Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM

8 posts, read 56,481 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Philly (from CT), and was hoping some people might be able to tell me a little about the area as I've never been before. If I do move, it will need to be in or around Glenside (within a 15-20 min. drive probably). Here's what I'm interested in hearing about...

- which towns in the general area I might look into based on schools (I have a young family), general real estate market, safety, etc.
- Regarding real estate - I'm most interested in buying. A nicer quality of life definitely trumps cost of living.
- I enjoy outdoor pursuits (hiking, fishing, etc.) and while I know that suburban PA isn't exactly Colorado, I'd be interested in hearing if there are any towns that feel less densely populated. I'm not a huge fan of the new developments where every house is on .00001 acre, and looks exactly like the next one.
- I don't need ridiculous night life (and doubt I would get it in the suburbs if I wanted it), but I would like a nice town with some good restaurants, normal things to do, etc.

So that's the general idea. Any comments beyond what I've asked specifically would be welcome of course. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 03:26 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Ambler might be what you're looking for. Good school district (Wissahickon), the town of Ambler is small but has several decent restaurants. In addition, there's plenty of decent restaurants in nearby Blue Bell and also in Lower Gwynedd. For outdoor activity, you will find that certain parts of suburban Philly still have some open spaces in them because some of these properties are huge old-money estates. Fort Washington State Park is about 10 minutes from Ambler, if that.

Also, Upper Dublin School District is a top-tier district, and Upper Dublin makes up some of the area that surrounds Ambler. It's not developed like the town of Ambler; it's largely big homes on 1-acre properties. Lower Gwynedd is pretty much the same thing; I'm not sure but I think most if not all of Lower Gwynedd is in Wissahickon instead of the Upper Dublin SD.

Glenside itself isn't bad (I used to live there). It's closer to the city and is a little more blue-collar, but it has a little downtown strip (google Keswick Theatre, Keswick Tavern), as well as several other pretty decent hangouts. It's in the Abington SD, which is much more diverse than the Wiss. or UD (note that the Wiss. and UD school districts are diverse in that they have Asian and Jewish populations). Abington also has a Jewish population, but in general it's much more diverse. If you don't want to live in Glenside (which is in Abington Township), there's also Abington itself. Both Glenside and Abington have certain sections with great housing stocks. You could also check out Elkins Park, Melrose Park, and Cheltenham, but watch out for the taxes.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
There are alot of varying type communities in and around Glenside.Not too far away is elegant historic Chestnut Hill, Mount Airy and Erdenheim which have an amazing older housing stock.Glenside/Jenkintown are older middle class towns that show their age but have held up pretty well over the years. Horsham, Lafayette Hill,Springfield Township,Flourtown,Fort Washington,Abington are your typical clean safe middle class suburbia. Then you have upscale communities for the upper middle class and wealthy not too far off in places like Huntington Valley,Bryn Athyn,Gwenydd Valley,Blue Bell.

Horsham was rated #15 in the 100 Best Places to Live in 2007 (Cnn+ Moneymagazine)

There is a great outdoors area in NW Philly(Chestnut Hill) Wissahickon Gorge. Hiking,biking,fishing, etc. here are a few pics courtesy of Phillyskyline. Also Forst Washington State Park and Valley Forge National Park are close by.

Good luck

Old 01-15-2008, 07:59 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
The area surrounding Glenside - what I like to call the "V" above Philly - is definitely not filled with cookie cutter homes on top of each other. It's primarily older varied housing stock that is generally well-maintained.

I will throw my support unabashedly towards my hometown! Abington has grown up around the Willow Grove Mall and therefore has its share of chain and local restaurants. Nearby Jenkintown has a cool, family-friendly downtown area; that neighborhood is a bit on the expensive side.

All the other towns mentioned are fine, "typical suburbia" as rainrock put it. The hype for best schools seems tilted towards the far western suburbs but your kids will get a solid education anywhere in eastern Montgomery County.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-17-2008 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Tilted was "titled" wrong. :)

Old 01-16-2008, 03:00 PM

So after looking around on a map to find these places, I'm hearing that I would probably be interested in looking west of Glenside (to make a broad generalization), at least as opposed to east or south. Do 309 and I276 actually break about towns along socio-economic lines? Or does it just seem like it based on what people have said? I get the feeling that south and east of those highways, it's more blue collar and north/west gets more gentrified/upper class.

I'm having a hard time determining distance (concerned mainly with driving time). How long would a typical rush hour drive take from Blue Bell to Glenside? Erdeheim? I know that it's completely dependent on a number of factors, but it's just difficult to look at a map and have any sense of perspective. I appreciate the help very much!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 12,715 times
goto:[url=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Glenside,+PA,+United+States+of+America&sa=X &oi=map&ct=image]Glenside, PA, United States of America - Google Maps[/url]

Click on the Street View button on the Top R Then click on the "+" a few times on the Upper L and you will be able to view the town in VR Stop by 62 E Glenside Ave for the best Pizza within 30 miles

Old 01-16-2008, 05:06 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Glenside to Blue Bell would be about 20 minutes- 8-10 miles

Glenside to Erdenheim/Springfield/Flourtown about 10 minutes. 4-5 miles

You have a pretty good grasp on it. South+ East of Glenside is much older., more developed,more urban, more diverse. N,Ne, NW,W,SW of Glenside is much more affluent, much less diverse and suburban oriented.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:18 AM

Thanks! Helpful information.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 12,608 times
I just moved to NE Philadelphia from New York and I am looking for cheap or free land in PA for personal and commercial use. Does anyone know of any available land?
Blessed Child
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia