U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,744 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering to buy a home in Chester county. what school districts are good in this county? Especially I would appreciate your suggestions on Downingtown West school distrcit?

Thanks
mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 05:50 AM

27 posts, read 97,178 times
Downingtown schools have a good reputation, though I recall hearing things about a teachers strike or plans for one.

Google PA School Report Cards to find the website that grades the PA schools. You'll find all sorts of interesting info in there, beyond test scores. Visit the schools as well before deciding, though realize you'll see only their party face.

It's not easy moving kids.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:05 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,903,003 times
Downingtown teachers have been without a contract since August. By the time the OP moves, hopefully that would be settled. Downingtown is good - don't go any farther west into Coatesville.

Check out SchoolMatters - Home for comparison of individual schools as well as districts.

Do a search on this bb, or just scroll down a bit and you will see that this topic has been discussed numerous times.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:51 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,770,661 times
Its almost impossible to find a bad school district in Chester County. The 3 best are Great Valley,Tredyffrin-Eastown, and Unionville Chadds Ford.

Downington West is a very good school district as is Downingtown East.

Good luck.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 3,814 times
Default TE vs Great valley vs Unionville

I am planning to move to Chester county and looking for some advice about best school district for my 3rd grade and 8th grade kids. I see TE and Unionville are very close. Please provide comments.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:57 PM

283 posts, read 366,851 times
You can't go wrong either way honestly. Every school district in Chester County (with the exception of Coatesville) is quite good. Each sends many students to top tier schools, ivys, military academies, etc... All of them also send kids to community colleges. I'm a senior in a Chester County school (Phoenixville, also very good), so I have a good deal of experience with all of them. With that being said, some do, however, send more kids to top tier schools than others, notably the ones previously mentioned. I find this not to be that the quality of the education is really any better, but rather that the demographics for those districts includes a higher proportion of upper-middle class families; smart people are upper-middle class, smart people have smart kids. Regardless, if you are smart, and your kids have some natural ability, than they can succeed in any district in Chester County.

As for the Unionville v. TE question, I have no real say in the matter. From what I've experienced, along with the traditional stereotypes about kids from certain schools, I'd say that kids from TE ('Stoga) tend to be more the arrogant, entitled, trust-fund, think-they-deserve-the-world, kind of kid. Unionville kids tend to be more down to earth, perhaps because its much more rural. With that being said, I've met kids I like and don't like from both schools. That's just my experience. I could explain to you why I think Phoenixville is in fact the best school in Chester County (despite its reputation it holds from the 80's, when it wasn't so good), but you don't appear to be interested in living that far north in Chester County based on the schools you seem to be interested in. But if you want I'd gladly give share! Good luck with the home search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or