Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:28 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,256,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
That poster is a semi-troll who's fixated on the fact that Phila. has a lot of row houses. That is really immaterial since you are simply looking at places to stay for a while.

Keep in mind that the histories of Phila. and Chicago are very different. Chicago was destroyed by fire in the late 19th century so its style of new housing took a different turn. Phila. has never had a physical catastrophe like that and it's older than Chicago.

Anyhow if you are looking for yet another night scene that's pretty central, you might check out Old City, which consists of the area near Independence National Park. Market, Chestnut Sts. 5th - 2nd St. The only draw back...there are a lot more tourists.

There's also Rittenhouse Sq which draws LOTS of people. I like the vibe but it's generally a slightly older crowd than you might be looking for.

South St and Head House Sq. You might want to check that out too.
You need to stop accusing people of being trolls. If you do not agree with a comment. Especially on Philly. Or they would chose another city over Philly? I gave a simple response agreeing with another poster. To visit both cities first.

C-D is full of posters who have cities they prefer? Even do not like and do not spare us their gripes. I yes... do not have Row homes, on top of my like list in housing varieties. I live among them as small towns throughout PA have them as the common old stock housing found. Philly is merely through, the Largest and Densest in its 300,000+ Row homes. Baltimore I read comes in at under 200,000 as a smaller city.
I enjoyed my trips to Center City. Gentrification has improved things a lot. As in most of our Big city centers have.

As for The Great Chicago Fire giving the city a chance to rebuild better? Yes, but as I noted by others post. Chicago's Bungalow belt began in 1910. It was already outside the scope of the city that was during the Fire. But Philly in the SAME ERA 1910... chose to further sub-divide streets by developers to build even tighter Rows as a assembly-line. Sell them to the masses. Was the different Routes each city chose. I made MY PREFERENCE KNOWN. So I noted this. But it is what developers do today too.

When I ventured to Chicago. It was not because I chose it over Philly. It was because I had Great Aunts and Uncles, I could stay with to go to school and was my first trip actually out of PA at 17 fresh out on High School. So my total idea of a Big city became solely Chicago then. I discovered differences when after a few years in the Midwest I ventured through Philly to the Jersey Shore years back.

As I stated before. I did not expect to see housing like my small PA town in the Big city of Philly along cliffs, entering the city front the west, and Row homes through the whole city I just did not expect.... sorry. I already had the vision in my head of a Big city with wider streets and mostly single homes. I knew already I rather not live in Row homes, the cheapest housing in my hometown. There is a REASON? You pay more if the home is a single.

Does not mean I do not appreciate lovely Colonials and Victorian Rows of Philly. There are older dense sought after neighborhoods in Chicago that has housing still tight. Almost virtual Rows? But still technically singles , with green frontage. Some actual parts of some blocks that are attached. These are still my favorite neighborhoods. They are not plain block homes though each is different. I still like the cities Bungalow belt. Especially as that cities CHOICE with front lawns and back alleyways for a garage, yard and power lines run through, over plain solid blocks of tight Rows.

The OP should visit Philly and may very well love Center City? Her choice. Every city has its unique flavor. Good and not as good of aspects, to their cities. Some Specific differences as in housing and topography.

I HAD NO PLAN TO COMMENT IN THIS THREAD AGAIN. I KNOW THE WELCOME YOU GET IN THE PHILLY FORUM. IF YOU DO NOT GIVE PHILLY... ONLY PRAISE AND LOVE. I never lived in Philly, but I am sure I could find plenty to like and even love there.

I got HATE for merely commenting on what Philly could do to make more visitors like the city and to bring in more tourist. I said things that Chicago did and were totally successful, and Philly could do with its Riverfront? In a thread specifically asking that. It was not welcome... you were livid to have Philly not be the Roll model for other cities? Not the other way around.

So thanks for having me respond more. When I had NO intention to further comment here. But the being called a Troll by you again... had me do just that. But what the. heck is a Semi-Troll. . I do not know Kyb01....

It seems you never visited Chicago? Does not seem so. But we should respect others Opinions (if CIVIL), a bit more. If you like diversity of a Big city? Accept diversity of opinions on C-D too. I NEVER SAID DEROGATORY COMMENTS ABOUT PHILLY. You act like I was a Chicago version of that ...."the_curious_urbanist" person? Who I do not see any more.

There are actually NO Chicago forum threads for merely praising Chicago and not new retail or developments. Maybe because it matured and has it all on some form already?

But as Pennsylvanian, a couple hours from Philly I am not entirely a outsider.
END OF RANT

Last edited by steeps; 05-26-2015 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 11:43 AM

9,314 posts, read 12,905,441 times
OP: since you seem to have done some research (and ostensibly have eyes), you've probably figured out that Philly, unlike Chicago, has lots of row homes. That's the full extent of steeps' credibility. If his outspoken hatred of "tight rows" has convinced you to look elsewhere, I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Otherwise, you can safely ignore everything he says.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 05-26-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 12:34 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,851,968 times
Steeps, what on Earth is preventing you from living in the city you love? Maybe your obsession with rowhomes could simmer down if you move far away from any.

BTW, I saw some Chicago style bungalows with large front lawns driving in Frankford today-not my preference but it's not like they're impossible to find in Philly.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:56 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,256,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
OP: since you seem to have done some research (and ostensibly have eyes), you've probably figured out that Philly, unlike Chicago, has lots of row homes. That's the full extent of steeps' credibility. If his outspoken hatred of "tight rows" has convinced you to look elsewhere, I sincerely wish the best of luck.

Otherwise, you can safely ignore everything he says.
Thanks for acknowledging the fact Philly and much of MY STATE not Maryland is Rows ands double homes, for its older stock of housing. Even Pittsburgh does. I do not see that diminishes credibility if true. The OP currently living in Louisville. Surely knows what Row homes are. As for any of the rest of my post? You apparently did not disagree. You just do not want anything that does not seem fully about love of Philly.
I do not know why one objects of a opinion presented civilly and facts about it are true.

Not mentioning it, does not make it not exist? Or the reasoning.... Philly built as it did, and other cities choosing another, are part our preferences to certain cities. Facts backed up by historical accounts are not bashing. Opinions on something both positive and not? Are what we present on C-D. I always applaud all our cities bouncing back from decay. I also do not like negative mentioned of Chicago and comments on its Southside that experienced, some sever decay in the 60s 70s. I merely reply with positive improvements today and what they are. Goggle 360°Streetviews , are a great aid too.

I still can't believe when I said what could be development up and down Columbus Blvd, on a Philly forum. With high-rise living with river views and living by downtown along it. As there is vacant land available. Apparently, it was so AWEFUL to say here. Even Donald Trump was going to, back in 2008 The Crash had him cancel it then. But he continued with his Trump Tower Chicago. While other super-tall's got canceled. Opps I mentioned that other city.

So call MR. TRUMP WRONG, TO ALMOST BUILD ALONG COLUMBUS BLVD. A HIGH-END HIGH-RISE?

My saying also. I could see a Amusement type Pier on along Columbus Blvd. Too. As I see one.... in view of the Ben Franklin. A Shorter one now, with boat docks around it, and land across from it vacant. I noted, it already is a nice drive with shrubs and flowers in the medium.

But Got the HOW DARE I SUGGEST? I'M A OUTSIDER. Do I not think local people can't think for themselves??? LITERALLY, THAT WAS A COMMENT. Just because I said LIKE CHICAGO'S NAVY PIER. A huge tourist success. I could see there, and Included a picture... Yes not of Philly. Not appreciated at all.

Also my seeing high-rises along the Jersey shore between the Aquarium and Ben Franklin Bridge? I got THAY'S NEW JERSEY. So I showed how the Aquarium, IS part of Philly metro, and even listed on Philly's CITY PASS list of tourist sights to visit there, buying entrance to all with one deal price. But OMG they give Camden NO HOPE? Yet you can say that of Camden? Don't dare say Philly has bad areas.

So I DO NOT POP IN UNLESS I see other cities in the topic or as this OP asking If Philly was a Good fit and GREAT SHE DID NOT MENTION..... OR CHICAGO HERE . AS SHE DID IN THE CHICAGO FORUM, of both cities. ALL WERE CIVIL there, but one who bashed Philly totally. NO ONE AGREED WITH. NOT A LOCAL TO EITHER PLACE. Just a short fully derogatory post.

Hope both threads help the OP. But a visit is still best first. With the right College being part of the choice too as others noted. GOOD LUCK TO HER ON EITHER CITY CHOSEN.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:00 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,670,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Steeps, what on Earth is preventing you from living in the city you love? Maybe your obsession with rowhomes could simmer down if you move far away from any.

BTW, I saw some Chicago style bungalows with large front lawns driving in Frankford today-not my preference but it's not like they're impossible to find in Philly.
That came up in other threads: how Steeps really doesn't know as much about the housing stock in Philadelphia as he thinks he does.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:50 PM

236 posts, read 316,689 times
I've lived here without a car for almost three years and have loved it. Combine the transit with a willingness to walk and/or ride a bike and you'll have a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia