U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 09:19 PM

77 posts, read 472,600 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Philly to go to UPenn in about 3 months. This is my first move, and I am freaking out.

I want a 1 bedroom near campus, so I guess I'm restricted to university city.

I was thinking of loading my stuff onto movers truck, telling them to store if for a month, coming to Philly, getting a very short sublet, finding a permanent place, then telling the movers to come over.

1) Is this a bad idea ?

2) How long does it take to get a good place in university city ?

I am looking for a quiet place, reasonably secure, close to Upenn, and pollution free if possible. I dont care about cafes and "ambience". It being quiet is paramount (I'm a very light sleeper).
So I would not want a place right next to a bus line/freeway/railroads etc.

3) How much would such a place cost ?

.The movers have two options. The option I'm leaning towards involves me loading stuff onto a 26 feet trailer (I pay only for the space I use), and they transport it over.

4) Is parking such a trailer going to be a problem in university city ?

If it is, then I'll probably choose the "relocube" option from
Move with the Truck Rental Alternative - ABF U-Pack Moving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 08:01 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPointy View Post
I will be moving to Philly to go to UPenn in about 3 months. This is my first move, and I am freaking out.

I want a 1 bedroom near campus, so I guess I'm restricted to university city.
Not necessarily. Students have been known to commute from across the river in Center City (downtown) - though perhaps not as many since new apartment buildings have sprung up. From the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood (which is admittedly not cheap), it's a 30 minute walk or 15 minute bus/train ride to UC.

Quote:
I was thinking of loading my stuff onto movers truck, telling them to store if for a month, coming to Philly, getting a very short sublet, finding a permanent place, then telling the movers to come over.

1) Is this a bad idea ?
Well, I'd look into getting that permanent place now. Most students will have snapped up the best places by the time you arrive in late April/early May. I know that Penn has a good housing referral service. That should be a good start. Papers like Philadelphia Weekly and Philadelphia City Paper can be useful as well. Come out for a few days and take a look around. If the lease you sign doesn't start until June, then you could backtrack and find a sublet. Whatever you do, don't pack your stuff up first without knowing where you'll be living. It's too competitive for the student population.

Quote:
2) How long does it take to get a good place in university city ?

I am looking for a quiet place, reasonably secure, close to Upenn, and pollution free if possible. I dont care about cafes and "ambience". It being quiet is paramount (I'm a very light sleeper).
So I would not want a place right next to a bus line/freeway/railroads etc.
I partially answered this above... but basically if you start looking now, it won't take long at all.

For your preferences, the "sweet spot" might be the area west from 43rd St to 46th Street and south from Pine to Larchwood. You'll avoid most of the rowdiest of students east of 43rd yet have access to the bus on Spruce as well as the light rail trolley on Baltimore. (BTW, both Spruce and Baltimore are perfectly fine, but you may be bothered by the noise of the transit lines.) You could probably even walk to school on most days.

Quote:
3) How much would such a place cost?
Speaking of Penn's housing referral service, I found this link while searching for your answer: http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/offcampusliving/index.php (broken link) . It should give you a decent range of what to expect.

Quote:
The movers have two options. The option I'm leaning towards involves me loading stuff onto a 26 feet trailer (I pay only for the space I use), and they transport it over.

4) Is parking such a trailer going to be a problem in university city ?

If it is, then I'll probably choose the "relocube" option from
Move with the Truck Rental Alternative - ABF U-Pack Moving
Don't get the trailer. As parking is a premium in UC (and most places in or close to Center City), you'll have to pay the city for a parking permit in addition to whatever the trailer rental fee is. You'd also likely incur the wrath of your neighbors who probably wouldn't be happy to see a trailer taking up valuable space. Please consider moving after you have an apartment secured.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the detailed replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Not necessarily. Students have been known to commute from across the river in Center City (downtown) - though perhaps not as many since new apartment buildings have sprung up. From the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood (which is admittedly not cheap), it's a 30 minute walk or 15 minute bus/train ride to UC.
Center city did seem more expensive compared to UC

Quote:
Well, I'd look into getting that permanent place now. Most students will have snapped up the best places by the time you arrive in late April/early May.
I'm a bit puzzled by this, doesnt the spring semester end in May ?
If so, wont may-june be off peak for housing ?
Also, will landlords rent out three months in advance ? Isnt it usually 1 month or less in advance ?

Quote:
I partially answered this above... but basically if you start looking now, it won't take long at all.
How long is that again ? Less than a week ?

Quote:
Don't get the trailer. As parking is a premium in UC (and most places in or close to Center City), you'll have to pay the city for a parking permit in addition to whatever the trailer rental fee is. You'd also likely incur the wrath of your neighbors who probably wouldn't be happy to see a trailer taking up valuable space. Please consider moving after you have an apartment secured.
That sucks How much would a parking permit cost in UC for a moving trailer ?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed replies

Center city did seem more expensive compared to UC

I'm a bit puzzled by this, doesnt the spring semester end in May ?
If so, wont may-june be off peak for housing ?
Also, will landlords rent out three months in advance ? Isnt it usually 1 month or less in advance?
In most "normal" situations, it's reasonable to secure a place a month in advance. This is an abnormal situation. You might be able to sublet a place from June-Sept as some people are required to rent from Sept-Aug, depending on the landlord. However, some leases may go from June-May. I may be exaggerating slightly about renting your place "today"... but definitely don't wait until the beginning of May.

Quote:
How long is that again ? Less than a week?
If you come prepared and know what you're looking for, it will take less than a week.

Quote:
That sucks How much would a parking permit cost in UC for a moving trailer ?
I don't know the answer for that... except that it probably equals the same as any vehicle. Your neighbors will understand a trailer hanging out for a day or two as that is standard procedure. After that, they will become annoyed.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
In most "normal" situations, it's reasonable to secure a place a month in advance. This is an abnormal situation.
Why is this abnormal ? I'm still a bit confused . If the fall semester does not start till august, why would I face competition from students if I go apt hunting in May ?
In fact, I thought apt hunting in may would be easier, as the spring semester ends in may, so students would move out, increasing rental supply by mid may, making my job easier then (as compare to now when students are still in school).

Quote:
. Your neighbors will understand a trailer hanging out for a day or two as that is standard procedure. After that, they will become annoyed.
Oh, the trailer wont be out for more than 24 hrs. The way ABF moving works is that I would load it up at my place(1 day), they take it to PA, and store it in their terminal till I'm ready. When I'm ready, they would bring the trailer to my PA destination, I'd unload it (again max 1 day), then they take it away.

Would this one day parking be a problem ?

Thanks for the help again

Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 AM

5,673 posts, read 10,245,988 times
It's an abnormal rental area because so many people start leases in September, and they know they will need one well in advance. So people don't wait until May or June because the best apartments will be leased by then. In other areas, renters come and go throughout the year - not so in UC. As the other poster said, you might find a summer sublet in May, but good luck finding an apartment for the year that meets your rather specific needs.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Oh, the trailer wont be out for more than 24 hrs. The way ABF moving works is that I would load it up at my place(1 day), they take it to PA, and store it in their terminal till I'm ready. When I'm ready, they would bring the trailer to my PA destination, I'd unload it (again max 1 day), then they take it away.

Would this one day parking be a problem ?

Thanks for the help again
No problem.

For one night, you'll be fine. With an early May arrival, the neighbors might think you're "flunking out" but you should be okay.

And thanks maf763 for explaining the rental situation in clearer terms than me.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
It's an abnormal rental area because so many people start leases in September, and they know they will need one well in advance. So people don't wait until May or June because the best apartments will be leased by then. In other areas, renters come and go throughout the year - not so in UC. As the other poster said, you might find a summer sublet in May, but good luck finding an apartment for the year that meets your rather specific needs.
Hmmm. If I got it right, then you guys are saying that students rent apts in may/june even though they only need it from mid august, is this correct ?

Also, someone said the following on another forum:
Quote:
I don't think the parking code for University City allows unattended trailers or containers to be dropped on a public thoroughfare - with or without a permit. Parts of the town are restricted to over-dimensional vehicles altogether.
So according to him, I wont be able to get a parked trailer/cube even for one day

Old 01-23-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. If I got it right, then you guys are saying that students rent apts in may/june even though they only need it from mid august, is this correct ?
Yes, that's correct. It's the law of supply and demand. The flipside is that it is easy to offer or find a summer sublet for those students who have internships or who otherwise want to continue their semi-independence.

Quote:
So according to him, I wont be able to get a parked trailer/cube even for one day
I wasn't aware of that but I wouldn't be surprised. Moving trucks are common, of course, especially at the beginning and end of the semesters. I admit not recalling seeing any around overnight, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or