U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 09:47 PM

3 posts, read 10,485 times

Advertisements

I got a job in Downingtown. Can anyone recommend a cool, hip area to live that is close to Philly? (Because I suppose all the fun is in Philly, or elsewhere?)

Here are some things to consider:

1. Minimal commuting distance or easy commute
2. I'm single female in my mid 20's. I would prefer an area that more single people as oppose to an area with mostly families and kids.
3. Close to shopping areas, malls, golf courses.

Hope it's not too much to ask. Thank you so much for any information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,403 times
Default Similar situation

I'm in a similar situation. In my 20's male looking at possible relocation to Philly from TN. Everywhere I've looked says Manayunk is a great place for young professionals with a good bar scene, shopping, convenient to Center City. Plus if you check out a map there is a golf course close (not sure what quality). I'm trying to decide on an apt. complex or building in the area, so any help with that would be appreciated. I've been looking at apartments.com and 4wallsinphilly.com, I've checked out Craigslist but not knowing the area I'm a little apprehensive. I would like something that's 1 BR convenient to the train to Center City, gym, pool would be great, off street parking and under $1000. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:47 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulutoPA View Post
I got a job in Downingtown. Can anyone recommend a cool, hip area to live that is close to Philly? (Because I suppose all the fun is in Philly, or elsewhere?)

Here are some things to consider:

1. Minimal commuting distance or easy commute
2. I'm single female in my mid 20's. I would prefer an area that more single people as oppose to an area with mostly families and kids.
3. Close to shopping areas, malls, golf courses.

Hope it's not too much to ask. Thank you so much for any information you can provide.
West Chester is a cool little town about 7 miles from Downingtown. WC is a college town and the county seat of Chester County so there are lots of college students and young professionals lawyers, business types etc. Some great bars,restaurants and small shops etc.. There are some nice apt complexes/townhomes on Rt 3 in neighboring West Goshen and Westtown.

King of Prussia might be another option. This area is a little more suburban sprawl oriented but its centrally located. fairly easy access to Downingtown,West Chester,Conshohocken,Mainline,manayunk,Chestnut Hill, and Center City Philly.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2179 View Post
I'm in a similar situation. In my 20's male looking at possible relocation to Philly from TN. Everywhere I've looked says Manayunk is a great place for young professionals with a good bar scene, shopping, convenient to Center City. Plus if you check out a map there is a golf course close (not sure what quality). I'm trying to decide on an apt. complex or building in the area, so any help with that would be appreciated. I've been looking at apartments.com and 4wallsinphilly.com, I've checked out Craigslist but not knowing the area I'm a little apprehensive. I would like something that's 1 BR convenient to the train to Center City, gym, pool would be great, off street parking and under $1000. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Manayunk isnt a bad option especially if you can get into one of the newer apartments along the river which has private parking.Manayunk has a different vibe to it as its an old milltown that has transformed itself from city neighborhood into a gentrifying hip area.Weekends can get a little congested and noisy. There is an outstanding bike/jogging trail nearby that can take you in any of 3 directions-Center City-Chestnut Hill and Valley Forge.

Its one of Phillys safer neighborhoods, but its very dense so if you dont like urban spaces you might be better off on the other side of the river and up the hill to City Line/ Mainline.Or perhaps the other direction to Chestnut Hill/Mount Airy.

My sterotype of Tn. would be equivalent to our far suburbs like Downingtown and West Chester. If possible you might be advised to take a trip beforehand to see the different neighborhoods/towns. The big eastern cities tend to cause a pretty good dose of culture shock for most outsiders.

Good luck

Old 01-21-2008, 10:28 AM

690 posts, read 2,769,449 times
I second rainrock's suggestion of West Chester. The commute to Downingtown is a breeze and it has a pretty decent bar scene. Make sure to check out Iron Hill Brewery as well Kildare's Irish Pub. Lots of college kids and young professionals in WC.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:11 PM

3 posts, read 10,485 times
Default thanks everyone for you input!

Thank you everyone for you input! I really really appreciate it! i felt really lost before and now have a clearer idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or