be navigated between all the important people in NYC and DC..

It was all NYC and DC. The fact that probably 1/3 of the people on that train had some type of ties to Philadelphia seemed to get overlooked to me.
Well no one on the news ever mentioned that the train's next stop, before NY Penn, was Newark so I feel you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia