Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:54 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times

Advertisements

If you do end up in Manayunk or Conshy, you will skip driving on 76 altogether. From Manayunk you can take Ridge and/or other back roads and it's about 20min. Conshy is a straight 10-15min drive north-ish. Both of these are on the Manayunk/Norristown train line which is a straight shot to CC without having to drive at all. What's your price range btw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 08:54 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Maybe look for something short term around Conshohocken-Wayne -King of Prussia-Valley Forge until you get to know the area. You will meet new friends at work and Im sure they will offer great advice .

Center City/University City is terrific for young people but you dont have to dive in head first. You have the Philadlephia wage tax to consider/commute + parking will be a drag. You can always visit the city after work and on weekends. Get a feel if that is where you want to be in the longer term. Schuylkill River Trail in Center City is a wonderful recreational area for biking,jogging etc etc..
I think this is a good suggestion. Even if it's not short-term, your first year will likely fly, so a one-year lease shouldn't cause you too many problems.

Conshy, Wayne, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, King of Prussia (less walkable)-- all great areas with lots to do.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
If you do end up in Manayunk or Conshy, you will skip driving on 76 altogether. From Manayunk you can take Ridge and/or other back roads and it's about 20min. Conshy is a straight 10-15min drive north-ish. Both of these are on the Manayunk/Norristown train line which is a straight shot to CC without having to drive at all. What's your price range btw?
Brain fart, I thought your job was in Plymouth Meeting. So obviously Conshy would be a very short commute since that's where you're working. And still with Manayunk you can take Ridge or other roads to avoid 76 completely.

I think wherever you end up, you should be on a train line for easy access to Center City and not having to drive/park. That would mean no to places like Plymouth Meeting and KOP.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:22 AM

5 posts, read 6,532 times
I agree with you, I think Conshy or Manayunk would be perfect due to their accessibility to the city and my job. I will coming out this weekend to take a look (and driving from Illinois, shows how much I love driving lol). If I could ever meet you guys someday, you all deserve a round of shots lol you've truly helped me narrow down my choices and have given me some great advice.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:31 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Here is my take, CC would be the most active. Manyunk is somewhat active, ep for your age group but to me Conshy is decent enough and also forgoees city wage tax. If not in CC I would just move to Conshy

Old 07-14-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox2003 View Post
I agree with you, I think Conshy or Manayunk would be perfect due to their accessibility to the city and my job. I will coming out this weekend to take a look (and driving from Illinois, shows how much I love driving lol). If I could ever meet you guys someday, you all deserve a round of shots lol you've truly helped me narrow down my choices and have given me some great advice.
Good luck! I like to use Hotpads to find rentals, that's how I found my house in Manayunk. I think Conshy fares better with parking than Manayunk so if you do end up choosing Manayunk, I would get parking somewhere if it's not included (I currently park in the lot at Main/Green and pay $65 per month - after 2 massive hit and runs on my car, wasn't worth parking on the street anymore).

Old 07-14-2015, 11:49 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
I think if you're new to the area and working in Conshy, then living in Conshy would make the most sense. Has a little downtown scene with young people but without the hassles of getting to work plus the Philly wage tax. It also is in a super-convenient location for getting INTO center city. After a year, you can decide whether you want to make the leap to CC. BTW, you may already know this, but the local pronunciation of Conshy is CUNN-shee. I have no idea why...it just it what it is. Good luck -- Philly is a great city!

Old 07-15-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
BTW, you may already know this, but the local pronunciation of Conshy is CUNN-shee. I have no idea why...it just it what it is.
I have seriously never heard it pronounced like that, always conn-shee

Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 AM

236 posts, read 319,160 times
As someone that also came from the Midwest and couldn't imagine living without a car I was a little hesitant to living car free in Philly. I decided to move into Center City and try to live without a car for two months and see if I could handle the "inconvenience" of not having a car.

Within a week and a half I had already decided to sell my car and stay car free. The public transit here is very good, and the city is amazingly walkable and bikable. You will be able to get whatever you need in the city with little trouble. You will also say a ton of money (which my Midwestern sensibilities love). Even with the higher wage tax and higher rent, my cost of living is actually less than it was when I lived in the Midwest!

Nothing wrong at all about living in Conshy or Manayunk. They are great places that are a lot of fun. Conshy is more of a "settling down and starting a family" crowd than Manayunk, but it's still a good place. But if you are having any misgivings about giving up your car, I can tell you as someone that has been there that you have nothing to worry about. Center City is a great place to live and I'm glad I took the plunge and ditched my car so I could have more money to travel and enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia