Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:32 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times

Advertisements

They don't want to make them something that someone would want to steal, or that would be easy to steal. And they have to be tanks that can live outside 24/7/365.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 06:14 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
I hear they are heavy? My husband's friend tried it out and said he felt like a "douche" when he happened to catch a glimpse of himself in a storefront LOL. Anyone else relate to either of these sentiments? Regardless, I'm glad I see so many out enjoying them.
Nope, don't find them heavy. At my age, looking a bit silly on them, is the last thing on my mind. Lol

Old 06-13-2015, 07:18 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Feeling silly on an obvious bikeshare bike is like feeling silly because you don't like the styling of the bus you're riding in.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:56 AM

252 posts, read 233,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Nope, don't find them heavy. At my age, looking a bit silly on them, is the last thing on my mind. Lol
Good for you!

Old 06-15-2015, 07:00 AM

155 posts, read 371,932 times
I was thinking about giving this a shot as well to avoid using the subway.

I was looking at the website. I assume the number of bikes / docks at the locations are updated in real time? Or at least close?

Old 06-15-2015, 07:33 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
I hear they are heavy? My husband's friend tried it out and said he felt like a "douche" when he happened to catch a glimpse of himself in a storefront LOL. Anyone else relate to either of these sentiments? Regardless, I'm glad I see so many out enjoying them.
If anything, I personally think that the bike looks urban and hip to me.....

Old 06-15-2015, 11:07 AM

252 posts, read 233,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
If anything, I personally think that the bike looks urban and hip to me.....
Yeah, my friend who said it has some personal image qualms that I don't understand. Most likely the majority of people would agree with you, asiandude.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:50 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
My coworker is doing the monthly plan and biking to work. Problem is, when he gets by the office, all the docking stations are full! He ends up having to ride around for another 15min to find somewhere to dock the bike, and ends up having to walk a decent amount anyway which is defeating the whole purpose of using the service. He's about ready to cancel his membership if they don't add more stations.
Just my opinion, but if he's biking to work consistently, it might make sense for him to just bite the bullet and buy a bike. The added benefit for him is that he doesn't have to find an Indego docking station, just a regular bike rack. Plus, that'll leave one more Indego bike for occasional users.

Old 08-07-2021, 02:52 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
How's the bikeshare system now?? I am a tourist coming up to visit Philly and seems like these bikes would be an ideal way to get around to all the various urban neighborhoods. It's got such good coverage throughout the urban core. But on tripadvisor someone mentioned that urban Philly isn't super bike-friendly and it may be challenging for someone who isn't used to it (like myself). Thoughts??

Old 08-08-2021, 09:29 AM

445 posts, read 413,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
How's the bikeshare system now?? I am a tourist coming up to visit Philly and seems like these bikes would be an ideal way to get around to all the various urban neighborhoods. It's got such good coverage throughout the urban core. But on tripadvisor someone mentioned that urban Philly isn't super bike-friendly and it may be challenging for someone who isn't used to it (like myself). Thoughts??
Philadelphia has great bones for biking - flat, grided streets, an easy layout to navigate, frequent intersections which work against most drivers incessant "need to speed". However, the City has done little to encourage biking and is far behind peer cities in protected bicycle infrastructure. Many older residents and newer former suburbanites will whine about bikes without realizing we are so far behind. That being said, you should be fine biking around most of Center City and its environs. It's kind of like biking anywhere really - assume most drivers aren't paying attention to the road (they aren't) and stick to bike lanes unless you feel very comfortable riding in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia