U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 6,800 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a recent college grad and was offered a job in newark de in the christiana center. I will start in June 08. I am relocating from NYC and was thinking of philadelphia bc of the city life and public transportation. I will be moving with my boyfriend and he does not drive and needs to move around. I am still undecided between de and phily. Which do you think would be best for me? If phily, what neighborhoods do you recommend? I would like a safe neighborhood. My main worry is finding a neighborhood that would have an ok commute to work and that is easy for my boyfriend to move in with public transportation. I am looking to rent a 1 or 2 bedrooms in the $600-$800 range. I appreciate any input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 07:57 AM

690 posts, read 2,769,449 times
That is a very low rental range for Philly. It will not get you into any of the more desirable and safe neighborhoods. Could you possibly live with roomates?

Not sure how expensive apts are in delaware. Maybe you should post on the Delaware forum as well.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:43 PM

27 posts, read 30,639 times
what was your rent in NYC..if you could afford to live there a similiar rent will get you something very nice here. But $6-800? wont get you a 2 bedroom in el paso tx let alone philly!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:09 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Newark has public transportation that includes train service. The University of Delaware is right there and theres always something going on in a college town. If you or your boyfriend want to get out of town you can easily drive or take the train into Wilmington, Philadelphia, etc. Rent is going to be more reasonable too. In fact, I would look into that asap, since all the college students will be doing the same. You could probably pick up a summer sub-let if you run into problems getting something.

Newark is a great town to live in. Schools aren't the best but as long as you don't have kids, I would choose that over Philly. If you are the wage earner of the two of you, I would think that your commuting and expenses are given a priority. jmho. Oh, and the commute between the two areas is NOT a good one.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,800 times
thanks for your replies. I will look for more information on newark. It seems as if philadelphia would be more expensive and a bad commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia